FSM vs. Owner's Manual - Spark Plug Gap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All - this weekend I'm going to be adjusting my valves in my continued attempt to pass smog and was checking the FSM I downloaded from online and there's a difference in gap recommendations between the FSM and the Owner's Manual that the truck came with.

I downloaded the FSM from another forum, it has a blue/white cover and has, "TOYOTA 3F-E ENGINE REPAIR MANUAL SUPPLEMENT AUG. 1988" and then down at the bottom Pub. No. RM134E. On page EM-9 the states the gap should be 0.8 mm or 0.031 in.

The owner's manual states 1.1 mm or 0.043 in.

So my question is, is the FSM specific for each year? The sticker under my hood states I have a 3F-E CAL engine in my 91; is the 3F-E in a 88 different from the 3F-E in a 91 and would they have different gap requirements?

To answer your question, yes FSM can be specific to each year due to the fact that Toyota can, and will make changes from year to year. Next, since you don't have a FSM for your year truck, follow the spec's in your owners manual, as long as that owners manual is for the same model and year as your truck.

Last edited:
My 1994 FSM states .031.

My 1994 FSM states .031.
Your 94 has a 1FZFE motor in it, if I'm not mistaken he's running a 3F-E motor in his 91, that's a completely different animal then the 1FZFE is.

Your 94 has a 1FZFE motor in it, if I'm not mistaken he's running a 3F-E motor in his 91, that's a completely different animal then the 1FZFE is.
My point in posting that info was that my fsm for a completely different engine concurred with his so .031 is probably correct. No telling what owners manual he has.

My point in posting that info was that my fsm for a completely different engine concurred with his so .031 is probably correct. No telling what owners manual he has.
That's the reason i told him to use his owners manual in my first post, here's my quote, "follow the spec's in your owners manual, as long as that owners manual is for the same model and year as your truck" end quote.

My 1994 FSM states .031.

Same. Although I get shade from ih8mud for gapping the sparkplugs to that since they're pre-set with something better if you buy the toyota versions these days. I keep gapping them to the fsm; doesn't seem to have any issues.

To the OP, spend a little time getting this right. Apart from the usual reasons to get the gaps right, the OE recommendations allow for gaps opening over time, if you start with too big a gap then initially no real problems, if the gap gets too big then this can cause issues such as lead failures and tracking around the cap/coil etc.

Regards

Dave

Doing the best I can, unfortunately when looking at the two options, I have to choose one and I went with the Owner's Manual for now. Yesterday I adjusted the valves, checked compression (new vehicle to me so wanted to see where I stood), and updated gap. Seems to be running smooth.

Isn't there a sticker in the engine compartment stating valve lash, timing, and plug gap

Doing the best I can, unfortunately when looking at the two options, I have to choose one and I went with the Owner's Manual for now. Yesterday I adjusted the valves, checked compression (new vehicle to me so wanted to see where I stood), and updated gap. Seems to be running smooth.
@LS1FJ40 is a 3fe guy from way back. Maybe he can shed some light on your situation.

@LS1FJ40 is a 3fe guy from way back. Maybe he can shed some light on your situation.

I don't know what the gap is supposed to be. I always buy the plugs pregapped. @jonheld probably knows off the top of his head.

Are you talking about SPARK PLUG GAP or VALVE LASH?

The title says Spark Plug Gap, but the first sentence states "I'm going to be adjusting my valves". Typically , adjusting the valves is NOT addressed in the Owner's Manual, only in the FSM.

Otherwise, follow what is stated in your year-appropriate manual, whether it is owner's or FSM.

Was going to be tearing into the engine anyway, needed to adjust valves and check compression and figured since I was going to elbow deep in things might as well update plugs if needed at the same time. Ended up gapping spark plugs based on owner's manual.

Hi All - this weekend I'm going to be adjusting my valves in my continued attempt to pass smog and was checking the FSM I downloaded from online and there's a difference in gap recommendations between the FSM and the Owner's Manual that the truck came with.

I downloaded the FSM from another forum, it has a blue/white cover and has, "TOYOTA 3F-E ENGINE REPAIR MANUAL SUPPLEMENT AUG. 1988" and then down at the bottom Pub. No. RM134E. On page EM-9 the states the gap should be 0.8 mm or 0.031 in.

The owner's manual states 1.1 mm or 0.043 in.

So my question is, is the FSM specific for each year? The sticker under my hood states I have a 3F-E CAL engine in my 91; is the 3F-E in a 88 different from the 3F-E in a 91 and would they have different gap requirements?
There was a difference in spark plug gap between the FJ62 3FE and the FJ80 3FE. There is a different ECU and different coil/igniter. The smaller gap is from an FJ62. The correct gap for the FJ80 version (assuming you have the rest of the FJ80 components) is 1.1mm.

Valve adjustment specs are printed on the sticker under the hood.
Valve clearance (Hot):
Intake 0.20 mm (0.008 in.)
Exhaust 0.35 mm (0.014 in.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom