Where was your Warn winch made? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

they have or had ..

Tabor_12k_.jpg

Yes: Limited lifetime mechanical and seven-year electrical (longest standard electrical warranty in the business).

Andy

Right here is a important point that is pertinent to the value that Warn builds into its product line. Manufacturing costs likely have a lot to do with the decision to make the VR-10000 abroad. But I think Warn made sure it was built to the same standard you'd expect from the rest of their line -- the opposite of cheapening its product -- by warranting it the same as the rest. Doing this means either that Warn anticipates spending a lot of money replacing parts, which is expensive and unlikely -- or simply designing and building a good winch that offers considerable value to the consumer.

I say this in all honesty as someone who doesn't even own a Warn right now, but I have. I've owned an 8274 (FJ55) and a 5000 lb Warn something (Trooper II), both bought new. Finances simply wouldn't let me buy better than I did when it was time for the 80 to get a winch and they haven't gotten much better since. Leaving a big hole in the middle of the market might not take the risk of "cheapening" the line, but would hurt the long term prospects of getting good Warns in the hands of enough folks so they understand the difference. You can't always get what you want, but you get what you need, as some other famous 70+ yo legends still note. Those who can afford it are welcome to enjoy good fortune, but give those less fortunate respect, too.

Well said.

XD9000i, made in Clackamas according to the box and the guy I got it from (works @Warn)
After having experienced both great and extremely s***ty customer care from Warn, and having experienced phenomenal customer service from a Chinese winch manufacturer (Runva), I believe a person should just purchase what fits their budget and has the best consumer reviews.

@shocktower I think post #25 from the horses mouth just proved mine and others points on parts sourcing etc... made in USA doesn't mean everything it that product is made here too. And on that note, I will still support WARN because they still support Oregonian's and Americans. Also, they're a good product.

My guess is the VR series of winches was made specifically to compete with cheaper winches while still maintaining the WARN name. There's a reason the VR's are so cheap.

This line from WARN's website; "The VR is the gateway to the WARN brand and delivers WARN quality and reliability at an attractive price."

That means the VR series is their cheapest entry level winch for someone who may use it once. Their comparison chart even gives it three stars out of five for gear train durability. Cast Iron case instead of Cast AL so heat dissipation will be a concern as well.

I went with a used M12,000 and ended up winching 7 trucks in an hour over memorial day through a bank of snow.

The WARN guy in this forum, Andy, will be happy to know I harass all my club members to get WARN winches over the cheaper alternatives on the market.

Since I work with a few different companies that work with global partners, including China, I'll chime in. People tend to forget that the outsourced contracts need to meet agreed upon specs of the parent company. That means materials, procedures and testing need to meet the standards the parent company requires. Sure there are products that cut corners in materials and manufacturing and QC to keep cost low with outsourced products, but there are also companies that select and test the materials used as well as the manufacturing processes to ensure that the quality matches what they would produce in their own facilities. The cheaper labor costs of overseas work is how companies are able to still produce quality products at lower prices. Not to mention the costs associated with full time benefits like Healthcare, pensions, 401K, unions etc for USA employees that aren't necessarily factors in overseas development costs. Sadly, it's just smart business in many ways.

Not to get political about it but I work in an industry where my main job could be outsourced so I get the point of "buy American" because it keeps Americans employed and strengthens our economy. It's a reality and real threat in my own life. It's also what drives me to do my job well enough that my company can't afford to outsource what I do. But from a business perspective it makes sense in financial terms, although one could argue that for some Americans (not all) the principle and "image" matters to buy American and in the end could have an effect on the bottom line of profitability. How significant that affect is is probably different for every company.

Case in point. I work with Tepui Tents which are manufactured in China. There are dozens of roof top tent brands coming out of China these days but it's naïve and foolish to think they are all the same. I know the requirements that Tepui has for materials and workmanship and can tell you that I don't think there is another brand coming out of China that has that high of standards. In fact, most of the brands are significantly inferior and its noticeable once they can be examined side by side.

So I have no problem using a product that has been manufactured in China (or elsewhere for that matter) that maintains a high level of quality and materials. I personally use a competing brand of winch that is manufactured overseas and have zero concerns about quality or materials.
Bottom line is, smart companies do it the right way. Unfortunately there are some that cut corners. Just do your homework.

My guess is the VR series of winches was made specifically to compete with cheaper winches while still maintaining the WARN name. There's a reason the VR's are so cheap.

This line from WARN's website; "The VR is the gateway to the WARN brand and delivers WARN quality and reliability at an attractive price."

That means the VR series is their cheapest entry level winch for someone who may use it once. Their comparison chart even gives it three stars out of five for gear train durability. Cast Iron case instead of Cast AL so heat dissipation will be a concern as well.

I went with a used M12,000 and ended up winching 7 trucks in an hour over memorial day through a bank of snow.

The WARN guy in this forum, Andy, will be happy to know I harass all my club members to get WARN winches over the cheaper alternatives on the market.

You're spot on. And I'm glad to hear you're running an M12--great winch. I also appreciate your harassment of your club members. :D

Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom