Pretty quiet in here... what are you working on? (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do whatever you're best at Bart.

The front/driver's-side tire on Rhea's 80 has been leaking air for some time, and I finally got around to plugging it. Weird thing is, I could find no puncture and it appears that it is leaking at the bead just below the valve stem. Does this make sense to anyone? I have never seen a tire leak at the bead.

Absolutely. Any time tire mouting people put a tire on an alloy wheel they carefully clean all the dirt and old rubber from both bead edges of the rim with a wire wheel. Dirt and crap there can certainly cause a leak.

Absolutely. Any time tire mouting people put a tire on an alloy wheel they carefully clean all the dirt and old rubber from both bead edges of the rim with a wire wheel. Dirt and crap there can certainly cause a leak.
One would hope they would do this...

The wife's Lexus just started leaking. I did not look at the rim but the shop said there was corrosion on the bead area. They cleaned it up and no longer leaks.

Anyone have any experience or advice for a distributor that stuck in the block? Right now it's soaking in all my favorite perpetrating oils.

Strap wrench (has a rubber strap sometimes used for an oil filter)

turn it slightly one direction then the other? Wiggle it loose and keep spraying it periodically. I always liked PB Blaster better than WD40

Anyone have any experience or advice for a distributor that stuck in the block? Right now it's soaking in all my favorite perpetrating oils.

I made an adaptor for a slide hammer to get the 60 dizzy out. Pice of flat stock and some long 6mm??-4mm??(not sure of the size) Bolts. Screw the flat stock on the top of the Dizzy and a couple light taps and it came out.

Inherited a 2000 4Runner, 95K miles with an OEM locking rear diff. What should I do with/to it???? Thinking about enhancing its over-land and off-road (nothing as extreme as Matt's 4Runner) capabilities while still keeping it street legal, highway capable and garage parkable. Budget (approved by the better half - so far) for enhancements and related toys is $2,000 +/- (potential increases if I behave) including tires. Yes, the running boards will be the first thing to go. Suggestions appreciated.
Ed

upload_2017-5-29_15-41-33.png

Lift, tires, sliders and a front bumper. With some patience and diligent searching here and on some of the other 4runner sites and CL, I think it all can be had for under $2K.

Last edited:
Ed , I don't remember where exactly I saw it but was reading about people putting stock 80 series springs and longer shocks under those 4Runners. Very affordable and great results

I believe the cruiser springs give a bif lift though, like 4-6" compared to the standard 2-2.5"

I prefer the savage off road skid plates, as there are 4 pieces instead of two heavy ass steel plates. Makes for far easier oil changes. The savage also doesn't cover the CC, which doesn't trap heat on the auto tranny and should help prolong tranny life.

#1 thing to do first is to add a separate auto tranny cooler. Research straw berry milkshake!

Ed, you can always check out my truck anytime. It's quite a bit different than from when I first got the truck.

My favorite mods are the led lights in the dash and my ram mounts for everyday living.

Inherited a 2000 4Runner, 95K miles with an OEM locking rear diff. What should I do with/to it???? Thinking about enhancing its over-land and off-road (nothing as extreme as Matt's 4Runner) capabilities while still keeping it street legal, highway capable and garage parkable. Budget (approved by the better half - so far) for enhancements and related toys is $2,000 +/- (potential increases if I behave) including tires. Yes, the running boards will be the first thing to go. Suggestions appreciated.
Ed

View attachment 1468835

I assume your $2k budget is separate from your uhf/vhf budget for the new ride. :bounce:

I assume your $2k budget is separate from your uhf/vhf budget for the new ride. :bounce:

Absolutely, positively separate!!! And drilling holes for antennas will definitely be the first project.

Thanks guys for all the information. Great input. I have lots of homework to do. I hope to have it somewhat trail ready for CMCC.

Let me know if you're going down to HRO in Woodbridge any time soon. I'd love to have a radio Sherpa with me when I go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom