1FZ engine building and blueprinting (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That is a lot of work to gain 5hp.... are you sure you don't just want a turbo??? lol
Yah but look at torque. more money than brains and its an experiment in perfection. Besides I offers awesome torque curve. I will most likely boost after. Short block will be perfect and bullet proof so ready for anything in future.
do you think 10:1 static can handle some boost on pump gas? Calcs say it can.

Yep it is a great CR for boost. My pistons are 10:1's

img_0788-jpg.1122788

Yah but look at torque. more money than brains and its an experiment in perfection. Besides I offers awesome torque curve. I will most likely boost after. Short block will be perfect and bullet proof so ready for anything in future.
do you think 10:1 static can handle some boost on pump gas? Calcs say it can.

Yep it is a great CR for boost. My pistons are 10:1's

img_0788-jpg.1122788
what boost are you shooting for and what are you expecting on pump gas?
those graphs were at 87 octane.
Have you worked our your actual compression, cc'd chambers and pistons etc? Have you chosen a cam and worked out dynamic?
you will probably finish ahead of me so I cant wait. Will you engine or chassis dyno?

I will run 93, E85 and likely E99. Hoping for 18psi, 25psi and 35psi(or whatever I can max the turbo out at) respectively.

I have not worked out my actual compression, it will be a touch lower than 10:1, because I am going to do some work in the combustion chamber. I have the cams, but will need new ones.... long story but they were snapped in shipping and I didn't file a claim in time.

I will probably not do an engine dyno just chassis.

I will run 93, E85 and likely E99. Hoping for 18psi, 25psi and 35psi(or whatever I can max the turbo out at) respectively.

I have not worked out my actual compression, it will be a touch lower than 10:1, because I am going to do some work in the combustion chamber. I have the cams, but will need new ones.... long story but they were snapped in shipping and I didn't file a claim in time.

Let me know if you want any simulations on my software. Cost a bundle but I don't mind sharing as I have a couple engines in mind after this.
Cheers

Whose cams did you buy, and, if you want simulation, what spec?

I know it's a pain, but give me your spec (assuming stock displacement, just need cam, header etc) and I'd be happy to simulate.
If you have turbo map, intake specs etc., it would be more accurate. Although it does kinda take the fun out of it.
:)

Have you cc,d chambers and valve reliefs yet? You tcan get very close with just a kitchen syringe or batter bowl.
Without knowing what gasket, chamber, you have you are currently at about 10.3. For every cc on chamber or HG lchanges by about 0.15 CR. So extreme accuracy not important for estimates.
For pot volumes I used a burrette first time but that was slow so I used a kitchen measure after that, I was probably only a few cc,s out on 400cc.

can you run the sims with some of the basic off the shelf cams and bump the CR up to match the off the shelf pistons?

specs for pistons are 8.5 10 and 11.5

cams that would be considered ok for stock ECU (i think) are

INT/EXH - Dur @ .050” Lift: 218°/222° RR: 1/1 Gross Lift: .401”/.401” LSA: 112°
INT/EXH - Dur @ .050” Lift: 219°/227° RR: 1/1 Gross Lift: .397”/.415” LSA: 112°
INT/EXH - Dur @ .050” Lift: 222°/230° RR: 1/1 Gross Lift: .401”/.425” LSA: 112°

Tha
can you run the sims with some of the basic off the shelf cams and bump the CR up to match the off the shelf pistons?

specs for pistons are 8.5 10 and 11.5

cams that would be considered ok for stock ECU (i think) are

INT/EXH - Dur @ .050” Lift: 218°/222° RR: 1/1 Gross Lift: .401”/.401” LSA: 112°
INT/EXH - Dur @ .050” Lift: 219°/227° RR: 1/1 Gross Lift: .397”/.415” LSA: 112°
INT/EXH - Dur @ .050” Lift: 222°/230° RR: 1/1 Gross Lift: .401”/.425” LSA: 112°

That's a lot of calcs. I can't do the cams without all the valve open and close events at.050.
I will send you the calcs of CR changes. Program sets fuel and spark for max power so readings will be high. I could adjust if I knew the stock spark curve and fueling.

In reply to a post on thread about stroker cranks:
Exactly as I plan. I won't be running aluminum rods, either billet or Ti. The reasons for Ti are rather wasteful, somewhat theoretical, and for future proofing:
1. I would just like to see if there really is any benefits, however minor such as engine response, to a superlight and strong reciprocating assembly. And I can afford it.
2. Theoretically if everything in the engine is as light as possible, as long as its strong enough, the engine should create less friction in critical areas. Last longer also.
3. This short block may well be the base for another engine, possibly shorter stroke, higher revs. I really don't know.

Definitely will be looking at the strongest, smallest, lightest wrist pins money can buy.

Haven't posted in a while.
Mostly discussing with suppliers. Decided I needed to design cam first so I can get custom pistons flycut correctly, and can't order crank until I have bob weights of pistons etc etc.
Have sent stock cam to Crower Cams who will design a stroker cam for this build, they will also measure stock specs against my measurements and I will post. I need a custom cam as this big of stroke will have very high piston speed before and after TDC and BDC which will affect a regular cam.
Crower will likely provide cams, 4.5" (114,3mm) crank ($4,000), and Ti rods. JE pistons has agreed with my calcs and says they can provide pistons to suit application, likely PCD will be about 1.3" (33.02mm).
I have sent block out to get line bored and decked, once I find out final deck I can order reciprocating parts. Have had some discussion with UAE guys, they are running 114 stroke but sleeve down and get standard 4.5 l. I will bore up and get 4.566L.
Also weighed crank at 82 lbs, and block at 170 lbs.

Last edited:
Also I bought an adjustable cam timing sprocket (thanks Scott), and I am designing a modification to stock valve cover so I can just remove front end to access it, will keep you posted.
I working on this I removed the plate that covers PCV valve, on inside of valve cover. It was tough to do and I ruined cover but have a fix planned. See pics below, this is where lots of potentially engine damaging carbon and gunk is building up. Most I have seen in this engine. I would suggest anyone planning a build find a way to clean this out. Perhaps I will look at abetter PCV system, especially as my engine will have bigger blowby just due to size. Not sure how yet but there are a few solutions, dry sump would be best but stupidly expensive, and complicated, (coming from me that means something.

IMG_3770.JPG
IMG_3771.JPG
IMG_3772.JPG

Afterwards I figured it would be best to drill out the rivets holding PCV cover, that way you could remove without bending. Then just tap and screw them back on. I'll bet I can't buy just this cover.
As I will be experimenting and cutting up my valve cover I am looking for another, anyone got a cheap one?
Thanks

I think some of the math is off for displacement. A 114mm stroke with a 101mm bore is a 5.48L engine.

Haven't posted in a while.
Mostly discussing with suppliers. Decided I needed to design cam first so I can get custom pistons flycut correctly, and can't order crank until I have bob weights of pistons etc etc.
Have sent stock cam to Crower Cams who will design a stroker cam for this build, they will also measure stock specs against my measurements and I will post. I need a custom cam as this big of stroke will have very high piston speed before and after TDC and BDC which will affect a regular cam.
Crower will likely provide cams, 4.5" (114,3mm) crank ($4,000), and Ti rods. JE pistons has agreed with my calcs and says they can provide pistons to suit application, likely PCD will be about 1.3" (33.02mm).
I have sent block out to get line bored and decked, once I find out final deck I can order reciprocating parts. Have had some discussion with UAE guys, they are running 114 stroke but sleeve down and get standard 4.5 l. I will bore up and get 4.566L.
Also weighed crank at 82 lbs, and block at 170 lbs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom