1981 Pick-up Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think that should work. If your worried about it, add some gussets to the top of the tube before you put the floor back on. Id say there are several cages that are tied in the same way.

@TeddyBoy Didnt want to muck up the Moab thread with chit chat but I'm working with a fair bit of head scratching thrown in. It's been a trial of errors so far including running out of mig gas Sunday and then wire tonight. I've been burning up the visa with a few new additions that keep popping up due to too many things wanting to occupy the same spot.

Regardless, there will at least be a drivers seat in for AOP. We'll see about these but it looks like I might need to bring a hammer.

IMG_1714.JPG

IMG_1713.JPG

@TeddyBoy Didnt want to muck up the Moab thread with chit chat but I'm working with a fair bit of head scratching thrown in. It's been a trial of errors so far including running out of mig gas Sunday and then wire tonight. I've been burning up the visa with a few new additions that keep popping up due to too many things wanting to occupy the same spot.

Regardless, there will at least be a drivers seat in for AOP. We'll see about these but it looks like I might need to bring a hammer.

View attachment 1387929

View attachment 1387928

I'll have a cutoff wheel you can use but you may still need the hammer for the wheel wells. It does look good, anxious to see how it does.

Oh man, big time!

Let's swap my rusty fenders for your clean ones before you take the sawsall to 'em.
Mine need trimmed right where you will be cutting, see pic one page back.

@Pacer My OEM fenders were toast as well. I replaced them with these: Fender - Auto Parts Warehouse Edit: I may have gotten them from here: 1981 Toyota Pick Up Replacement Fenders & Components – CARiD.com as the prices in original link were much higher than I remember paying.

Good fit with provisions for all of the emblems, and they come primed ready for paint.

And you wonder why I'd want to watch your thread... Killer links man, thanks!

I've been emailing with Robin from Toyota Rust Repair Body Panels
He is willing to make the floors if I am willing to send them to him.

Well I thought it was time to put a seat in for the ladies:

IMG_1907.JPG

But ended up at the ER instead. I knew it was only a matter of time before I got the typical build thread angle grinder laceration.

IMG_1904.JPG

Well I thought it was time to put a seat in for the ladies:

View attachment 1476986

But ended up at the ER instead. I knew it was only a matter of time before I got the typical build thread angle grinder laceration.

View attachment 1476990

got damn!!!! that's nasty lookin, and in the calf too. Mine wasn't anything near that but it put the fear of Jesus in me. them cut off wheels are dangerous

got damn!!!! that's nasty lookin, and in the calf too. Mine wasn't anything near that but it put the fear of Jesus in me. them cut off wheels are dangerous

It was a stupid move. Just a quick couple of cuts, wearing shorts, and bang. Lesson learned for sure.

Been there and done that.
:beer: to proper healing.

Dang man. I got a nice scar from trying to my thumb off a few years ago but I clearly wasn't trying hard enough.

How many stitches?

Four - I was hoping for more so that I could brag about it :grinpimp:

only 4, you got gypped! Should've just super glued it shut and kept working...

curious though, you remove the guard on the grinder or still have it on? Not that it makes a big difference at this point.

only 4, you got gypped! Should've just super glued it shut and kept working...

curious though, you remove the guard on the grinder or still have it on? Not that it makes a big difference at this point.

No guard, damn thing always seems to get in the way. It probably would've saved me the $250 ER visit though.

Santa put a few $ in my stocking this year and looking at starting to compile parts for duals. My main question is regarding shifter options. I like the triple stick options but have heard of problems with fitment. Looks like RAD Design and Davez have good products. Has anybody ran either unit with feedback? It looks like the Davez unit will work without a body lift but I've read the RAD Design unit doesn't - truth? Should I just go twin stick?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom