PS Pump noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LBridges

SILVER Star
Threads
I have some power steering pump noise that I don't understand. The noise is louder than normal if the wheels are straight ahead; vehicle parked, or in drive/reverse while going straight.

Pump gets a lot quieter (about like I remember "normal") when the steering wheel is turned off center. This is in park, or with the wife driving it out of the driveway and me pacing the truck as she turns to leave.

Hard to tell exactly, but after a couple of mile run the system seems definitely quieter in the straight ahead position.

About a month ago I did the PS system flush thing written about here - steering feel was fine just dirty, feel remains the same. Nothing else changed, no leaks, PS reservoir level OK.

I used Castrol TransMaxx ATF that they claim is Honda/Toyota compatible - but maybe not so good for PS?

Diagnosis, or ideas to troubleshoot most welcome.

Did you clean the screen inside the reservoir? If not, it has to be cleaned too. I wore goggles and then clean the screen with brake parts cleaner.

Interested to see how this conversation progresses. Have a noisy ps pump as well. Very noticeable at cold start then gets quieter as it warms up. I did the flush, cleaned the screen and replaced the ps pump. ATF was Mobil 1. Drives great no other issues. Wonder if there is an issue with the rack. After a little more hopeless searching, if I can't find the issue, I will replace the rack next.

Some say to always leave one thing broken to not tempt fate. I think fate is on our LC's side.

Will let you know what I find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom