Identifying brake calipers: 1992 vs. 1996 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I tried searching to no avail...

I have a '92 LC but the PO stated that he allegedly replaced the front brakes (calipers/rotors) and the master cylinder with '96+ equipment. Some of the info I got from the PO hasn't been super reliable, so I'm questioning whether or not this was truly done.

The front pads are worn and are hitting the wear indicator. I live in a rural area so I'd like to order pads...but I'm not sure which pads to order. Is there an easy way to identify which brakes I have? Are the '96+ rotors a larger diameter than the earlier models?

I'd prefer to not have to pull the brakes apart, identify them, put everything back together, order new pads, and then pull them apart again to replace them. I also don't really want to order both and then deal with returning the incorrect ones...

Thanks for the help.

I assume you are referring to the rear?
Your '92 came with drums originally, and the rear caliper didn't change once it was adopted.
If you have calipers/rotors in the rear, then there is no issue for year.

If you're talking about front, I'm not sure there is any difference in the pads and they are easy to replace without needing to pull anything apart other than removing the wheels.

I assume you are referring to the rear?
Your '92 came with drums originally, and the rear caliper didn't change once it was adopted.
If you have calipers/rotors in the rear, then there is no issue for year.

If you're talking about front, I'm not sure there is any difference in the pads and they are easy to replace without needing to pull anything apart other than removing the wheels.
I am referring to the front. Part numbers for '92 and '96 are different so they do not appear to be interchangeable. Also, I've always heard that 93+ got bigger rotors hence the reasoning for moving to 16" rims in lieu of the 15" rims used on the 91-92 models.

@2 E L O you are correct. 93+ are larger in all directions. I did this on my 91 and need to check the dimensions, but they are substantially larger. Want to say the later models are close to 1.125" thick. Let me double check and get back to you. I know I had to cut the backing plates off on mine, but if they swapped those too then that won't help.

BRB

1997 front rotors

New thickness ~1.25"
Discard at ~1.18"

Diameter ~12.25"

1992 front rotors

New thickness ~1"
Discard at ~.91"

Diameter ~11.25"

HTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back