High elevation, why you need a Turbo, Supercharger, or V8 swap in your L.C. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

One thing I enjoy about driving the cruiser is that I rarely feel like I'm in a hurry. I set my cruise control at 65 most of the time (speed limit out here) and when going up hills i just click the O/D off button and/or throttle back to 55-60.

A long time ago someone told me that the way to judge how hard an engine is working is to compare how far the gas pedal is pushed down vs what you expect the engine to be doing (that person was my dad, and the car was a slow Volvo 240 with a manual transmission). If you are floored going over a pass and the engine is stuck at lower RPM you can bet its getting worked (not in a good burn out the gunk kind of way).

Even though its noisier its actually much easier on an engine to rev it up to peak of the power band for a high load situation (hence the comments on 2nd gear at 4000rpm). More oil pressure, more coolant flow, more airflow (through and around engine) all of which help.

I guess you guys who always go 70 over vail pass and Eisenhower just get lucky with traffic...every time. I get the concept of 2nd and can execute it well, but if I have to come off the gas for even a second or two due to a slower car in the right lane, then I am screwed for the rest of the pass...which seems to be 90% of the time.

I guess you guys who always go 70 over vail pass and Eisenhower just get lucky with traffic...every time. I get the concept of 2nd and can execute it well, but if I have to come off the gas for even a second or two due to a slower car in the right lane, then I am screwed for the rest of the pass...which seems to be 90% of the time.

I 100% agree with this statement ^

Hmm I went over Eisenhower pass west to east and didn't even notice it. :flipoff2:

I only noticed in overdrive. O/D off and I was taking the corners uncomfortably fast until I let off a bit. :D That was 4-5 psi.

I live in area with high altitude, that is the main reason to go with engine swap as 4.5 liter engine feels like driving a VW Beetle. Just got no power. And the problem when you floor the the pedal it becomes gas guzzler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom