FJ40 long range use? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

One of the cool ideas I saw from the JK Forum is a RotoPax fuel can installed in the rear side window location. The rear side glass is useless for visability with all the other gear in the back - so Rebel Off Road fabbed up a recessed cut-out that housed a fuel can. Pretty slick idea - not sure if the 40 glass is tall enough to accommodate the size of the RotoPax or not. Just ideas.

Tmarx great setup and super pics!!

Anyone have any pictures of their 40 during longer trips?

It's a bit like playing Tetris, but I can fit everything in for a two-week outback trip.

20170314_193640_zps5jeghyqv.jpg

20170316_170726_zpsngtuyghk.jpg

Of course, I have a platform in the back between the two wheel arches. The underside of this platform is divided into two compartments. One side houses recovery gear, tool box, spares box and a 10l engine oil jerry can. The other side houses 2 x folding camp tables, 2 x folding camp chairs, 120w folding solar panels, campfire shovel, treebeater, bow saw and a folding hotplate for the campfire.

In the pics I am using army hotboxes (M1944 Mermite food containers) as coolers, but I usually take a Waeco CF40 fridge Freezer and a battery box.

man, I would've been all over long distance travel in the 40 then before the kids came, IF I had a 40 then! lol.

totally doable and agreed on all the minimalist packing strategies.

and yes, look at some of the couples that travel two up on enduro bikes (and just hard cases, so you can pack bare necessities)

just sharing my sleep arangements, it's a little ghetto but you get the idea..and it works well without a hard top.

In all my years I have never seen anything like this , this is really clever man. I dig it.

If you are traveling solo I wouldn't suggest a trailer. There is plenty of room in a 40 to bring the appropriate gear for a two week trip. Camping inside the rig simply isn't an option for two... adding a RTT is a decent option but it is a lot of weight up high and don't enjoy the dynamic of a 40 with the RTT on top... but I have done it.

If you have two people, I would suggest a trailer. You can keep most of the creature comforts along with you, keep your meals, drinks, and gear organized and not have to hassle with specifically packing everything up... or more importantly for me, unpacking too much stuff to get to the one thing I need. FWIW, I do keep the Fridge, spares, and a few tools in the 40.

Here is how I travel in style, but with the 2F and the Colorado thin air at altitude, I wish I had a V8 some days.

TrailerTruckcombo2.jpg

If you are traveling solo I wouldn't suggest a trailer. There is plenty of room in a 40 to bring the appropriate gear for a two week trip. Camping inside the rig simply isn't an option for two... adding a RTT is a decent option but it is a lot of weight up high and don't enjoy the dynamic of a 40 with the RTT on top... but I have done it.

If you have two people, I would suggest a trailer. You can keep most of the creature comforts along with you, keep your meals, drinks, and gear organized and not have to hassle with specifically packing everything up... or more importantly for me, unpacking too much stuff to get to the one thing I need. FWIW, I do keep the Fridge, spares, and a few tools in the 40.

Here is how I travel in style, but with the 2F and the Colorado thin air at altitude, I wish I had a V8 some days.

Of course, still the coolest 40 trailer on the planet.. Beauty!

The longest I've been out, on a single trip in 44, is two weeks... I had plans for longer trips, but back issues Prevented them. Post surgery, the pain is gone and I'm planning a longer trip... I hope to do it before summer. But, more likely in the fall... It's gonna get way to hot here in NV before long.

I was traveling with two 80+ lb Golden Retrievers, but lost Gunner... So, it's only Chester and I now... I can't speak to sleeping arrangements, for a couple.

But, for Chester and I... I remove the passenger seat back and have a pair of plywood pieces that are double-hinged, to allow them to fold back when not in use... And unfold to lay flat, over the passenger seat, when I'm planning a trip. They are hinged to a plywood deck that sits over the rear wheel wells.

I make my single bed before we leave and Chester rides on my bed, beside me. At night, I remove the water cubes and ice chest (25 qt) from the platform, behind the driver's seat and make Chester's bed behind the driver's seat.

With the hardtop in place, it's almost impossible to get decent pictures inside, with all the crap I carry.

I use four of these (two ~4" deep and two ~7" deep) to carry spares, parts, cam straps, Halo Bolt jump box, gasket material and everything else that I carry... All four fit under the platform, between the rear wheel wells... Along with recovery gear, a couple of real ammo cans, with an assortment of tools... Also has room remaining underneath, to carry long screwdrivers, etc. A folding table slides in, under the platform, on top of the shallow boxes.

Here's the back of 44 empty.
image.jpeg

Here's what goes under the platform:
image.jpeg

I also have a plywood shelf in top of the rear rolllbars... All of this stuff fits on the shelf... Except one of the shallow boxes. All of this is packed tightly on the 'shelf' and the shelf is covered in cargo netting that prevents stuff from falling (front and back) and also covers the bottom of the shelf.. I have a folded tarp and a folded triangle awning stored to the bottom of the shelf, in the cargo netting.
image.jpeg

Here it is loaded
image.jpeg

I have a wooden 'drawer', under the driver's seat... It contains my old compressor (as backup) and several ropes, cords, straps, etc. and my hydraulic jack and handle. Next to the drawer, under the seat, is my Arb flat fix kit and a 12v impact gun and impact sockets, etc.

Directly behind the passenger seat/gas tank is a couple of reels of soft fuel line (two sizes).

In the footwell, in front of the passenger seat is several gallons of drinking water and as many 16oz bottles as will fit.

I have a 5 lb fire extinguisher, under the dash, in place of my front heater and a 2.5 lb strapped the the vertical rollbar, behind the driver's seat. My first large. First aid kit is between the console and the floor shift cane.

I have a locking overhead console cabinet, of wood, with a custom Molle panel on,the bottom of it... Several small pouches attached to the Molle panel (small portable first aid kit, toiletries, sun glasses... Mine and Chester's, etc.)... Small tools carried in the Molle panel (folding knife, fingernail file, telescoping mirror, etc.), another pouch, above the steering wheel is empty... It carries my .40 when driving. I know it looks really busy in the picture, but not nearly as busy in real life... For a 5'6" hobbit.
image.jpeg

The front of the cargo netting, on the rollbar, has my backpack and pillow cam strapped to it, above my bed.

I carry my 2-burner propane camp stove and 1lb propane bottles in my Trasheroo... Until the trash gets too bulky.

I have a portable winch mount, in a 2" hitch receiver, in the front... I carry an old ice chest, with spare fluids (engine oil, gear oil, brake fluid, coolant, bearing grease, hand cleaner, etc.),

I have a roof rack, that, with my new back, I can again use ... I also have a 2'x4' hitch carrier, that I cN mount to the back hitch, if I need to carry something unusual, like my two large rolling inflatable pontoon and fly fishing bags.

That's about it... More than you wanted to know, I'm sure!!

Oh, I forgot... My new compressor is under the hood, in place of the heater blower... I have my old set of tires/wheels and plan to carry one or two extra spares, on my roof rack, as needed, for long trips. My center console is an old ammo can... I carry a portable dvd player and DVDs and my M&P CO2 BB pistol and BBs in there... For amusement in camp.

Now, I'm done.

Last edited:
The longest I've been out, on a single trip in 44, is two weeks... I had plans for longer trips, but back issues Prevented them. Post surgery, the pain is gone and I'm planning a longer trip... I hope to do it before summer. But, more likely in the fall... It's gonna get way to hot here in NV before long.

I was traveling with two 80+ lb Golden Retrievers, but lost Gunner... So, it's only Chester and I now... I can't speak to sleeping arrangements, for a couple.

But, for Chester and I... I remove the passenger seat back and have a pair of plywood pieces that are double-hinged, to allow them to fold back when not in use... And unfold to lay flat, over the passenger seat, when I'm planning a trip. They are hinged to a plywood deck that sits over the rear wheel wells.

I make my single bed before we leave and Chester rides on my bed, beside me. At night, I remove the water cubes and ice chest (25 qt) from the platform, behind the driver's seat and make Chester's bed behind the driver's seat.

With the hardtop in place, it's almost impossible to get decent pictures inside, with all the crap I carry.

I use four of these (two ~4" deep and two ~7" deep) to carry spares, parts, cam straps, Halo Bolt jump box, gasket material and everything else that I carry... All four fit under the platform, between the rear wheel wells... Along with recovery gear, a couple of real ammo cans, with an assortment of tools... Also has room remaining underneath, to carry long screwdrivers, etc. A folding table slides in, under the platform, on top of the shallow boxes.

Here's the back of 44 empty.
View attachment 1449071

Here's what goes under the platform:
View attachment 1449069

I also have a plywood shelf in top of the rear rolllbars... All of this stuff fits on the shelf... Except one of the shallow boxes. All of this is packed tightly on the 'shelf' and the shelf is covered in cargo netting that prevents stuff from falling (front and back) and also covers the bottom of the shelf.. I have a folded tarp and a folded triangle awning stored to the bottom of the shelf, in the cargo netting.
View attachment 1449070

Here it is loaded
View attachment 1449079

I have a wooden 'drawer', under the driver's seat... It contains my old compressor (as backup) and several ropes, cords, straps, etc. and my hydraulic jack and handle. Next to the drawer, under the seat, is my Arb flat fix kit and a 12v impact gun and impact sockets, etc.

Directly behind the passenger seat/gas tank is a couple of reels of soft fuel line (two sizes).

In the footwell, in front of the passenger seat is several gallons of drinking water and as many 16oz bottles as will fit.

I have a 5 lb fire extinguisher, under the dash, in place of my front heater and a 2.5 lb strapped the the vertical rollbar, behind the driver's seat. My first large. First aid kit is between the console and the floor shift cane.

I have a locking overhead console cabinet, of wood, with a custom Molle panel on,the bottom of it... Several small pouches attached to the Molle panel (small portable first aid kit, toiletries, sun glasses... Mine and Chester's, etc.)... Small tools carried in the Molle panel (folding knife, fingernail file, telescoping mirror, etc.), another pouch, above the steering wheel is empty... It carries my .40 when driving. I know it looks really busy in the picture, but not nearly as busy in real life... For a 5'6" hobbit.
View attachment 1449081

The front of the cargo netting, on the rollbar, has my backpack and pillow cam strapped to it, above my bed.

I carry my 2-burner propane camp stove and 1lb propane bottles in my Trasheroo... Until the trash gets too bulky.

I have a portable winch mount, in a 2" hitch receiver, in the front... I carry an old ice chest, with spare fluids (engine oil, gear oil, brake fluid, coolant, bearing grease, hand cleaner, etc.),

I have a roof rack, that, with my new back, I can again use ... I also have a 2'x4' hitch carrier, that I cN mount to the back hitch, if I need to carry something unusual, like my two large rolling inflatable pontoon and fly fishing bags.

That's about it... More than you wanted to know, I'm sure!!

Oh, I forgot... My new compressor is under the hood, in place of the heater blower... I have my old set of tires/wheels and plan to carry one or two extra spares, on my roof rack, as needed, for long trips. My center console is an old ammo can... I carry a portable did player and DVDs and my M&P CO2 BB pistol and BBs in there... For amusement in camp.

Now, I'm done.

Well done good sir!

I officially dub thee IH8MUD 40 Series Tetris World Champion!

Whoa, way in need of an update.

Cruiser is awesome on long trips. Slow, loud, hot/cold.. but awesome. We have done a few longer trips with it since I started this. We have really enjoyed it... but, yeah, trailer made life a lot easier.
13268293_10207199354927110_5635324900778297735_o.jpg
FB_IMG_1493246270886.jpg
IMG_20160608_211038.jpg

Nice looking trailer. Good job for making the 40 work. I too always dream of taking the 40 on long trips. I will someday. Right now it's hard to do with 2 kids though. And as fun as a 40 is kids are even more fun to bring along. So for now this our setup.
KIMG0120.jpg

I'm in the planning stages of building a slide out kitchen/drawers that will fit in either the the 100 for current family outings or the 40 for when we leave the kids behind or for when I take just one of the kids. My 3 year old boy loves "Daddy'ths Land Cruisther". He's happy to go anywhere or do anything if it means a ride in the 40. I'm thinking about getting a oztent rv5. Switching a rtt between vehicles is just going to be too much of a pain.

Great thread here

I'm in the planning stages of building a slide out kitchen/drawers that will fit in either the the 100 for current family outings or the 40 for when we leave the kids behind or for when I take just one of the kids. My 3 year old boy loves "Daddy'ths Land Cruisther". He's happy to go anywhere or do anything if it means a ride in the 40. I'm thinking about getting a oztent rv5. Switching a rtt between vehicles is just going to be too much of a pain.
Kids just know don't they?? Very cool.

Slide out drawer, whatever to stop things from bouncing around on rough going areas.

Anyone with a '77 or newer have a fix for sloppy small window in back of top side panels pivot point? I checked and both the lever/tightener and 2 pivot points for that small window are NLA from Yota

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom