94 delayed cranking. Starter, ignition switch, or other? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SUMMIT CRUISERS

SILVER Star
Threads
Just wondering if anyone has experienced and solved this issue.
This morning I tried to start my son's 94 and I turned the key several times and no click but the instrument panel lit up with each swing of the key. I tried with the shifter in Neutral and still no crank. I then held the key in the forward/crank position for about 5 seconds then it cranked over and started right up. I have noticed this before but usually the cranking is delayed for a second or two at most. It also performs perfectly after truck is warm and has been running.

Truck facts:
94 with 280k, starter contact rebuild about 6 months ago, new fusible links about 2 months ago, new battery ground about 2 years ago, great battery and clean battery posts.

Any ideas?

I'm having the same issue, it's happened twice since my starter rebuild about 8 months ago. I was going to pull the starter and check my contacts/plunger, but I'll wait and see where this thread goes....subscrbed

Ive dealt with it and solved it. Bypass the old wiring from the ignition switch to the starter. Wiring, connectors and connections get old and create intermittent connections. There's an old thread of mine where I tackle this problem a couple times. Check it out. It's the wiring.

This morning I tried to start my son's 94 and I turned the key several times and no click but the instrument panel lit up with each swing of the key. I tried with the shifter in Neutral and still no crank. I then held the key in the forward/crank position for about 5 seconds then it cranked over and started right up. I have noticed this before but usually the cranking is delayed for a second or two at most. It also performs perfectly after truck is warm and has been running.

Truck facts:
94 with 280k, starter contact rebuild about 6 months ago, new fusible links about 2 months ago, new battery ground about 2 years ago, great battery and clean battery posts.

Any ideas?

BTW... I have a 94 with 250K.

Truck facts:

Any ideas?

How did it work out? Any update?

How did it work out? Any update?
Thanks for checking in. I haven't had a chance to address the wiring. Crazy thing is that yesterday it clicked and I tapped on the solenoid with a broom handle and it fired right up. I think I'm going to order another set of contacts and plunger while I'm in there. I'll update as progress is made. Thx again.

Steve

This is how I solved that problem. A Ford OEM solenoid, the way it was done in old VWs. Eight years later working great...
Puerquito diagram.jpg

This is how I solved that problem. A Ford OEM solenoid, the way it was done in old VWs. Eight years later working great... View attachment 1455239

Thanks for the tip. Crazy question: Is this eliminating the Toyota solenoid all together? Or just being used inline between the ignition switch wire and the Toyota solenoid?

Thanks for the tip. Crazy question: Is this eliminating the Toyota solenoid all together? Or just being used inline between the ignition switch wire and the Toyota solenoid?
No, just attach as it shows in the picture. Found this video, hope it helps....

I can't remember if I had dash lights when I experienced delayed cranking times. But years ago, I was rebuilding the contacts on my starter twice a year until the delayed starting got longer. Had a suggestion that it was probably the solenoid starting to go. Ended up replacing the starter and haven't had any issues since.

Anybody know the size solenoid required to do this?

Here's the one I ordered:
New Ford Starter Car Truck Solenoid Relay 12V HeavyDuty SW3 - Assembled In USA | eBay

Not sure if I will install. It adds another "mod" to the rig and I need to make sure all items wiring, grounds, connections can be done 100% right in order for me to install. I will decide when I get into it. On a further note; doing this bypasses the Toyota solenoid (installing jumper) which if doing so, why not just fix/replace the solenoid. I know… I replaced the contacts about 6 months ago and don't particularly want to keep doing that. I think i'll start by pulling the starting and doing an inspection of the solenoid contacts/plunger.

Here's the one I ordered:
New Ford Starter Car Truck Solenoid Relay 12V HeavyDuty SW3 - Assembled In USA | eBay

Not sure if I will install. It adds another "mod" to the rig and I need to make sure all items wiring, grounds, connections can be done 100% right in order for me to install. I will decide when I get into it. On a further note; doing this bypasses the Toyota solenoid (installing jumper) which if doing so, why not just fix/replace the solenoid. I know… I replaced the contacts about 6 months ago and don't particularly want to keep doing that. I think i'll start by pulling the starting and doing an inspection of the solenoid contacts/plunger.

This setup does not fix the OEM solenoid issue, but gives an extra boost to the starting system.

This setup does not fix the OEM solenoid issue, but gives an extra boost to the starting system.

That makes sense. The jumper makes the plunger and contacts engage only when the stronger power is obtained and sent through the Ford solenoid.

I'm definitely on for installing the Ford solenoid. Thanks, jvazquez53,

IMG_4529.JPG
Installed the Ford solenoid today.
It mounted on the existing holes that the power steering shaft cover bolted to. Only time will tell if it solves the problem. Will update in a week or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom