Let's talk front bumpers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I look at what is out there, and I am very limited ( diesel swap inter cooler is in the way), to just the ARB, I really don't like them they look like crap on a FJ80, so I am think of coming up with my own design, I have been searching for some one to bend me some sheet metal here in Oregon, but have yet to find a shop. Any one know of a place that can do some hydroforming for me

Hey thank you, I want to maybe make and sell these, I don't like sharing my designs/ideas with strangers
Then why post up on a public forum... lol

Hey thank you, I want to maybe make and sell these, I don't like sharing my designs/ideas with strangers

You are looking for work to get done and don't know where to have it done. Literally EVERYONE you talk to is going to be a stranger.

What gauge metal are you planning on using if you are looking into hydroforming? Aluminum?

I work exclusively with Prototype suppliers in the Detroit area for my job. Hydroforming is not cheap. Tooling alone will run in the 10s of thousands range, even prototype. The cheapest/easiest way is to have digital drawings of "unfolded" pieces which can easily be used for laser or water jet cutting and the 3D drawings to show how to bend the pieces in a brake press. The less work the fab shop has to do, the cheaper the work will be.
Typically, you will find fabrication shops in larger cities in their industrial areas. That should help find areas where you will find a fab shop. At minimum, you'll need some drawings to work from, or possibly a cardboard mock-up and a vehicle to work with.
Plenty of people have shared design ideas without them being stolen on this forum. The market for 80 Series bumpers is a lot smaller than you might think despite the number of folks on this forum. Also, most folks are more interested in buying from the designer with no need to design and fabricate heavy stuff themselves.

... Any one know of a place that can do some hydroforming for me

I would guess that anyone that does hydroforming will have confidentiality agreements to sign, not a fly by night deal. With that type of budget/project, having a lawyer review it is pocket change.

I work exclusively with Prototype suppliers in the Detroit area for my job. Hydroforming is not cheap. Tooling alone will run in the 10s of thousands range, even prototype. The cheapest/easiest way is to have digital drawings of "unfolded" pieces which can easily be used for laser or water jet cutting and the 3D drawings to show how to bend the pieces in a brake press. The less work the fab shop has to do, the cheaper the work will be.
Typically, you will find fabrication shops in larger cities in their industrial areas. That should help find areas where you will find a fab shop. At minimum, you'll need some drawings to work from, or possibly a cardboard mock-up and a vehicle to work with.
Plenty of people have shared design ideas without them being stolen on this forum. The market for 80 Series bumpers is a lot smaller than you might think despite the number of folks on this forum. Also, most folks are more interested in buying from the designer with no need to design and fabricate heavy stuff themselves.

I found a place semi-local to me that laser & water jet cut a front bumper I drew up on google sketchup. They converted it over to solidworks and the whole shebang cost me 225$. Now they've got the files sitting there if I want to do it again. It was 23 pieces and turned out great. 3 bends on each side is all they had to do on the brake. Having a hard time imagining what you'd need hydroformed though . . .

I am a design engineer and we only use hydroforming as a last resort type thing... And we design and build turbofan commercial engines.

Go to you local steel supplier and ask them. Larger shops will have a hydraulic press brake that can bend up anything you need. No tooling required, just give them a line on the sheet and how much to bend. Should be plenty of them in the greater Portland area.

Another option is to just cut flat pieces and weld them together to make whatever bends you need.

smittybilt here in Oregon will press brake form stuff for a price according to Coyote steel here in Eugene area.

Smittybilt industrial fans. I don't know how thick of metal they can form.

Pacific Metal Fab LLC in Eugene, when I worked for them in the early 2000's we made all of the Road Armor Bumpers and products. They can do laser or water jet, punch and pressbrake work as well as welding and machining.

You certainly will not need hydroforming to do a bumper. Thats slightly overkill. best bet if you are making a bumper for your self is just to do a cardboard mockup then cut out the pieces and weld and call it a day. Unless you like to spend a ton of money.

You are looking for work to get done and don't know where to have it done. Literally EVERYONE you talk to is going to be a stranger.

I know some places, just looking for more, and in person I do pretty well as a STRANGER

I think this photo is from Australia. Great looking bumper on an 80.

ADZGFADFGASDF.jpg

I have a Slee up front with a m8000 winch, pretty standard setup. I've been really happy with it. For winching it's super easy to access, and the angles are perfect for using a snatch block.

The only thing I wish it had was some butterfly points so that I could wrap the winch wire around them instead of re-coiling it on the drum to store it (if you're planning on using the wire again in short order it's a bit of a time waster to retract it on the drum then need to spool it out again).

spF0FkX.jpg

^ this guy!

I've seen it all on here now. Seems like the Jeep crowd has taken over land cruisers.

Well since I have never owned a jeep, and been here, 5 years before you, and you're a n00b canadian to boot:flipoff2: . I was just asking a question/feelers, since this is a big forum for this platform, I thought it would be good idea :worms:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom