Brake Recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, my brake pads are wearing rather quickly since adding all this extra weight and larger tires to my 100 series. I'm curious what you guys are using for pads and rotors, OEM or is there something better?

This is what I just installed, Amazon, $50 for both axles, AutoZone wants $140 for both axles for these exact same pads.

IMG_1098.PNG
IMG_1097.PNG

DBA rotors with OEM pads. That's what Slee recommended and I gotta say I'm impressed with the stopping power. They told me that was the longest lasting combination

I liked the DBAs I had on my WRX. I've been looking at those and Terrain Tamers. I believe @orangefj45 sells TT.

DBA rotors with OEM pads. That's what Slee recommended and I gotta say I'm impressed with the stopping power. They told me that was the longest lasting combination

Ditto - DBA rotors and OEM pads. Just replaced the front brake pads and resurfaced front rotors. Feels good again.

OEM pads and rotors, replaced almost 2 years ago, no issues!

Not trying to call anyone out, just pointing out that if they're willing to search, there's usually some threads on it. And if you're just searching all of Mud for "brake pads", yeah, you're probably not going to like the results. But do "brake pads', titles only, and 100 section only, hey presto, pretty good results.

But I did laugh when someone admitted they'd tried to click on the "links" in the screen grab I'd posted. All good.

I like the OEM but they have consistently and unstoppable squeaked. I will probably try DBA rotors and aftermarket pads. Any suggestions on which aftermarket pads to use? Akebono noted.

I use OEM pads front and rear, OEM rotors up front and I have Bosch rotors in the rear, they're fine in my opinion.

One important fact to take note of on Toyota OEM pads verse aftermarket- as you will notice in the picture above of aftermarket pads, almost every brand for every vehicle I have ever seen as in the ones pictured 1/3 to 1/2 of the pad surface is chamfered from the get go. Meaning less actual braking surface initially and more work to be done with less surface area = hotter surface area and faster wear with aftermarket pads. Not sure about the terrain tamer brand, but almost any US sourced pads you will find are like this.

I use OEM pads front and rear, OEM rotors up front and I have Bosch rotors in the rear, they're fine in my opinion.

One important fact to take note of on Toyota OEM pads verse aftermarket- as you will notice in the picture above of aftermarket pads, almost every brand for every vehicle I have ever seen as in the ones pictured 1/3 to 1/2 of the pad surface is chamfered from the get go. Meaning less actual braking surface initially and more work to be done with less surface area = hotter surface area and faster wear with aftermarket pads. Not sure about the terrain tamer brand, but almost any US sourced pads you will find are like this.

I don't mind using OEM brakes, however for the past 65,000 miles I had two sets of OEM brakes, Pads and rotors, and they've always squeaked. It seems to be a problem inherent with OEM pads and rotors, on other cars I've had as well. Do you have this problem?

I don't mind using OEM brakes, however for the past 65,000 miles I had two sets of OEM brakes, Pads and rotors, and they've always squeaked. It seems to be a problem inherent with OEM pads and rotors, on other cars I've had as well. Do you have this problem?

I have gone through one set of rear pads in 40,000 miles. I do have a slight squeak from my rear pads at slow speeds, it does go away if I get them warmed up so to speak if I'm cruising along at say less than 30 mph. Above that and mine are not noticeable.

All that said this is the only vehicle I've ever owned that had a lot of rear braking bias to the extent it does. I have never had a vehicle wear out a set of rear pads and the fronts hardly be worn.

All that being said, I think driving habits are the biggest thing you can do to prolong the life of those items, especially given the size and weight of these things. When I purchased mine, the original owner had taken great care of it, everything documented and done at recommended intervals, second owner who had it for 15k miles not so much, brakes were shot. Just sold the :princess: Volkswagen TDI Jetta sportwagen back to Volkswagen with 85k miles, on original brake pads and rotors-granted she drives kind of like a old grandma but, saves me money:D

looking at upgrading my brakes too after adding bumpers, water tank, jerry cans, tools, etc.

Now I read up the 200 series section and am thinking about 2016 tundra calipers, rotors and dust shields on the front. I will be custom fitting the calipers. However, my only question is if I end up using Tundra rotors will it fit onto the 100 series hub. Can anyone enlighten me please?

We used OEM pads and rotors on 8,000lb+ armored cruisers, they worked very well.... not saying there isn't something else better out there, but I have always been impressed with how well a lot of the OEM components worked with an extra 2,000lbs.

This is what I just installed, Amazon, $50 for both axles, AutoZone wants $140 for both axles for these exact same pads.

View attachment 1485872 View attachment 1485871

The Autozone branded semi metallic pads are not adequate for a heavy landcruiser. I had them on mine and they were terrible. They work fine on my daily 2005 4runner though.

I'm running Hawk super dutys in front and LTS in the rear (seems like they don't have a super duty for the rear when I was looking). They work much better than the Autozone pads. I don't know how they compare to OEM toyota pads though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom