High Rock Canyon Run in June (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Trail: High Rock Canyon

Trail leader:
Mark

This will be a trail ride North of Gerlach. We plan on going through historic High Rock canyon along the Applegate Trail. Some are camping Friday night at the Hot Springs southwest of Soldier Meadows. We will be starting at the Soldier Meadows side and going thru the canyon and out Grass Valley road(34).

Date: Saturday, 6/24/2017 for those not camping on the night of 23rd.

Leave Time
:
9:30 am at the crossroad between Soldier meadows and Hot Springs. GPS TBA-Campers will meet there as well. Turn your Ham Radios on.

Meeting Location: For campers Friday night. Leave time 5:30 pm Bruno’s restaurant in Gerlach SR447, approx. 2 hrs North of Reno

Trail Difficulty: 1 maybe 2 because of some water crossings and mud.

Additional Equipment needed: Extra food(lunch), gas, and water. This is an overnight trip for some so be prepared with your camping gear. Swimsuit for the hot springs.

Duration of Run: All day Saturday.

Last edited:
I hope we can get up there that soon. I bet it will still be snowed in still. They are clearing hwy 4 as we speak. Might need to get on to sourgrass.

Ya I saw the white 80 and then the lift and snorkel and knew it was you. How was he snow? You think it will be ready to run in mid June? I hear the Tahoe side is still socked in.

Wouldnt mind making this run but have other plans this year heading to Boise to be with the kids

Dan what would you drive? I thought you sold all your rigs?

Time to start getting this on your schedules. Hopefully we can get a great trail run in the books with this trip. Some great history to this trail, some great geology and scenery! Weather and trail conditions should be perfect. Looking forward to a fire and some soaking in the Hot Springs.

No didn't sell everything i still have my 85 fj 60 and that's what i would use for the trip if i can make it

Yes lets continue on with the 24th. I guess there was some confusion about the date at the meeting. Yes it is still the 24th.

Be really careful on Soldier Meadows Rd. take it slow. There are deep potholes 2'+, and cross cuts that are not so visible.

The other day I was talking to someone who went a ways up the road on the Memorial Day holiday. They narrowly missed a couple of the big ones without realizing they were there on the way out.

It'd be great to go on this, I had fun when we did this a few years ago. Haven't been on a run in a long time. We'll see...

Last edited:
That was a good trip. Even the cow trail Dan took us up was fun. And I have never seen tame Antelope before. I don't think anyone had been up that trail and on that plateau in 20 years. They just looked at us trying to figure us out. Hope you can make it. We are going in the south end and out the north end. Just the opposite we did 3 years ago.

Thanks for the warning on the road. I guess all roads took a hit with all the run off this year. Hopefully they might fix it before the 23rd.

That was a good trip. Even the cow trail Dan took us up was fun.
I rather enjoyed the route we took.

That was my first time through, I'd been to the bottom before and to Steven's Camp from the north.

As far as the road just take it slow. Don't drive like the UPS guy. :)

I hit the Black Rock most every Memorial Day (missed it this year).

A few years back there were some wicked cross cuts of Soldier Meadow road, they were about 3' deep but only about 10" wide. The were not noticeable until you were almost on top of them. Easy to cross slowly diagonally if you see it, a rude awakening if you hit it square at speed. The first one I encountered I was able to brake enough to not do damage but it still wasn't pretty.

One trail we take to some petroglyphs on the Granites was badly washed out this year and that was at the beginning of it, I ponder what happened at the creek crossing?

Ya I saw the white 80 and then the lift and snorkel and knew it was you. How was he snow? You think it will be ready to run in mid June? I hear the Tahoe side is still socked in.

There was very little snow on the trail. I don't think its going to be a problem at all come July. I will be going in via Wentworth on the 24th, I will report back after that.

I think the Con will be open in July for sure. Someone finally made it to the springs from The staging area. Lots of water and apparently a couple of motors blew when submerged. Justin finally a place you could use your snorkel:D.

As for our run-all is a go. The weather will be nice as it is going to be 98 on Friday in Gerlach and 95 on Saturday:eek::dead:. High rock canyon is almost 6000ft and Gerlach is 3700. So it should be cooler in the canyon with all the water and higher elevation. See you Friday in Gerlach at Brunos 5:30. Or on soldier meadows road and High rock canyon road at 9:30. Post here if your coming Sat. morning and if your late we can wait for you. Cells work out there at times 291-2273. Bring your hams as well. The meeting place is about 3 to 4 miles after mud meadows lake which is on the left of soldier meadows road as your going North. Lots of roads out there so try to stay on the main. Soldier meadows ranch is east of the junction we are meeting at don't go that way. Bring LOTS of water and your :beer: and swim trunks.

Now 98 saturday. I don't know our route, is the climb early in the day? I ran pretty hot climbing above Gabbs last weekend, to the point that I am doubting my fan clutch setting.

It's not really a climb but yes we will be doing most of the driving in the morning and then out the top of the canyon at altitude by early afternoon. then down 34 to Gelach.

You guys are gonna be there right? I love this run but not alone.:cool:

That's my plan. Running short on time, so I might not have my rack back on with its gas cans, but our mileage out of Gerlach is pretty low, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom