New OBD2 Scanner: What is normal coolant temp? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DocuDude

Took me 10 years to find this space
Threads
Got my new obd scanner & Torque.

What is safe coolant temp range?
What is "turn off a/c" temp?
What is turn on heat/pull over Temp?

Also, the light stays on the Bluetooth even with car off.
Is it draining battery enough I should unplug it at night?

Other than Coolant Temp, what else do you like to monitor?

Under normal conditions mine runs steady @ 194*. A/C cuts off @ 226* (I believe). I never hit above 206* (sitting in a drive thru fro 10+ minutes, in gear, w/ambient temp @ 100* & zero wind). If I hit 220* I know something is wrong & will roll windows down, kick heater on high (front & rear) & find a safe place to park, but leave it running, in park/neutral, while holding idle @ ~1,200 RPM.

LFD has it pretty much right on. My cooling system is pretty much brand new and I see 190 F driving around, up to 201 sitting in hot traffic. The gauge will move at 230...and which point its probably too late. Though I though the A/C cut happened much lower at like 203. 220 is what I've been told is "careful watching" temps. 230 is "pull over, turn on the heater and get it down NOW" temps. any amount of time over 230 is likely to hurt your head gasket

Last edited:
Under normal conditions mine runs steady @ 194*. A/C cuts off @ 226* (I believe). I never hit above 206* (sitting in a drive thru fro 10+ minutes, in gear, w/ambient temp @ 100* & zero wind). If I hit 220* I know something is wrong & will roll windows down, kick heater on high (front & rear) & find a safe place to park, but leave it running, in park/neutral, while holding idle @ ~1,200 RPM.

^^^^^^ Excellent advice. Many folks will just pull over and shut the engine off...which of course allows it to 'heat soak' (get even hotter) for a period of time.

A short explanation WHY this is important:

By turning on your heaters (temp and fan on high) they help cool the system... since they act as miniature radiators. Elevating the engine RPM slightly (1200-1500 rpm) will move a good amount of air (from fan) across the engine and water (from water pump) through the system, but is not at a level where you begin to work your engine.

The ONLY time you would want to shut the engine down is if engine temperature continues to climb, despite your efforts to curtail it.

I'm running 194 degrees with new rad , new lines modded blue fan clutch. Never climbs except when cheap plastic elbow breaks lol

Yes. I don't have a snorkel. I don't I ever saw it below 100F while driving, although ambient was 30 deg lower.

Yes. I don't have a snorkel. I don't I ever saw it below 100F while driving, although ambient was 30 deg lower.

My general rule of thumb is that my IAT's will be 30+ on ambient steady cruising. Towed with the wifes Gx470 the other day over hills and in the heat and even though the engine got much hotter than I like (215...yikes) The AIT never got about 90. I was impressed. Much better flow I would guess (plus the entire airbox and intake tube isn't right above the exhaust.

Does your IAT get crazy high? Mine gets up to 170+ sitting in the heat.
Mine does that! Seems like once it gets that hot its heat soaked and takes a long time to cool down.

One thing people forget - a clean engine will run cooler. If you have years of oil/dirt/sludge on the engine a trip to the DIY car wash should be on the list. Its also a good time to clean the radiator fins with high pressure from the inside out to get rid of bugs and grime.

My 80 runs at 193 degrees in Baja, I have the blue fan clutch mod.

I unplug mine mostly on account of where it is and I don't want to damage the port getting in/out (mine sticks out a lot) and if you do leave them in they do get hot so they are drawing a decent amount of power. unfortunately, there aren't many things to monitor with the 80 but I like to have the volts and mpg. plus I recalibrate the obd speed measure to account for my tires and gearing. don't monitor wheel Hp...it will only make you sad.

Since my truck is not OBD11 (mines a 94) i have to check my temps with a Snap ON MT2500 test tool. I drive my truck all over the deserts of Arizona, so far mine runs in the range of 185 to 195. I do have to say that cooling system maintenance is KEY to keeping your temps under control. I took the time when i had my radiator out for service to clean out all the rocks and bugs stuck inside the fins, PITA job to do, but well worth the trouble. Next i replaced all the weather stripping that goes around the radiator and fan shroud that makes sure all the incoming air goes through your radiator, not around it. One other item i replace every two years when I'm doing a cooling system service is the thermostat, and i always use a factory Toyota part. Last item, i did the oil change in my fan clutch (easy job) then flushed and refilled the coolant system with distilled water and green coolant.

One thing people forget - a clean engine will run cooler. If you have years of oil/dirt/sludge on the engine a trip to the DIY car wash should be on the list. Its also a good time to clean the radiator fins with high pressure from the inside out to get rid of bugs and grime.

Whilst I agree about cleaning the engine, I do not agree about using high pressure to clean the radiator, the water pressure damages the fins leading to more obstruction to air flow than what you already had from the bugs. Pointing a hose from inside to out with a steady flow will soften the bugs and allow them to be washed out. There is another thing to think of, if the radiator is blocked with grass seeds then wetting causes them to swell up, they are then very difficult to clean out.

A better solution is to remove the radiator completely, this then allows proper cleaning (inside and out) and clearing the rubbish out between the rad and AC condenser.

Regards

Dave

Went on a camping trip to the Sierras last weekend and here's what I saw from my Scangauge. Ambient temps were in the mid to high 90's.

The cruiser was pretty heavily loaded, which, I think makes a difference in temps going up over the passes. Dual batteries Front and rear bumper (Slee and 4X4 labs) White knuckle sliders, Slee belly pan. On top was a RTT(Maggiolina Grand Tour) held on by three 86" Yakima bars and a Tandem Kayak. Out back, a Yakima bike rack and two bikes. Inside, my wife and myself, ARB Fridge fully loaded, tons of beer, and sleeping bags, clothes, etc. I didn't weigh it this time, but in the past this setup came in at around 7200 lbs. :hungover:

Normal cruising at 70 MPH the temp stayed pretty steadily at 194F. We did have to climb over a couple of passes at elevation and the temps increased pretty steadily to 210-212F. I saw 214 once for a couple of minutes, but as soon as we stopped climbing the temp would quickly drop back down to the upper 190's. Seemed pretty normal to me and the cruiser never missed a beat.

It's a '96 with what looks to be ah all original cooling system, however the P.O. was very good about flushing the coolant every couple of years and the cruiser came with a huge file of service records, so it's been well looked after all its life. I have all new cooling system components waiting to go in over the winter (hoses, T-stat, water pump, radiator, etc). Will see if that makes a difference on next year's trips into the Sierras.

I believe the safe/normal operating temp range is 180 - 210. At 210 I would start mellowing things out a bit. As others said, 220+ is getting dangerous.

Did some AZ cooling testing this past weekend. Ambient outside temp 108° AC running, Aux fan running, and idealing for 30mins plus in direct noon sun.
Cooling mods snorkel, Juiced Eaton fan clutch, and LCP aux fan kit

IMG_9569[1].JPG

Outside temp of my CampTeq in direct sun

IMG_9570[1].JPG

Inside cab temp

IMG_9571[1].JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom