Where was your Warn winch made? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I remember when I bought my brand new VR10000 in 2014 that the solenoids were Chinese and some parts had a Mexico label and some had USA...so basically just a Chevy, dodge or ford type of situation where they have cheap crap made in other countries and assemble it wherever with the minimum required percentage of US made parts to qualify it for the made in USA sticker. At least it's not like Chevy and ford where they have their parts cast and machined in Mexico and their product assembled in Mexico just across The border and finished with enough American part to qualify it. As mentioned by @shocktower they're assembled in Oregon...which isn't much better than China or Mexico because the whole state is high out of their minds anymore.

All of the machined and cast parts are right here, in Oregon and if you work there, you have to pass a piss test, when ever they want. BTW I don't do anything no alcohol or anything to get high, ok I do crack the windows to smell burning diesel fumes :moon:

Upgrade to a Badlands and report back.
I too bough the Chinese Made Warn. We shall see.
Was $500 for 10K.

Then you bought, something else, Warn make theirs here in Oregon

I know that WARN makes winches here in Oregon, but it doesn't mean they don't outsource parts on occasion. The hardparts such as gears and drums probably all come from their Oregon facility, but I'm sure motors and several other parts are outsourced. That's why so many of us are seeing multiple countries manufacturing labels on the product. I will concede that I'm pretty sure warn doesn't have the whole winch made in China or mexico though.
As for the pee test etc... I'm sure they're like any other manufacturer. Pee test for hiring and when there is an on the job injury, or when there is a question of sobriety. Not randomly or regularly. I've live here my whole life and can tell you with confidence I don't drink, smoke or do any kind of drugs, pot included, but I've worked with several drug addicts and potheads who knew how to get passed random UA's in order to keep their CDL and Armed security permits or their pressbrake,welding,CNC laser, machining jobs. I digress, I will amend the statement and say that most of the state is high anymore.

File Jun 04, 10 39 11 PM.jpeg
File Jun 04, 10 41 35 PM.jpeg

Let's clarify a few things:

• The WARN VR is made in China. It comes out of a factory that is only making our winches built to our specs, our design, our engineering. They are designed, engineered, and tested in our facility in Oregon.
  • All of the other truck winches are leaving our factory in Clackamas, OR. Some parts of them are globally sourced. Some of them come out of our factory. We have a small army of people putting these things together right here in Oregon.
  • All of our mounting systems are made in the USA. We have welders and fabricators welding, cutting, and bending metal at our Clackamas facility. (This includes Trans4mer for Tundra/Tacoma, our Ascent Bumpers for Tacoma, and our earlier Toyota Truck bumpers)
  • Warn employs 500 American workers in our plants in Clackamas and Milwaukie, Oregon. From assemblers to welders; engineers to marketing personnel; teams in distribution and maintenance. We are a global company, and have an office in Amsterdam, and sales all over the world.
You can check out this video that shows a bit about our factories here in Oregon, too.

Andy

Let's clarify a few things:

• The WARN VR is made in China. It comes out of a factory that is only making our winches built to our specs, our design, our engineering. They are designed, engineered, and tested in our facility in Oregon.
  • All of the other truck winches are leaving our factory in Clackamas, OR. Some parts of them are globally sourced. Some of them come out of our factory. We have a small army of people putting these things together right here in Oregon.
  • All of our mounting systems are made in the USA. We have welders and fabricators welding, cutting, and bending metal at our Clackamas facility. (This includes Trans4mer for Tundra/Tacoma, our Ascent Bumpers for Tacoma, and our earlier Toyota Truck bumpers)
  • Warn employs 500 American workers in our plants in Clackamas and Milwaukie, Oregon. From assemblers to welders; engineers to marketing personnel; teams in distribution and maintenance. We are a global company, and have an office in Amsterdam, and sales all over the world.
You can check out this video that shows a bit about our factories here in Oregon, too.

Andy

why is the VR made in China

I understand you're a global company and you have to keep the costs down that's fine but I wonder how long it will be before all your winches are made in China another great American company will get outsourced to China like klein tools, Milwaukee tools ,ridgid tools just to name a few I guess it's our own fault though when you got a guy that sweeps the floors and demands $30 an hour we need to quit selling america people

I understand you're a global company and you have to keep the costs down that's fine but I wonder how long it will be before all your winches are made in China another great American company will get outsourced to China like klein tools, Milwaukee tools ,ridgid tools just to name a few

In all fairness, you could say that about any company that manufactures domestically. However, if history says anything, we've been making product in the U.S. since 1948—nearly 70 years. I would doubt you'd see a cessation in domestic manufacturing from Warn anytime soon.

Andy

In all fairness, you could say that about any company that manufactures domestically. However, if history says anything, we've been making product in the U.S. since 1948—nearly 70 years. I would doubt you'd see a cessation in domestic manufacturing from Warn anytime soon.

Andy
thank you for employing Americans I actually own 2 warn winches and 1 hickey sidewinder

Old American companies often outsource/offshore not necessarily because they want to, but because consumer demand forces them to. It's hard to sell a comparable product at 1.5x or 2x the cost of another. Not everyone is willing to pay that premium for a domestic product.

Old American companies often outsource/offshore not necessarily because they want to, but because consumer demand forces them to. It's hard to sell a comparable product at 1.5x or 2x the cost of another. Not everyone is willing to pay that premium for a domestic product.
i understand and i get it, i for one will pay a little more for a product made in the usa .

Last edited:
Thanks Andy at Warn for checking in and providing a response.

It would be interesting to know how much more the "VR" would sell for if it was produced in Clackamas. My thought is that a winch is somewhat of a luxury item and most of the folks that buy one wouldn't....well maybe they would quibble over 50 bucks.

My unsolicited thought is that Warn is cheapening the brand by producing in China. Honestly I think less of Warn now than I did before reading this post. It matters.

I have an M8000 on the front of my 62....wish I'd bought larger but the 8000 was a difficult enough install due to the space. Now I'm wondering if it too was made in China.

I have an M8000 on the front of my 62....wish I'd bought larger but the 8000 was a difficult enough install due to the space. Now I'm wondering if it too was made in China.

As I mentioned, the only WARN truck winch we don't make here is VR. The M8000 comes out of Clackamas.

I would also like to point out that no other truck/suv winch company in the world employs more Americans than Warn.

Andy

As I mentioned, the only WARN truck winch we don't make here is VR. The M8000 comes out of Clackamas.

I would also like to point out that no other truck/suv winch company in the world employs more Americans than Warn.

Andy
does the VR winch have the same warranty as your other winches from our point of view if it's cheaper priced and made in China it's cheaper quality, if I want a cheap winch I'll go to Harbor Freight Tools and get one

Warn Industries, Thank you for entering the discussion; it's good to see a manufacturer joining in a discussion. I do not own a winch yet but I will do my due diligence when I shop which will be in August. I do appreciate you building some of your business here in the states.

i understand and i get it, i for one will pay a little more for a product made in the usa .

So the question is .. little more, and what about not that little more ? you ( we ) still pay it if it cost a lot more .? and then that a " lot more " would be justified with overwhelming quality, warranty and customer service .?

does the VR winch have the same warranty as your other winches from our point of view if it's cheaper priced and made in China it's cheaper quality, if I want a cheap winch I'll go to Harbor Freight Tools and get one

If one buys a HF winch, try getting parts for it if needed. Or try calling HF's 800# and asking advice on how to get it working again.
John

If the offshore produced WARN (company name in all caps) has the same warranty as the domestically produced product and can be priced less then why not produce everything overseas? It's how the free market works, correct? I assume that WARN is not a philanthropic entity. The company is in the business of making winches and turning a profit.

I contacted a company who's winch sits on my other Land Cruiser and was told that ALL of their product is produced domestically in Tulsa.

If you are into boating, you will recognize Aire in Meridian, ID. Aire has a very good name in the boating community and they produce a line of value priced boats offshore. However they do not put the Aire name on it....it's called a Tributary. Perhaps WARN should consider branding their offshore product under another name.

I'm going to back off of this now and I sincerely appreciate Andy from WARN entering this discussion. My sentiments remain that by producing offshore that WARN is cheapening it's brand name.

Rodney.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom