Post up what you pedal (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@BillRiley - that mustard color frame bike, what's the story there?

Looks like a 26"/27.5" wheel mountain bike, on a road geometry frame - a roadie that is fine with a mild stretch of singletrack???

I'm not 'up' on all genres of bikes, so if this is a normal thing I just have never seen it - but it looks like a very practical road ride type bike.

@LINUS that is a CX or Cyclocross bike. Basically, a road bike with slightly wider tires that is meant for offroad usage in the genre of gravel grinding and grass. CX racing is a whole different story, guys that do that professionally are anaerobic machines like you have never seen before. Think of doing a short, 3-5mile looped track that varies in terrain and elevation (short punchy climbs) and you are pushing at 90-110% of your anaerobic heartrate the entire race.

gregnash, I never responded to your question about the Pipeline. I just saw your question earlier this morning.

I was very hesitant to try the plus size tires; my full suspension 29'r at the time was super and duper, and my steel hardtail is a 29'r too. I couldn't see riding a different wheel size.

The bike shop I own carries Rocky Mountain and I was willing to try their 27.5+ bike, the Pipeline. Need to ride what we sell, right? About 2 hours into my first ride, I knew the Pipeline was going to be my rowdy bike. I do stupid stuff on it with abandon and keep coming out alive.

I've been really impressed. Like the bike a lot. Does everything very well.

@LINUS & @gregnash - the mustard bike (paint color is House of Kolor Lime Gold Pearl) is actually made for gravel riding as opposed to a pure cyclocross geometry. The main difference from a pure CX bike is that the bottom bracket is lower so the center of gravity is also lower. With a CX bike, you want a higher bottom bracket so you can clear obstacles and not clip the pedals in turns. With a gravel bike, that's less important and the lower COG is better for the higher speeds encountered.

gregnash, I never responded to your question about the Pipeline. I just saw your question earlier this morning.

I was very hesitant to try the plus size tires; my full suspension 29'r at the time was super and duper, and my steel hardtail is a 29'r too. I couldn't see riding a different wheel size.

The bike shop I own carries Rocky Mountain and I was willing to try their 27.5+ bike, the Pipeline. Need to ride what we sell, right? About 2 hours into my first ride, I knew the Pipeline was going to be my rowdy bike. I do stupid stuff on it with abandon and keep coming out alive.

I've been really impressed. Like the bike a lot. Does everything very well.
No worries dude... Have you tried running it with 29er tires/wheels? One thing that interests me about the 27.5+ is most have the ability to run 29er 2.4" tires. I am interested in trying 27.5 to see what it is like but really, really love my wagon wheels.

unnamed.jpg

unnamed (17).jpg

2017 Diamondback Release 3
150/130 27.5 trail bike
Pike rct3 in front monarch plus rc3 in rear.
I've put roughly 200 miles on it, still playing around with volume spacers in the fork and shock. Super impressed with how well this thing climbs.

@justintpryor You are gonna have to get your whip down here to Carson soon. Trails have been in great shape lately. I still need to get the bike up to Reno, but looks like I am taking over our softball team so that may be slightly limited until I get that underwraps.

I got this old Colnago today, belonged to a good friend who passed away a couple of years ago. I talked him into buying it (used) back in 88 so we could ride road bikes together as well as the mountain biking we were already really into.
It's some Campy Super Record with a Mavic bottom bracket, headset, stem, bars, and front derailleur. Dura Ace seat post.
Tubing is Columbus, I thought SL but it's main tubes are fluted. Did they do a fluted SL?

Lots of little paint chips and decal tears. Haven't decided if I'll do a restoration or just leave it as is - probably leave it. No rush to decide.
RIP Big Al :(

35108581432_05e3c8a6f2_c.jpg

I still have and ride my fillet brazed Brodie, got it new in '86 I think. It got a Deore XT gruppo from the very first shipment of index shifters that came to canada. Still rocking the original Hite-Rite Xtra Hite. I'm old :flipoff2:

14963890355_cdc4f5a1a2_o.jpg

And a terrible pic of my '88 Pinarello Montello. Chromo Velato finish, full Super Record. Now I need to take it downstairs, dust it off, wax it up, and see if the tubulars still hold air. Then put it back because I'm in way too lousy a shape to ride it anywhere!
35275105135_c25fb900af_z.jpg

I got this old Colnago today, belonged to a good friend who passed away a couple of years ago. I talked him into buying it (used) back in 88 so we could ride road bikes together as well as the mountain biking we were already really into.
It's some Campy Super Record with a Mavic bottom bracket, headset, stem, bars, and front derailleur. Dura Ace seat post.
Tubing is Columbus, I thought SL but it's main tubes are fluted. Did they do a fluted SL?

Lots of little paint chips and decal tears. Haven't decided if I'll do a restoration or just leave it as is - probably leave it. No rush to decide.
RIP Big Al :(

35108581432_05e3c8a6f2_c.jpg

I still have and ride my fillet brazed Brodie, got it new in '86 I think. It got a Deore XT gruppo from the very first shipment of index shifters that came to canada. Still rocking the original Hite-Rite Xtra Hite. I'm old :flipoff2:

14963890355_cdc4f5a1a2_o.jpg

And a terrible pic of my '88 Pinarello Montello. Chromo Velato finish, full Super Record. Now I need to take it downstairs, dust it off, wax it up, and see if the tubulars still hold air. Then put it back because I'm in way too lousy a shape to ride it anywhere!
35275105135_c25fb900af_z.jpg

Some nice classy rides there!! Even thou I mostly ride MTB or bikepacking rigs there is just something to a vintage Colnago or Pinarello.

Some nice classy rides there!! Even thou I mostly ride MTB or bikepacking rigs there is just something to a vintage Colnago or Pinarello.

Thanks, and I agree about the older italian steel. They're beautiful machines.
Dusted off the Pinarello and it cleans up pretty good.
35253634476_37f8836d2d_c.jpg

34450155554_27f50e50f7_c.jpg

IMG_1761.JPG
Thanks, and I agree about the older italian steel. They're beautiful machines.
Dusted off the Pinarello and it cleans up pretty good.
35253634476_37f8836d2d_c.jpg

34450155554_27f50e50f7_c.jpg
Nice! I still have my 1978 Charles Roberts Super that I used to race.

I did my last restoration in 1987. New paint , braze-ons and Campy Super Record. The crankset is Galli, an Italian Campy clone.

Reynolds 531 double butted through out.

Last edited:
@powthief19 How close? I live in Carson so head up that way (when snow finally melts) as much as I can. This year has not seen any Tahoe riding time due to lots of travel. Hoping to hit the Flume soon but sounds like the Mt. Rose Meadows is still covered in snow.. Need to get some time to recon some trails.

@powthief19 How close? I live in Carson so head up that way (when snow finally melts) as much as I can. This year has not seen any Tahoe riding time due to lots of travel. Hoping to hit the Flume soon but sounds like the Mt. Rose Meadows is still covered in snow.. Need to get some time to recon some trails.
i rode earlier today around South lake... Christmas Valley to be exact... the best trail around here hands down... and it's MINT right now. shoot me a PM if you want to ride. I'm in Gardnerville.

mounting my trans/tcase to my motor today, hopefully have it finished here in a few minutes... but i've got a question on installing the clutch fork... so here i am on mud!

i rode earlier today around South lake... Christmas Valley to be exact... the best trail around here hands down... and it's MINT right now. shoot me a PM if you want to ride. I'm in Gardnerville.

mounting my trans/tcase to my motor today, hopefully have it finished here in a few minutes... but i've got a question on installing the clutch fork... so here i am on mud!

Nice... so Christmas Valley as is riding through Toads down Corral or somewhere else? Normally dont go south all the often and this year has been pretty minimal do to travel and work related things. Want to get back down that way though since the leg is doing better.

Although my preference is trail riding on a mountain bike, I bought this 70's vintage Schwinn Super Le Tour $100 special for the occasional road bike outing. Gotta love the frame mounted gear shifts. :)
B bike.jpeg

You didn't tell me you're a cyclist too Chris! I'm warming up these days for a metric century in a few weeks. My ride is featured here somewhere. Now vintage Bianchi 24 speed.

P.S. I just found that steering box gasket I misplaced when you were here! Good thing I had another to finish the job.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom