Builds Shipwreck (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'd replace it with the XLR plug like on the other end or hard wire it. the controller is supposed to be wireless, and it was for 2 or 3 times.... I haven't fixed the connection because a couple times it's saved me when it got caught and pulled out rather then destroy the controller.... baring that, gorilla tape works pretty good in those situations...
upload_2017-5-28_7-32-22.jpeg

When I went to rope I wrapped the drum with skate board grip tape to keep the line from spinning because I too did not trust the bolt to hold.

Uh, no, I still used the bolt, I'd be concerned that the hose clamps would cut the rope. never mind, enjoy.

How would the drum create heat ?????

the clamps hold the rope in place, the rope is held in place by the wraps.

as for heat, the rope did get warm and outer cover did show signs of melting... and let's remember - I was using this in 20 degree weather in snow....

I guess I'm missing something - the motor generates a tremendous amount of heat under load and that heat goes through the drum (more specifically, there's nothing to keep it out of the drum) - so the statement about no heat is more then a little puzzling to me... not to mention that powering out creates heat too through friction against the brake.

Last edited:
for those who wonder how heat was generated in this FJ40's winch

not 50 feet further down the road (yep, they're both stuck)

100 yards further - just the jeep this time

200 yards further. The truck wouldn't go in 4 wd, so we had to winch him 180 degrees... but to do that we had to unstick people who, I'm sure, will be better prepared next time

the Sammi guys ... all those holes I made before? it took them a bit to get through them.

of course, if you're from the other forum - all those pictures are photoshopped and my rig was on its top after it rolled over because of its short wheelbase... so it couldn't have been there :flipoff2:

Powering out on low profile winches with the brake in the drum is usually the problem with melting synthetic lines.

I have seen a few winches with poor assembly where the brake would drag powering in also.

I have gravitated towards the old upright winches on most of my builds lately. The packaging is a pain, but there is zero heat in the drum. They just seem to work so much better in general. They are huge though and pretty heavy....

Thats why I said never mind, I have an 8274 which does not have any of the issues regarding heat other than the heat created by rope tension.
But of course you are always right in your mind, carry on. At least you are consistent.

here's it not rolling over backwards

In case you want to tell me to my face... there's two monkeys in this picture, tell the smiling one all that ails you. You may wish to talk to the other one for some sympathy.

more of this terrible rig.

*for those who need a dose of sarcasm.... ^^^^^^

I'll really try - on or about that same weekend is a big shindig up here sponsored by Olympic 4x4 and PNW4WD, and also something I'm trying to get started with PNW4WD - 4x4 Remote Medical First Aid. Combines triage training with advanced rescue techniques. It's benefit would be a State/Fed recognized 1st responder certification.... that said, I think the weekend is free so I'll put it on the list and see if I can make it. It's been a long time since I've played at Burns Camp.... like late 80s long time.

NW Overland rally is this weekend.... loaded and off

the Suburban I know most couldn't care less but we know I handle those well, so here it is.... inside,

there's a space for a queen-size mattress in front of the 'kitchen' and I added insulation to the inside along with a powered vent, better lighting, and eventually it will have air conditioning that will run first off the batteries then off a 2000 watt generator
it has a foxwing awning, electric cooler, propane and propane stove. It has 2 125 amp hour telecom batteries (suckers weigh 100 lbs each), and 200 watts of solar panel on the roof. Inside has stereo, radios, (coming soon) water. Truck itself is a 6.2 diesel with an ATS turbo, turbo 400 transmission, 10 bolt front and 14 bolt non-float rear with 3.73 gears and open differentials. Eventually it gets a 5 speed and either a Cummins or Duramax. I like Detroit diesels, but they are certainly old-tech.... but that's eventually - and who knows, I like making old stuff run - and there are several who have got 300 hp and 500 lbs torque (lower compression, increase boost) which would probably be more then enough. I'll also add a welder along with bumpers and a winch. I may not paint it.... at this point, stealth camping could happen so leaving it rustic is a benefit... and at this point, it doesn't look like anything special which I kind of like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom