Club Tech Day... 24 JUNE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok, that was easy! Thank you yet again, Google. I found a 1996 schematic. Should be close enough.

The good: simple circuit, low fuel sensor turns on the light. This sensor is independent of the sender for the fuel gauge. Easy to troubleshoot.

The bad: sensor is located inside the fuel tank. No surprise.

The ugly: low fuel sensor, fuel gauge sender & fuel pump may be one integrated unit. No clue. Anyone know? Low fuel sensor may just be dirty/oxidized and can be fixed by cleaning it (wishful thinking???). No clue how difficult it is to access and remove the unit. On the 4Runner there is an access plate under the rear drivers side seat to get to the electrical connector. Gotta drop the tank to remove the unit.

Clint

Lots of "expert" advice with no fixes on those threads. This should be super easy to diagnose. Unplug the connector on top of the fuel tank, if the light goes out it is a problem inside the tank, if the light stays lit it is a short to ground somewhere in the cable or on the instrument panel. It is a simple circuit, 12V goes to the lamp and the low fuel sensor provides the ground to turn on the lamp. NovaSteve's lamp is finding a ground somewhere. The PIA will be getting access to all the stuff.

It's actually pretty easy, flip up the back seat and there is an access panel on the floor, the connector is right under it. I remember unbolting the seats but I think that was to make more room to pull the pump. If you do pull the pump, be careful with the gasket on the access panel of the tank. They are a PIA to reinstall if they are in bad shape.

Here's a couple of pics from my 91 diagram if it helps. Like you said, simple circuit.

It's hard to read but the "ID2" connector should be near or behind the left kick panel.

conn.jpg

schem2.jpg

Last edited:
The sending unit/pump bracket comes separate from the pump itself. It's isn't cheap though, right around 200 bucks if i remember right. Easy to get at under the rear seat. You'll need to crush washers for the banjo connection on the high pressure line if you pull it out of the tank.

I'm in. I want to install jump seats, rear view mirror, sun visors, and side mirrors.

@emorth, bring your soldering gun(s). I would like to take a shot a fixing my Tundra aux jack in house before dropping $$$ on a new one.
For reference as to what I am talking about:

Will do. No sweat.

This would be a cool one, if we can pull it off. I pulled it apart awhile ago and found where the solder had cracked around one of the pins, making it loose. I just wasn't confident enough in my soldering gun to try to desolder and resolder it.

Stump, did you say you will be open for business after 0830? I also have a pretty good soldering iron. I can bring it if you guys want it.

Yes sir.
Stump, did you say you will be open for business after 0830? I also have a pretty good soldering iron. I can bring it if you guys want it.

I have a tiny tip (don't go there :cautious:) soldering iron that I use for surface mount parts (along with the big magnifying glass for old farts who can't see for s**t anymore). It will do the job, no problem. OBTW, that appears to be a generic audio jack. If it is toast we can get a replacement.

As requested, I will let the 1st comment slide.
I am now one of those old farts as well.
It's good to know that it's a generic part, given that even amazon wants $80 for the replacement.

I'm ordering one for the wife's Lexus now. Maybe for the next tech day??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom