Builds Project Killer B - 1988 BJ73 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bjowett

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Welcome to project Killer B. I just purchased this unit from Chris Spaulding. My cruiser is a 3B equipped LHD unit that was built in Japan for European market. Plans are to enjoy it mostly as-is for the summer season, and then get down to the business of doing what I do with these things... yes, there will be parts available, so feel free to re question and brainstorm here. The Killer B name comes from not only engine, which will be seeing MAJOR upgrades... but also plays off its build origins in Portugal just after the end of the infamous Killer B Rallys of the 80's.

IMG_1304.JPG

Last edited:
Welcome to project Killer B. I just purchased this unit from Chris Spaulding at JDM Land Cruisers... and now I eagerly await its arrival. Chris is great to work with and very thorough. My cruisr is a 3B equipped LHD unit that was built in Portugal. Plans are to enjoy it mostly as-is for the summer season, and then get down to the business of doing what I do with these things... yes, there will be parts available, so feel free to re question and brainstorm here. The Killer B name comes from not only engine, which will be seeing MAJOR upgrades... but also plays off its build origins in Portugal just after the end of the infamous Killer B Rallys of the 80's.

View attachment 1481534
Congrats on the add. Chris sold me a BJ73 from Spain - the Burrito - and it was a great transaction. Subscribed!

Thanks, Ward.

A Hino W04 Series engine may find its way under the hood. Toyota calls it a 1W (W04D 4.1L) engine... as far as I have been able to find, it may be a heavier duty version of a B engine. I have long wanted to compare it directly to the 3B. The W04 Series are not exactly common, but not difficult to find, either. Intercooled turbocharged versions (W04C-T 3.8L) produce in excess of 200hp in factory tune. Turning up the wick could be interesting.

Congrats on the purchase, will be interested in seeing the improvements you make on it.

What transmission(s) can you mate that Hino to?

I'll probably keep the H55F, but there is a chance of a 6 speed Taco RA/RC Transmission sneaking in. The 1W actually came with the H50 behind it, so the bellhousing parts exist... But they are a weird set up that have advantages and disadvantages... the advantage - the piece on the back of the 1W/W04C short block to which the bell housing bolts, itself unbolts from the block. So a plate can be machined up to bolt in just about any transmission that will fit this app.

Congrats on the purchase! I'm looking forward to this project. I would have liked to seen your 80 with the 6-spd :steer:.

Last edited:
Cool - I saw this one on line a little while ago - I've spoken with Chris - nice guy. Look forward to seeing what you are going to do with it!

Beautiful cruiser!

I know you are probably busy, but if you ever have a couple mins to chat about your old Tundra, I sent you a pm.

Cheers and good luck with the build.

So, a rebuilt Hino W04C-T pops up for sale less than 35 minutes away. I mean, seriously.... I want to drive this thing for the summer... why do the Cruiser gods do it to me?

IMG_1306.JPG

IMG_1307.JPG

You can totally see the family resemblance between the W04CT and it's little brother, the 13B-T.

I trust you will be polishing and port matching the head!. I've had grand success on the ones I've done. While the performance benefit in a forced induction head may be limited, I believe that polishing greatly diminishes heat buildup in the heads allowing them to sustain higher power output for longer, without overheating. My theory is that combustion heat goes out the tail pipe where it belongs, instead of getting absorbed into the head and then needing to be dissipated through the cooling system.

Does this engine have an MLS gasket like what is available fro the B engines?

Good to hear! Yes, porting is mandatory. I usually polish the combustion chambers on the gasoline engines I've built... this will be my first Diesel build up. Everything will be well documented, discussed, and critiqued (please).

I don't know what is available for head gaskets.

Good to hear! Yes, porting is mandatory. I usually polish the combustion chambers on the gasoline engines I've built... this will be my first Diesel build up. Everything will be well documented, discussed, and critiqued (please).

I don't know what is available for head gaskets.

More than likely an MLS gasket from Hino.

The block/head measure about 20" long, with timing cover about 23".

This shows how the transmission adapter bolts to the block. It also holds the rear main oil seal. How awesome is this!? Adapting transmissions will be easy... take your pick!

IMG_1309.JPG

The turbocharger on the Hino W04C T is an IHI RHC6, trim unknown. I do not have the bolt pattern measured yet.

Intercooler? Yes please. A liquid core has been chosen to keep things tidy under the hood. I may use a factory Toyota Celica GT-Four (All trac) ST205 unit. They are shaped to mount over or next to the valve cover... Back in the late 90's I built a 22R-TE with a similar unit from an Celica All trac ST165. I still need to look at coolant pumps and front heat exchangers to support the intercooler. Pictures, first one (courtesy of www.gtfours.co.uk) shows the early ST165 intercooler over a vastly larger ST205 unit. The second picture is my old 4Runner 22R-TE with the 165 core. More intercooler pictures Toyota Celica GT4 ST165 ST185 and ST205 Intercooler pictures

IMG_1322.JPG

IMG_1321.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom