I am about to buy a low mile 1996 1,500 miles away (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I am about to fly 1,500 miles away to pick up a 1996 Land Cruiser with 96,000 miles. I have spoken with the owner a few times. He seems to have taken care of it, and he says he thinks it will make the trip with no problems, however I just want to make sure I am prepared as possible to make it home.

I have been searching for months for an 80 series and I have been reading through this forum a lot. It seems that the cooling system is a weak point on these. The owner has owned it since 1999 with 33,000 miles and says that he has never changed the head gasket or has had any cooling problems. Shortly after he acquired it, he installed a supercharger and an unspecified OME lift. The supercharger gives me even more anxiety about overheating on the way home. I am taking I-80 home, where it seems the tallest pass is 8,640 ft in Wyoming.

The truck currently has snow tires on it, he says the other tires will be included.

1. I am going to call him again this week with my final questions before I fly out, what should I ask him?
2. What should I bring with me on the plane? (Needs to fit in carry-on)
3. I am not familiar with snow tires (I use AT's where I live and they work fine for our winters), should I get them swapped out before a bunch of highway driving?
4. I am not familiar with superchargers, how can I inspect that before purchasing?
5. Any other suggestions or tips for this fly to buy adventure?

Snow tires will work but aren't ideal for dry highway driving (soft tread compound will wear out quickly, handling is a bit sloppier). A 1500 mile trip isn't that crazy, get a AAA card, check all of the fluids and go for it.

2. Take basic tools. check a bag if you have to. I flew to chicago to get one back to KC once, and ended up purchasing tools in a walmart to get it take apart.

3. you live in nebraska and don't know about snow tires. Hmmmm..

4. no way to inspect without removal. you could install a boost gauge quickly, to make sure it is producting about 4 - 5 lbs of boost.

To bring with you on the plane:
Credit Card
Insurance Card
AAA Card (if you have one)
Driver's License
Tire Pressure Gauge
A couple 8" long zip ties
Extra underwear
Tyvek Coveralls
Nitrile gloves
Flashlight (or headlight)
Car Phone charger (Make sure the cigarette lighter plug works before you roll)
Download the 96 FSM (Factory Service Manual) to your phone BEFORE you leave!!!!!!!

When you get there:
Go to a local Sears/Ace Hardware/Home Depot/Lowes to buy a basic set of metric tools. Keep them in the package unless you need to use them. Return them to a like store near you when you get home. Also pick up a soft- faced dead-blow hammer, roughly 2 lb.
Check fluid levels on the following:
Engine Oil 5W30 or whatever the PO has in it
Engine Coolant (Should be red or green....NOT brown)
Front Differential Oil
Rear Differential Oil
Transmission Fluid
Transfer Case Oil
Front knuckle grease (This is what the zip ties are for)
Power Steering Fluid (Dexron III)

Other things to check:
Tire Pressures (Including the spare)
Make sure there is a jack, the lug wrench, and the jack crank tools to change a tire
All lights operation
Check age on battery
Grab all tie rods to make sure none are floppy
Check for windshield washer operation (and fill fluid if necessary)
Check condition of wiper blades front and rear
Check the condition of the alternator belts and AC belt. Adjust if necessary
Total quantity of cup holders
CHECK THE BOLTS/NUTS ON THE BOTTOM OF THE STEERING ARM ON THE RIGHT SIDE, BOTTOM OF THE KNUCKLE. THESE MUST BE TIGHT AT 72 LB-FT. ALSO CHECK THE LEFT, BUT THE RIGHT SIDE ARE A KNOWN ISSUE.

Things to stop and pick up before you hit the road:
Engine Oil at least 2 quart, I would do a 5 quart jug
(1) gallon 50/50 coolant of the same color the engine already has
(1) gallon distilled water
(2) quarts of transmission fluid made for Toyota's or whatever the PO has in there
Windex and Paper Towels to clean windows inside
Blinker fluid
Spare alternator belts (Pick up from a store name brand you have near your home....O'Reilly, NAPA, Etc. so you can return the aftermarket belts unused later)
Spare SC Belt
Beer
Water
Ice

Make sure you get a couple phone numbers of members along the route home. Go to the Clubhouse section above and let the local clubs know what you're doing.
Let someone at home know the route you are planning for home. Pot your route on 'Mud for those of us following it.
Post the dates of your expected travel so we know to watch for you (or to go rob your house, whichever comes first....)
Make sure you have 'Mud in your phone as a shortcut. If you need help, post a :RTH Needed, Stranded in XXXXVille, YY..........

All in all, it sounds like you've got a relatively solid truck with a SC and very low miles.

Others that are SC owners know specifics about those.... @NLXTACY ????

Good Luck!

Where in NE do you call home?

I would drive it right away along with the seller and skip the talking around the truck and have the conversation take place while testing it.
AC on, Freeway,city for as long as you can get away with. Better to find out then before you hand over the cash 15 min on the highway that you have issues. Good luck.

:cookie::popcorn::candycane::poop:

Have you considered asking a local shop to do a PPI? (Pre Purchase Inspection). Probably cost you $60-100 and give you a solid professional opinion on what items you should be concerned about. If there's nothing significant, I'd cross your heart and hit the highway. If he does find something that's worrisome, get an account on uship.com and pay to have it trucked to your door. Shipping it is always a cheaper option than fixing it along the roadside.

Where is it located?
If he has snow tires, look CAREFULLY for rust.
But it sounds nice.

You can always stop in Colorado at Slee or Robbie and have them R&R the headgasket.

But 1500 miles in a Land Cruiser is nothing. Just don't push it hard, watch the temp uphill (agree with obd2 reader) and enjoy.

I picked up my LX the exact same way. I flew in. picked up the truck and drove home. Though the truck I bought had every maintenance record for 18 years and had been serviced at SLEE. it also had a scan gauge installed. The one crazy thing was that the side view mirror broke and drove me nuts the whole way home to CA

Wow, thank you all for the thoughtful replies! This is an awesome forum.

Where in NE do you call home?
Thank you for the detailed response, lots of good stuff I will use here! I live in Omaha

I would buy a little bluetooth OBDII adapter and install the torque app on your phone. That way you can at least monitor real time coolant temperatures on your flight back.
Great idea, and I already have one too, I will add that to my bag

Have you considered asking a local shop to do a PPI?
I have considered that, but I couldn't find any in the area. Admittedly I didn't try very hard.

Where is it located?
If he has snow tires, look CAREFULLY for rust.
It's located in Lake Tahoe, he say's there isn't any rust. I asked about salt on the roads and he said they don't do that where he is to avoid salt draining into the lake. However it will see a ton of salt on the roads where I live, Omaha

Wow, thank you all for the thoughtful replies! This is an awesome forum.

Thank you for the detailed response, lots of good stuff I will use here! I live in Omaha

Great idea, and I already have one too, I will add that to my bag

I have considered that, but I couldn't find any in the area. Admittedly I didn't try very hard.

It's located in Lake Tahoe, he say's there isn't any rust. I asked about salt on the roads and he said they don't do that where he is to avoid salt draining into the lake. However it will see a ton of salt on the roads where I live, Omaha

Great!

I'm in the Kansas City area and we make occasional trips up into west central Iowa. Usually travel through Omaha. Yes, one of the high salt use areas.........

Good Luck! Maybe we'll catch up some day!

@BILT4ME what a response!!

Your aces in my book.

Northern California is generally not bad for rust. Sounds like you're getting a nice 80 and soon to be the nicest one in Iowa. Maybe you should get a local beater and not drive the nice 80 in the salt slush!

Have a great trip. I-80 across Nevada has an undeserved reputation for being boring. I personally like it and the range after range of mountains.

With only 96K miles, Id just drive it like u stole it...;)

Oh, and yes, Tahoe does not salt roads....Im up there all the time...enjoy your trip back!

Wait - you haven't closed the deal on a low miles super-charged 80 and you are posting here on MUD? :poof::poof::poof:

Damn you guys set him up! Congrats! Don't tell anybody where your picking it up. There would be a line of guys looking for it.
Make sure the spare tire cranks down to the ground.
Driving with snow tires is ok until you get the 5 tires you want IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom