Where are my speakers, and how do I plug in a radio? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
instagram.com
Hello! I bought a 1973 FJ40 (nearly all stock), and it's missing a radio. Naturally, I want a radio. I've been told RetroSound makes good radios... I'll check there, but let me know if you recommend anything else.

Here is my question. Where are my speakers? I know there's one in the glove box, but that's the only one I could find. Is there another anywhere? Also, what cables are used to plug in a radio? My radio slot is empty and I have many cables dangling behind it. How do I plug in a radio if I get one?

Thanks in advance!

AFAIK stock had only 1 speaker by the glovebox. anything else was added by a PO.

I've seen many different options. I myself also went with the bit more expensive Retrosound stereo. Has bluetooth and is customizable enough to fit in the small spot for the radio. As far as speakers and placement go the options are endless. I believe there is a FAQ link for this question which I'm sure has been asked since the inception of the FJ40. Maybe do a quick search or look in the FAQ too.

I spent a whole bunch of money on a top of the line stereo,amplifier,waterproof speakers,security boxes for the speakers,console for the stereo,waterproof wiring and connectors,spent hours mounting and installing everything..............all this and I can't even hear the music over the hum of the tires and the purr :D of the F as it roars down the road :meh:.I don't even bother turning it on anymore.

I spent a whole bunch of money on a top of the line stereo,amplifier,waterproof speakers,security boxes for the speakers,console for the stereo,waterproof wiring and connectors,spent hours mounting and installing everything..............all this and I can't even hear the music over the hum of the tires and the purr :D of the F as it roars down the road :meh:.I don't even bother turning it on anymore.
Damn... that sucks. Would you consider selling some equipment?

A ton of different options. All are custom, as I dont think the stock radio will satisfy most. I have a retrosound 2 radio and two speakers attached to the roll bar in the back corners of the rear. Sounds good, isnt obtrusive and can be removed without leaving holes.
Nice! Do you have any pics?

Check out my build thread starting on this page:

Won a '74 40 on a coin toss...

I went with a Tuffy console for the cheaper Pioneer stereo and then really inexpensive waterproof speakers ($17/pair). Got a nice alpine amp and Rockford fosgate subwoofer and am happy. That being said like others these things are loud don't expect music hall sound/acoustics. I actually wear musicians ear plugs when I drive mine for an extended period so I get to hear the stereo still but a lot of the ambient noise is gone.

Sorry easier to just take new photos vs sort through my thread (there are some shots before page 10). Here are the speakers:

IMG_8553.JPG

Subwoofer
IMG_8554.JPG

Rear speakers mounted to roll bar
IMG_8556.JPG

I hooked up a speaker to a 2 channel amp then I sent the signal from my phone to a module for volume control then into the RCA inputs on the amp. No radio but I used my phone to listen to internet radio stations. It worked great. If I ever get my 40 going I am planning on the same setup.

I've seen many different options. I myself also went with the bit more expensive Retrosound stereo. Has bluetooth and is customizable enough to fit in the small spot for the radio. As far as speakers and placement go the options are endless. I believe there is a FAQ link for this question which I'm sure has been asked since the inception of the FJ40. Maybe do a quick search or look in the FAQ too.
Thanks. Which RetroSound model did you get?

But keep singing ! After 10 years of ownership your voice and volume suddenly seems to gets better

:cheers:

I hooked up a speaker to a 2 channel amp then I sent the signal from my phone to a module for volume control then into the RCA inputs on the amp. No radio but I used my phone to listen to internet radio stations. It worked great. If I ever get my 40 going I am planning on the same setup.

I'm working toward the same setup... what module?

I'm working toward the same setup... what module?

I bought 2 setups. Here is what I used. Worked with my iPhone 4 and iPod. I removed the switch from the black plastic housing. Used original 36 Ford knob on shaft after I mounted it behind dash. The harness has a separate wire for power so the phone is charging while driving. I have not checked out about using the mini USB plug yet. I assume it will be very similar.
IMG_20170528_122633467_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170528_122654896.jpg

Finding a good location for speakers was not so easy, especially if you don't want to start drilling holes.
Sound system installation has been covered pretty extensively in previous threads with lots of good & creative options.

Here is one option that I would have used at the time had I known about it.

ION Audio makes a self contained sound system called the ION Bluetooth tailgater IPA-77.
We have 3 of these now and my wife uses one every day in and out of the house and streams music to it from her phone.

It is an AM-FM-Bluetooth receiver, amp, power supply and speakers all in a rugged portable box.
The sound quality is terrific.
It can run 50 hours unplugged off of the internal lead acid battery.
12.5" wide by 9.4" deep by 12.8" tall.
Comes with a PA mode with microphone that can be used to harass pedestrians and a USB port for charging other devices.

Easiest install would be to wire in an inverter that turns off with the ignition and plug the ION into it.

$120 from Walmart plus the cost of an inverter.

Ion bluetoothg tailgater.jpg

Last edited:
Finding a good location for speakers was not so easy, especially if you don't want to start drilling holes.
Sound system installation has been covered pretty extensively in previous threads with lots of good & creative options.

Here is one option that I would have used at the time had I known about it.

ION Audio makes a self contained sound system called the ION Bluetooth tailgater IPA-77.
We have 3 of these now and my wife uses one every day in and out of the house and streams music to it from her phone.

It is an AM-FM-Bluetooth receiver, amp, power supply and speakers all in a rugged portable box.
The sound quality is terrific.
It can run 50 hours unplugged off of the internal lead acid battery.
12.5" wide by 9.4" deep by 12.8" tall.
Comes with a PA mode with microphone that can be used to harass pedestrians and a USB port for charging other devices.

Easiest install would be to wire in an inverter that turns off with the ignition and plug the ION into it.

$120 from Walmart plus the cost of an inverter.

View attachment 1468365

Since our beloved 40's are pretty easy to get into, I would be concerned that would walk... Not to mention I prefer music to be in front of me like when at a concert. Sorry that is my audiophile snob from 25 years ago raring its ugly head... :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom