HDJ81 coolant level question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I wasn't able to find any posts dealing with the 1HD-T (HDJ81) regarding what the proper coolant level should be and when to check it. I also looked at the FSM for the 1HD-T (page CO-3 and CO-4) and couldn't find any more elaboration on this...

So, when I check the coolant in the plastic reservoir tank (i.e. the tank with the 'Full'/'Low' lines on a semi-translucent white plastic tank connected to the radiator) when the vehicle is cold, the coolant is an inch or so above the 'Low' mark. I then checked the radiator by taking off the radiator cap and the coolant is pretty much to the very top of the radiator at the base of the cap. We have not had any issues with cooling/heating at all, so this is a basic maintenance question. The coolant was recently changed to Toyota Red back when I bought the vehicle in November of 2016 by Land Cruiser's Direct.

My question: Should I just add coolant (when the vehicle is cold) to the plastic reservoir tank up to the 'Full' level and that's it?

Thanks!!

Thanks @tweeek...it's good to hear it stated like that. Sounds like I'm ok assuming the coolant level doesn't really change over time. I'll have to check the coolant level when it's hot to see where it comes to in the plastic reservoir tank (being careful that it's hot and under pressure at the cap!).

I wasn't sure if it would cause trouble if I were to fill the plastic reservoir tank to the "Full" level when it was cold...I just don't want it to overflow unnecessarily, nor do I want be low on coolant :)

Thanks @tweeek...it's good to hear it stated like that. Sounds like I'm ok assuming the coolant level doesn't really change over time. I'll have to check the coolant level when it's hot to see where it comes to in the plastic reservoir tank (being careful that it's hot and under pressure at the cap!).

I wasn't sure if it would cause trouble if I were to fill the plastic reservoir tank to the "Full" level when it was cold...I just don't want it to overflow unnecessarily, nor do I want be low on coolant :)
I've made that mistake of filling to the full line when warm. Puked all over the fender and battery tray.

Take the rad cap off when cool.
Coolant should be at the top of rad.

Overflow is designed to accept coolant via over pressurized rad cap, coolant is sucked back into rad as things cool down.
Keep an eye on both the rad and overflow.
As long as you are not losing coolant your system is fine.
Try a new rad cap, this will keep the system properly pressurized.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom