Carolina Relic Run 2017 - June 9th-11th 2017 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey guys, at David's request I'll add some info on my truck. It's an '87 FJ60 that I bought a year and a half ago as an unfinished, rough project. Specs are 454/TH400/NP205, 14BFF rear converted to six lug, FJ62 front axle, SOA, Icon 2.5 shocks, SPC jounce shocks (bump stops), 4Plus bumpers, etc. I took it to SEMA last year for my former employer Airaid / K&N, so that made me hustle for a few months to make it as nice as possible. Here are a few pics before and after:

Speedhunters_Keith_Charvonia_Trailhunter_FJ60-49-1200x800.jpg

Speedhunters-Keith-Charvonia-Trailhunter-Desert-1N-1200x800.jpg

As I mentioned this was the first real shakedown since SEMA, so I'm looking forward to a few more refinements and running more difficult trails.

Lots more info here: Project Trailhunter - Archives Speedhunters

Keeping with the theme of the weekend I brought out my 35mm Canon to the RR. It took 4 days to get the photographs developed. I'm not a photographer but these pics are not too bad for a 40 something year old camera.

RR1.jpg
RR2.jpg
RR3.jpg
RR4.jpg
RR5.jpg

I commend David and his crew of dedicated volunteers for putting together a fabulous event! But as I told David, all the planning and organizing in the world won't make a successful event without equally supportive members to make everyone feel welcomed and included. The members of the ONSC and LCLC carried their weight and more at the 2017 Carolina Relic Run - you guys Rock! I thank you all for contributing to the next chapter in my Land Cruiser's "Baby Book". This will be the most exciting chapter yet! Living in the flatlands of Florida all her life, she has been yearning to tackle some mountain trails since she arrived in America in 1972. I'll have to admit that she took to it like a gator in a swamp! We really had a blast but it's not something we'd have enjoyed very much had we not known we had such a great group of knowledgeable and experienced trail riders and cruiserheads watching our backs.

Here is a link to the photos I shot during the event: Dropbox - Carolina Relic Run 2017

You should be able to view all the photos and even download any you wish to keep. Hopefully there are some of you and/or your Cruiser in the batch.
T
My one suggestion for improving the 2018 event: Add dust mask and goggles to the check off sheet for mandatory equipment!
Thanks guys,
Dean

DSC02794 copy 1.jpg
DSC02856 copy mv.jpg

Last edited:
Dust masks and goggles; you read my mind. I would bet next year it will be muddy and sloppy if we bring those items.

Keeping with the theme of the weekend I brought out my 35mm Canon to the RR. It took 4 days to get the photographs developed. I'm not a photographer but these pics are not too bad for a 40 something year old camera.

Thanks for the reminder. It prompted me to dig out the Nikon FM I used in the 70's. Camera works perfectly, motor drive is strong and I will use it for future events. Film purchase and developing might be a challenge.

You spelled camera wrong.

Now I have to google what that is. I imagine that's a deep rabbit hole.
Welcome to world of medium format. Next up: large format, which is a deeper rabbit hole.

DSC01714017.jpg
DSC01700002.jpg
DSC01704006.jpg
DSC01706008.jpg
DSC07558 (2).jpg

Those of you who were fortunate enough to be at the 2017 Carolina Relic Run and in particular the awards ceremony may remember that one of the nicest raffle prizes was donated by Iguana Tents and Equipment – a rooftop awning. It wasn’t very impressive packed away in its long-skinny cardboard box and certainly not as shiny and attractive as that silver gas can that followed it. Well, I thought you might like to see what was in the box.

This Iguana rooftop awning is awesome! It’s 7 feet long, about 5” high x 5” wide and weighs about 20 pounds when stored in its weather-tight, zippered case. Deployed it measures 7’ X 7’. It comes with all of the hardware (stainless steel) needed to mount the awning on your existing rack or crossbars. I mounted mine on my aluminum roof rack; a job that required drilling four holes and took about 15 minutes from start to finish.

Once this baby is mounted, deployment is a breeze. These guys obviously use their own stuff because it is well thought out, well designed and well made. Once you unzip the cover, you flip the rolled awning up and out of the way, swing out the two horizontal poles, unroll the awning and slide the poll pins into the aluminum bar attached to the outer end of the awning and extend them out until the awning is tight. The end bar contains two more legs which drop to the vertical position, extend and twist to lock in place. There are two guy lines attached to the end bar and equipped with quick-lock length adjustment fittings. These attach to the two stakes that are provided for anchoring the deployed awning. There are Velcro strips sewn onto either side of the awning which wrap around the horizontal poles to keep the material tight. That’s it. It took me about 10 minutes from start to finish and that was without assistance and without having ever done it before. With two people who know what they’re doing it probably wouldn’t take half that time.

The quality of the materials is outstanding and I have no doubt that this awning will last a long time. For my FJ40, it’s the perfect length. At 7 feet long, it’s exactly the length of the roof. It’s the perfect size for me because I’ll use it at events were I need to stand behind a 6 foot long table and be out of the sun and rain.

Take down and stowing this baby took about 4 minutes and everything folds back into its place with no fuss or forcing. Sweet. If you’ve ever set up and taken down one of those free-standing beach awnings you’ll really appreciate this roof top awning and the fact that you didn’t utter a single profanity at any point in the process; try that with your free standing awning.

Above are the obligatory photos that prove it really exists. Oh, and by the way, I'd steer clear of those Iguana winch covers - they look great but they've got some major design flaws. They tend to blow off the winch at about 60 miles per hour.

Relic Run was so much fun, I thought I would possibly add one to the stable for next year so I can be a driver and not an outcast. Thanks again to everyone at ONSC who feeds the addiction. Made an offer and should finalize on Monday.

IMG_6538.JPG

IMG_6539.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom