Transfer case re-gearing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So can we have .9 highway and 3.1 low?

Absolutely!

We've set up 5 Tcases that way already using the Terrain Tamer OD gear set along with the 3.15:1 low range.
@CycloSteve has this setup in his HDFT80, installed here at Valley Hybrids.

And we have both gear sets in stock.

:)

Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers

How much does a hobbing machine cost?

@NLXTACY can float that I'm sure!

I've actually had a few thousand gears hobbed over the years right here in Burbank. Oh wait, those were lens gears for 3-axis and 6-axis lens control in the film industry. Never mind, wrong forum :hmm:

My world before Wits' End:
red-lens-control-motor-1.jpg

Last edited:
hmm... this is a great idea. i would much rather do the transfer case than tear both axles down and do gears. thank god i live at sea level but when i go to visit my dad my truck is so slow i hate myself.

I hope you guys are aware that both high range OD and UD gear sets are already available and have been.
There's no need for anybody to spend a minute/penny on R&D for a product that's already available from a very reputable manufacturer/vendor and that is Terrain Tamer.

Myself and another one of the resellers ( @NLXTACY aka Joey aka Witts' End )
who offer these parts along with the rest of the Terrain Tamer product line are on this thread.

;)

I hope you guys are aware that both high range OD and UD gear sets are already available and have been.
There's no need for anybody to spend a minute/penny on R&D for a product that's already available from a very reputable manufacturer/vendor and that is Terrain Tamer.

;)

And the gears are manufactured by an OE Toyota vendor.

So can you put a high range reduction of 10% and a low range 3:1 kit in the same full time 4WD T-case?
A 10% reduction for the high range to compensate for 35 inch tires and a 3:1 low range for better crawl!

So can you put a high range reduction of 10% and a low range 3:1 kit in the same full time 4WD T-case?
A 10% reduction for the high range to compensate for 35 inch tires and a 3:1 low range for better crawl!
Yes.

I think I have to ask my question again for those who joined the conversation a little later.
I got the point earlier, but this has turned again toward the overdrive requirement.

Why overdrive?
If anything I want 1.15 in Hi and 3.15 in Lo

I think I have to ask my question again for those who joined the conversation a little later.
I got the point earlier, but this has turned again toward the overdrive requirement.

Why overdrive?
If anything I want 1.15 in Hi and 3.15 in Lo
We can provide TC gear sets that offer any combination of the following:
  • 1 to .9 in Hi (10% overdrive)
  • 1 to 1.1 in Hi (10% underdrive)
  • 1 to 2.65 in Lo
  • 1 to 3.1 in Lo

A 1.1:1 and 3.1:1 combo would be really nice.
Hopefully it makes financials sense too over regearing both diffs.

The 1.1 x-case gear puts it back to OEM spec with 35's

Are the diffs geared at 4.10 or 4.11? It really won't make that big of a difference, but I keep seeing both ratios thrown around.

How is high range reduction different from high range OD/UD?

Quote from another vendor "We don't have any high-range offerings in-stock, they are still in development. They will offer a high range reduction whereas the Terrain Taimer (and our Joint Fuji gears) are a high range overdrive option."

Absolutely.

As mentioned in my post above, we have built and installed 5 of the HF2A cases with the Terrain Tamer OD high range gears and the 3.15:1 low range gear sets.

How is high range reduction different from high range OD/UD?

Quote from another vendor "We don't have any high-range offerings in-stock, they are still in development. They will offer a high range reduction whereas the Terrain Taimer (and our Joint Fuji gears) are a high range overdrive option."

I'm not sure I understand your question. But what I can tell you is that Terrain Tamer offers both OD and UD gear sets for the high range of the HF2A transfer case.
And we have installed these gear sets in multiple transfer cases here at the shop as well as having sold a number of them to DIY end-users and fellow cruiser shops.

I hope that answers your question. Feel free to get back to me if you need more info or have other questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom