Minimalist vehicle-borne camping (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This applies to that post.

It's camping.
People decide they need a bunch of specialized equipment and "build" a rig.
A more logical approach would be to simply go.
This leads to statements like "I sure wish we had brought some folding chairs." Which leads to the purchase of chairs, for example.
Most times you think of a bunch of stuff that would make traveling more comfortable and or safer. Perhaps you go with friends and notice equipment they have that makes the travels easier. Perhaps you start taking a notepad on your trips and listing things you want/need and make those acquisitions before the next adventure. As you become better equipped you feel safer and travel further and stay longer.
This process continues until you go out on a trip and don't have anything to write down.

Then you have built an collection of equipment that exactly suits your needs and the style of travel you partake in.

Nothing more, nothing less.
That's a nice idea & vey helpful, but you've missed my point, so no - it doesn't apply to my post.

The OP posed the question: "Do you prefer to experience the wilderness with all the comforts of home, or does your pioneer spirit win out and compel you to camp in a minimalist fashion?"

Using sarcasm I was trying to show that when we're young and full of energy, the "minimalist" approach may sound romantic or ecological or whatever. Through experience (which is by the way the toughest teacher - It gives you the test 1st and the lesson later...lol) we find that in the long run, comfort wins out and rises on the priority list. Sacrificing for no reason or for the pretense of a "pioneer spirit" seem to be immature and useless. Most of us get surprised and handed enough challenges to keep us from looking for trouble. Seems like everyone has posted some of their stuff or ideas to be prepared when they're camping and that's fine. But, IMHO that's not the question that was asked. That's why I posted what I did.

That's a nice idea & vey helpful, but you've missed my point, so no - it doesn't apply to my post.

The OP posed the question: "Do you prefer to experience the wilderness with all the comforts of home, or does your pioneer spirit win out and compel you to camp in a minimalist fashion?"

Using sarcasm I was trying to show that when we're young and full of energy, the "minimalist" approach may sound romantic or ecological or whatever. Through experience (which is by the way the toughest teacher - It gives you the test 1st and the lesson later...lol) we find that in the long run, comfort wins out and rises on the priority list. Sacrificing for no reason or for the pretense of a "pioneer spirit" seem to be immature and useless. Most of us get surprised and handed enough challenges to keep us from looking for trouble. Seems like everyone has posted some of their stuff or ideas to be prepared when they're camping and that's fine. But, IMHO that's not the question that was asked. That's why I posted what I did.

Not criticizing your viewpoint as I think it's valid..... but I find that with experience I have learned how comfortable and easy it is to camp with less. I like not having to futz with stuff and knowing that very few things can go wrong.

I have never been more carefree and comfortable when I hiked for 2 days, 50 miles with an 8 lb pack (sleep bag/pad/bag of granola/water/jacket). I used to carry a 35 lb pack. I'm never going back to a 35 lb pack. And I'm not young and energetic after 5 decades.

That's the spirit I would like to have with overlanding as well.

Thanks for bringing this up... I have had a hard time with the new overland trend because it feels like too much comfort. When I go camping, I don't mind it be uncomfortable and embrace it

Funny, I see my quote as an expansion of exactly what you said. As we gain experience we add gear to be more comfortable.

I've never been a big gear guy in any of my interests , I just see a simple way working very well. And sticking with what works for me. As said above , I can sleep in the back of my rig without any sleeping platform or anything or just put up a tarp to sleep under. If the weather is bad and wife along then I'll put up a tent. I wish I could sleep all night in a hammock but I just can't do it comfortably . Cooking, I just can't get into the big multi course meals folks cook up, I know that's part of their experience but I can do that at home, a small Coleman stove and a pot and skillet and I'm good, I cook simple to eat . I'm not a minimalist , it's just that a poor boy has poor ways. Lol

Last edited:
I guess different strokes for different folks. I find my self easily annoyed my the "overland" pages that have gear conversations all the time but never any trip photos. Personally, I like to be somewhat minimal but the Dometic fridge came from a dual battery project. I used to think they were dumb. After a cold beer I feel differently.... I used to think heated steering wheels were dumb too. Then my Pathfinder came a long. I'm totally cool with the heated wheel. I cant be as minimalist anymore. My back hates the hard ground. I had to buy a cot. Dammit.

When it comes to being completely free and completely no impact the only way to go is blue water kayak. No trace and no stuff on your back to give you blisters and sore backs!

I love the hammock set ups but am I the only one who has difficulty getting fully to sleep in one? I love to sort of crash out on a Sunday afternoon under a tree in the back yard but I never completely fall asleep. I think I may buy one of those really lite back packer ones to keep on the truck.

I very rarely stay in one spot for more than a night. Therefore as a necessity my stuff is easily deployed and not too elaborate. I'm set up and chilling in 20 minutes, easy.

I rarely stay in place for more than a night, and so my stuff is easily deployable. In 15 minutes I am basically set up and chililng

I cant be as minimalist anymore. My back hates the hard ground. I had to buy a cot. Dammit.

I love the hammock set ups but am I the only one who has difficulty getting fully to sleep in one? I love to sort of crash out on a Sunday afternoon under a tree in the back yard but I never completely fall asleep. I think I may buy one of those really lite back packer ones to keep on the truck.

That I can agree with ! My back is garbage after years of competing in Freestyle skiing and riding DH mtn bikes. If I sleep on the ground I'm F@#ked for the next 2 days+ and Hammocks are cool but same thing, I don't think I have ever legit fallen fully asleep.

What Cot do you pack? I was leaning toward a nice Air mattress....compact and light. we are taking a Trip in July and I gotta start building my Overland trailer lol.

I bought a Coleman one in Amazon. Nothing special. But I spread my power lounger out on it and it does real well. Air mattresses just don't offer enough support for me.

I love this topic. I started camping in my teens in the 60's. A tarp, sleeping bag, and small backpack worked whether I camped out of my car or backpacked. Same gear for both experiences.

By the time I hit 30, I bought a small import pickup (Plymouth Arrow with an old Bel-Air shell and carpet kit) and used the same backpacking gear. That was luxury but my then new wife hated it. A few years later, we bought a 9' Lance camper and truck to carry it. Self-contained, it satisfied my wife. All we had to do was pull up somewhere, maybe level the truck with a couple blocks and we were done. All the comforts of home were inside that 9' camper but we could park it stunning locations and would sit with our glass of wine or beer and enjoy the country.

Next came kids and two 5th wheels, first was small and the second (still have) was larger. Hated those because we could no longer tuck them into the cool spots (we always have avoided campgrounds whenever possible in favor of dispersed camping). But, like the camper, they were good for long trips and we took a couple that were 6 months.

About 9 years ago, I bought a Pleasureway Traverse van (if you don't know this model, think of an old Westy built on a Ford Econoline). My wife has never been camping in it but my boys and I did lots of trips with it. Built in 2-way fridge, stove top, heat, a/c, sink and water. Pull into a spot, pop the top, done.

I have NEVER liked setting up camp and smile to myself when I see all the photos of campsites with tons of gear that needed to be unpacked and then repacked after a day or three. The below photo was along a creek at a dispersed site in the SNRA. When we drove off in the morning, no one would have even known we were there save for the tire tracks:

SNRA.JPG

The same here from a couple weeks ago in the Kaibab on the South Rim of the Grand Canyon:

About all I need to do is take a chair outside if it's a pleasant day/evening. The reason I like this simple approach is I don't need to unpack, wind and rain and bugs are a non-issue, and I'm never in a spot more than a single evening - I'm a traveler and not really a camper. I should add that for local Idaho overnighters, I often just take my Lexus Land Cruiser, a few snacks, and sleep in back (I keep some basics in the rig at all times) and, sometimes, even under the stars in a sleeping bag on a self-inflatable pad. To me, a van camper is about as simple as it gets vs. what most do.

Last edited:
That I can agree with ! My back is garbage after years of competing in Freestyle skiing and riding DH mtn bikes. If I sleep on the ground I'm F@#ked for the next 2 days+ and Hammocks are cool but same thing, I don't think I have ever legit fallen fully asleep.

What Cot do you pack? I was leaning toward a nice Air mattress....compact and light. we are taking a Trip in July and I gotta start building my Overland trailer lol.

Just picked up the Camp Time wide Roll A Cot with the sleeve for the included air mattress (surprisingly awesome). My wife and I each had a fantastic night sleep on them. Sold!

+1 on minimalist camping. i think it's the best kind of camping for me. less stuff to organize and i find great satisfaction in finishing a trip with just the bare minimum (while staying comfy and fed nice!). i do car camping as well with the coolers, chairs, bikes, dishes, and extra crap, but there's just something about going deep into nature with basic items and "getting away" with it. lol.

the main difference between back country and wheeling trips is the mode of transport and having tools/recovery gear and just a little more stuff in the truck only because there's a little room to carry. i can essentially get by with what i have on the SUP board with my son plus some tools and more liquids. :)

and +1 on jungle hammocks. takes up less space and super comfy to sleep in.

Last edited:
so solo/single/no kids camping is standard (minimalist) gear. Family camping, I've adjusted as they've grown. Gone is the 6 person tent, 60k BTU Camp Chef stove+tank, complete and matching cookware, second table, 10ft EZ-UP, second cooler, DVD player w/ pop-up amphitheater, extra pillows, shoes/clothes, second/third lamp and backups of everything :) Now, everyone is allowed one backback and most gear is now all backpacking size and weight (exception: 3.5 REI sleeping mattresses). No more roof rack but added a fridge.

In a few years we will need the roof rack for longer/isolated trips. For me, the emptynest will equal overlanding with mainly hotel stops.

After camping 7 days on the beach I came home with some insight. A big slide in camper on a 4x4 truck would have been nice. I had rain and high winds for 48 hours in the middle of the week. A larger size for me would have meant cooking and going to bathroom under cover. Instead there was cold food and getting wet for bathroom breaks. I lived in damp humid conditions for 2 days. Waiting out a storm front in the front seat of your car or sleeping it away in the back is NOT fun. I couldn't wait for the sun to come out so I could dry everything out. If I had a really large camper I would have been in a campground and not experienced the beach as I did. I just learned my limitations. Just like designing a boat hull ...every curve has a purpose and no one design does everything good. Make your design work for you. I have at times owned too much "stuff" in my life, Too big a boat, etc. Maintenance, financial burdens, taxes, insurance...goes up exponentially with larger camper/rv/boat. Take what you need and try not to bring to much stuff or you will overburden yourself. Would I do it again ? Of course. Would my wife come?..uh Noooooooooo.

cape lookout 6-2017 beach scene.jpg

cape lookout 6-2017 cruiser behind cedar root.jpg

cape lookout 6-2017 sleep platform.jpg

If I believed in the concept of minimalist camping, I'd be on a REI sponsored forum. :flipoff2:

Yup, i bring the kitchen sink and lumbar down the right lane with my 7k lb of BBW baby!!!! When I want to get to get frisky with the current GF, I just fire up the hot water producer under the hood and it's all about Bow Chicky Bow Bow bitches. :hillbilly:

If I believed in the concept of minimalist camping, I'd be on a REI sponsored forum. :flipoff2:

Yup, i bring the kitchen sink and lumbar down the right lane with my 7k lb of BBW baby!!!! When I want to get to get frisky with the current GF, I just fire up the hot water producer under the hood and it's all about Bow Chicky Bow Bow bitches. :hillbilly:

If you think an REI sponsored forum is hardcore check out Backpacking Light :)

After camping 7 days on the beach I came home with some insight. A big slide in camper on a 4x4 truck would have been nice. I had rain and high winds for 48 hours in the middle of the week. A larger size for me would have meant cooking and going to bathroom under cover. Instead there was cold food and getting wet for bathroom breaks. I lived in damp humid conditions for 2 days. Waiting out a storm front in the front seat of your car or sleeping it away in the back is NOT fun. I couldn't wait for the sun to come out so I could dry everything out. If I had a really large camper I would have been in a campground and not experienced the beach as I did. I just learned my limitations. Just like designing a boat hull ...every curve has a purpose and no one design does everything good. Make your design work for you. I have at times owned too much "stuff" in my life, Too big a boat, etc. Maintenance, financial burdens, taxes, insurance...goes up exponentially with larger camper/rv/boat. Take what you need and try not to bring to much stuff or you will overburden yourself. Would I do it again ? Of course. Would my wife come?..uh Noooooooooo.
I grew up on the Oregon Coast and hate beach camping. Even the campfires lack gusto unless you build something that rivals Burning Man.
We camp inland and make day trips to the coast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom