Builds 1975 FJ45-Running Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

More on the transfer case today, taken a few days off work to get some stuff done. had to take the gearbox off the engine to tap the side of the transfer case for the manual 4x4 conversion.

20170623_111118.jpg

M15x1.5 thread, very funny size and expensive to do one hole. But it's done now.

20170623_110051.jpg

Most of the handbrake bits are on, just need a clip to hold the cable in, then tighten the big nuts and fill with oil again.

20170623_150126.jpg

Think I am going to have to get my dr8veshaft shortened again, will fit but only 5mm of up travel before it bottoms out. Really needs 25mm taking off the driveshaft spline and will be sweet.

20170617_162752.jpg

Blasting the body is booked for Monday, so will be stripping everything off the body over the next two days.

looking good man! your welding is awesome. where have your batteries ended up?

looking good man! your welding is awesome. where have your batteries ended up?

Thanks, lots of welding practice when I built the deck. Batteries ended up under the deck just behind the cab, I made a mount to the chassis out of angle that takes them both. Still need to make up something to hold them down, currently cable ties.......

Had a set of later doors that I was planning to use on my truck. Started stripping them for blasting and found someone no one wants to find.....

20170624_144645.jpg

Bog, about 5-6mm thick from the last repair job. Both of the doors are the same, from the handle line to the bottom.

20170624_151957.jpg

Might have to have a rethink, my original passenger door is mint, just issue with my origiginal drivers being the same with lots of bog on the outside to get it straight.....

Finished stripping all of my steel body parts down, every bolt.

20170626_101536.jpg

Dropped all the bits off at the sand blasters, should be back by Friday.

20170626_174540.jpg

Modified the 4x4 lever off the 4 speed all my handbrake parts came from. Bit of messing around but it all works now.

Will be changing the front u bolts tomorrow and may put a cv in the long side.

Tub is back from the sandblasters, no more rust but quite a few holes. I rolled primer on the underside tonight but will be spraying the rest of over the weekend.

20170629_180244.jpg

Got a driver's floorpan on the way from the US, but ordered the other side because of the number of small pinholes.

20170629_180249.jpg

Can see my old drivers floor patch, will be cutting it all out properly this time.

20170629_180254.jpg

Will make it all flush, probably hide the weld where the floor support is.

20170629_180306.jpg

The guy did not want to blast the the big flat areas of the bonnet and the roof encase they buckled. Will use a stripper wheel to finish the job.

20170629_180310.jpg

Main job now is to get etch primer on everything, then onto bodywork which I tho k will take me a while.

Set up my "paint booth", looks funny but works. Only shooting etch primer before bodywork.

20170701_175834.jpg

Just about finished the tub, only under the dash. Came out quite well runs in two places as I knocked the adjustment in my gun and it was spraying a spot.

20170701_154450.jpg

Windscreen and a few small bits finished, underside of the bonnet done. Need to flip it in the morning and do the top.

20170701_180743.jpg

Plus take the rest of the paint off the roof, shoot that and finish the rest of my little bits.

20170701_180736.jpg

20170701_175721.jpg

Mint!

Fantastic progress mate, despite the cost you wont regret replacing the floorpan in that tub, have you moved into that new house yet it must be close to finished?

Fantastic progress mate, despite the cost you wont regret replacing the floorpan in that tub, have you moved into that new house yet it must be close to finished?

Thanks

Yea, will take some time with my tig, but I would rather do it now than habe to do it again later.

20170627_142559.jpg

House is progressing, finish date is mid October. Wanting to finish my 45 by then, will be a lot easier to move with it in one piece and the deck will be handy moving all my big s***.

Bonnet is done, gave it three as it's likely to take more abuse than under the dash or the inside of the roof.

20170702_160705.jpg

Think I am spraying a bit thick as it's taking a while to dry properly but it's not the warmest weekend. Not going to mess with my gun settings as I am happy with the primer finish.

20170702_160724.jpg

Tunnel is the last big bit along the with the topside of the roof, just waiting for the underside to dry. Tunnel will need quite i bit of repair, more rust holes and some of my previous hack work when I did the engine swap.

Been on bodywork for a bit, started on the roof which is mostly done, the bog just needs another final sand, re prime and paint. Started on doing a few bits of steel with my tig and it wasn't going nicely, so decided as I was going both floorpans it was worth getting a mig.

20170714_182925.jpg

Got a good discount though work but still spent a bit much, although after trying it out today was defiantly worth it.

20170715_125632.jpg

Did some practice on some 1.2mm sheet steel and it's so much better than my lift tig setup.

20170715_154603.jpg

Still waiting for my floorpans to turn up, so started on filling old drill holes from PO's and the vent below the windscreen. Had it blocked off for a while so decided to weld over it, will put the original grill over the top so still looks right.

Lots more to do but making progress

Had a set of later doors that I was planning to use on my truck. Started stripping them for blasting and found someone no one wants to find.....

View attachment 1484009

Bog, about 5-6mm thick from the last repair job. Both of the doors are the same, from the handle line to the bottom.

View attachment 1484008

Might have to have a rethink, my original passenger door is mint, just issue with my origiginal drivers being the same with lots of bog on the outside to get it straight.....

Flat metal toughest.
But if you can't find better door,
That section can be improved.
It's probably stretched, domed to the inside.
Shrinking can bring it back flat but takes skilled hand and usually small torch.

Visit YouTube or take it to the oldest body man you can find.

Flat metal toughest.
But if you can't find better door,
That section can be improved.
It's probably stretched, domed to the inside.
Shrinking can bring it back flat but takes skilled hand and usually small torch.

Visit YouTube or take it to the oldest body man you can find.

Thanks for the advice but decided they are not worth fixing. Found some other doors and these are all steel. Two small rust spots but don't need much work.

20170716_171024.jpg

Started on my floorpan replacement, not turned up yet but has quite a bit of work to do forward of the pans to get a solid base. Welded two supports across the tub to stop things moving while I cut and weld. Only going to do one side at a time.

20170716_105025.jpg

Drilled out the spot welds on the tub mount, came off rather easily. Not as bad underneath as I though it would be.

20170716_112330.jpg

Chopped bits out, was conservative with the floor pan part as I am unsure where the new one will end.

20170716_115347.jpg

Had to rebuild the bottom of the A-pillar and patch the outside panel as there was a hole in that.

20170716_134938.jpg

Replaced the flat piece infront of the pan, hammered a flange into it for the floorpan to sit in.

20170716_151820.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom