Need Steel Rim Replacment help - 16x7 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

After a couple thousand miles mine are still great. Painted them dark grey today.
IMG_4402.JPG
IMG_4401.JPG

IMG_4393.JPG

Quick question, what should I use for a spacer to mount the new wheel to the spare tire carrier. I need some sort of a spacer because of the different backspace of the wheel. I can probably fab something up, but thought I would ask.
Thanks
Ken

Thanks for the info. I'm going to check ebay. I think a 1" spacer would probably work for me, what size did you use.

I used 1" spacer and have 33x12.50 Pro Comp Mud Terrain tires. Tire no longer rubs on the carrier and carrier now swings out to 90 degrees.

Anyone mount the 12-670604 smoothies on a dark gray 60/62? Would like to see what color works.

My 15x7 Vintiques won't fit on the front. The welds are sort of tallish and they bang into the brake calipers. I need to add a spacer I guess.

Edit: they don't fit the back, either. Won't clear the GM metric calipers.

Last edited:
If someone is in need of one wheel spacer for your spare carrier I have one I will sell you. They come in sets of two so I have one on mine and no use for the other.
Trail gear 1.25" 6x5.5 bolt pattern . I would do $25, free shipping. Spacer has never been taken out of box.

Just mounted the new Wheel Vintiques with 235/85/16 on my BJ42 with the stock suspension, seems to fit great. I painted the wheels with Rustoleum.

View attachment 1458916

View attachment 1458917
I am looking to purchase a set of these wheels as well. You have a little time to test them out, any pros and cons? Anyone that has purchase a set, a review would be much appreciated.

I am looking to purchase a set of these wheels as well. You have a little time to test them out, any pros and cons? Anyone that has purchase a set, a review would be much appreciated.

SW20

These rims have been great on my BJ42. With the tires I have, 265/85/16, there is no rubbing and they look OEM.

Don't forget that you can in most cases put the balance weights on the inside, better for looks and not loosing the when out playing in the dirt.
Still love mine.

Here's another candidate I came across. Dexstar trailer wheel. 16x6, 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern.

I ordered one and the wheel I got had no "windows" in the center part and the center hub bore is too small. There are bumps stamped in for a hub cap that are wrong too. Add all that with the need to manufacture clips and install on a wheel that isn't intended for a passenger vehicle and I called it quits.

Someone may be able to make something work with it, so I thought I'd share for the data at least.
Screenshot_20180115-123637.png

Looked like a good candidate, but stay away from trailer wheels, to bad it did not work out. The 16x7 wheel is the best for a 40-45 a few of my buddies bought the same wheel as I have in 16" for the FJ40 and love them and now can us a bigger tire than the 15" offered.
Cheers

Thanks for all the info and legwork guys. I've been looking for 16x7 rim around town with no luck-- all the local sources want to search by vehicle, which doesn't turn up anything because 16x7 isn't stock. I was talking to a fellow FJ 40 guy last night who was also on the wheel hunt and he said he has 16x7 smoothies with 3.5 backspace coming from Wheel Vintiques directly, for $145 each shipped. He called them after seeing their smoothies on the summit racing site. They will apparently do custom backspacing for only an extra $25 per wheel. I haven't verified any of this with wheel vintiques yet.

I had already ordered a wheel with 4" backspacing from summit racing, which will be here tomorrow, based on the info in this thread. I was going to verify fitment on my rig before ordering 4 more, and paint and mount. The guy I talked to last night encouraged me to return it and get the wheel vintique wheel. Anywhooo...

Here's what I would like help on: So if stock OEM wheel is 5.5" wide with 3.25" backspacing, one would assume that Toyota designed their backspacing specs so that the wheel sits in the 'sweet spot' fitment wise (or at least in a specific location for design/engineering purposes). Going from 5.5 to 7 wheel is a difference of 1.5"; divided by 2 is .75". So to get centerline of larger wheel and smaller wheel to line up, the larger wheel positioned .75" out from both sides. Adding this additional .75" to OEM backspacing, should position the larger wheel on the OEM centerline no? That means 3.25" plus .75" or a 4" backspacing for a 7" wheel is actually preferable to stock backspacing, assuming it fits (which you guys have indicated it does).

Is my rationale on the backspacing correct? It seems perhaps chasing 3.25" backspacing around for a wider wheel might actual be less desirable than the readily available 4" backspacing, assuming it fits and functions properly? Or maybe I'm just rationalizing the 4"?

I would appreciate your insights, Matt

Last edited:
What a great thread.

I really do not think anyone will find a better wheel in a 16" that will work. Today I had a bit of time and did some more just in case searching and could not find anything as these rims and the back space is perfect but if you are working with an older LC and also a different model than a FJ40/45 please state that in your information. Thanks

This is a great thread! I have been watching it for a good while and thought I would share my wheel/ tire combo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom