Builds "Guinea Pig" GX460 Light Build Thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Geewiz, you can rent spring compressors from autozone. I have never used a strap but I'd imagine it's not the most stable means.

Haha nothing wrong with a little redneck engineering! It was plenty stable once you wrap the strap around the coil so it won't slip off. We weren't going full compression on the the thing, just putting enough on it to slide into place. It's not like we were trying to compress the front assembly with a ratchet strap!

One trick I've done to remove the rear coils is while the vehicle is solid on the ground, attach the spring compressors and just "snug" the tension on the coil. Since the weight of the truck is already compressing the coil you wont have to compress much more. Then lift the vehicle with a jack (and be careful and use jack stands) and raise that side of the vehicle. Once you get high enough the coil will basically fall out since the spring compressors won't let it extend and take up the height distance. You can then carefully release the tension on the coil and remove the compressors. You can then compress your new coil and install. This process doesn't really help with the install of coils, but it makes the removal a bit quicker and easy since you're only compressing the old coil the bare minimum.

Special thanks to stilespendleton
If he's the first, I maybe the second with these Ironman kit :)

IMG_4023.JPG

Looks great @visuthdy!!!

I was able to go out with a couple of the local guys to do a run up on Tray Mountian and the FCPs were like night and day compared to the Bilstein's from the last trip up there. The damper/response was so much better down the washed out gravel roads at higher speeds. Flex was really nice and I was able to stuff the 275/70s really nice! I still have some rub on my UCA, but either spacers or new wheels will solve that issue.

Awesome videos. I cringed just a little watching the second video when you scrapped you lower bumper. Guess that MT front bumper will come in handy.

Question: Is the ATRAC always engaged when 4Lo or the center diff lock is selected? There's no separate switch or mode. And then is TRAC always on when normal "4HI" is on?

@SnoViking I didn't even notice the front bumper when I did it, but definitely cringed after I watched it the first time. My approach line could have been better. The MT bumper will definitely help out with that!

I have a bunch of videos I stuck on the lead vehicle during our quick run, but haven't had a chance to put it all together. We got some really good shots of the entire group.

Yes ATRAC is always on in 4L and TRAC is on in 4H. I hardly ever lock the center diff. I really like going to 4L and using the second start for the slow crawls.

Well that makes a lot more sense than the whole press the start button thing twice..... I'll have to play around with that.

@stilespenleton Your build is coming out great! How would you compare the Ironman suspension in ride comfort and handling with the OEM suspension?

@Nickk6 Thanks! I would say that the ride is marginally firmer over stock, but no where near really stiff. I have the TOY055B springs up front and TOY056B springs in the rear which is rated for 0-660lbs of weight (not constant rate). I think the best way I can put it is that my wife who notices everything I do to the vehicle, was unable to notice a difference in overall ride quality. She noticed more when I put the E-Rated tires more than the Foam Cell Pros. Ultimately, it still rides like a Lexus, which is a win for me!

I was contemplating the IronMan FCP option, but changed gears and went with Dobinson's all around. Total install, based on my spring choice, gave me about 2 1/4 up front and about 1 3/4 in the rear, which is exactly what I was looking for, as it gave me some height and fixed some of the rake issue. Price point was comparable to OME, and having that installed on my 100 series, I can say they ride (somewhat) similar. A definite improvement over stock.

As a note, I was out at Cruise Moab last week and saw the Metal Tech 460 with front and rear bumpers. That rear bumper is huge, very similar in design and look to the GX 470 bumper.

Copy of IMG_20170414_120132.jpg

I was contemplating the IronMan FCP option, but changed gears and went with Dobinson's all around. Total install, based on my spring choice, gave me about 2 1/4 up front and about 1 3/4 in the rear, which is exactly what I was looking for, as it gave me some height and fixed some of the rake issue. Price point was comparable to OME, and having that installed on my 100 series, I can say they ride (somewhat) similar. A definite improvement over stock.

As a note, I was out at Cruise Moab last week and saw the Metal Tech 460 with front and rear bumpers. That rear bumper is huge, very similar in design and look to the GX 470 bumper.

View attachment 1457459

That is a great looking truck. What size tires and is there any rubbing? Did you need any wheel spacers? Also, who made the sliders and any problem working around the hydraulic lines? Thanks

@zman7980 your truck looks great! In talking with Mark at MT4x4, the bumpers for the GX460 were designed to look identical to the Goblin and Pegasus bumpers for the GX470. He wanted to make the front bumper fit without having to cut the factory bumper. As for the rear he basically told me that in order for it to not look too bulky, you'd have to cut the rear bumper since the sides of the factory bumper go all the way to the tail lights. Luckily for me, I have my old rear bumper from some collsiion work I had done and will use that to cut so I can keep the stock one if I ever go back.

I haven't seen too many pictures of the rear bumper for the GX460. Even if the rear bumper is massive, its got to be better than the stock bumper in terms of clearance! Every time I wheel, I drag the factory tow package. Luckily I have that or I'd probably ripped my bumper off!

That is a great looking truck. What size tires and is there any rubbing? Did you need any wheel spacers? Also, who made the sliders and any problem working around the hydraulic lines? Thanks
thanks tucsonix. I am running 255/70/18 ko2's..a little narrower than most are running, but I got a screaming deal on them and they work for me. I am not currently running wheel spacers. I have a tiny bit of rub on the front driver side, but only at full lock going over a bump. I have trimmed most of the splash guard away, so it's a very minor rub. The sliders are Metal Tech. @stilespendleton had a good write up earlier in this thread on the drivers side KDSS lines. The passenger side bolted up piece of cake, and on the driver side, these sliders are fabbed to fit under/around the KDSS lines and bolt mounts. It took a little extra time to mount up, but all in all, it was a pretty simple install.

@zman7980 your truck looks great! In talking with Mark at MT4x4, the bumpers for the GX460 were designed to look identical to the Goblin and Pegasus bumpers for the GX470. He wanted to make the front bumper fit without having to cut the factory bumper. As for the rear he basically told me that in order for it to not look too bulky, you'd have to cut the rear bumper since the sides of the factory bumper go all the way to the tail lights. Luckily for me, I have my old rear bumper from some collsiion work I had done and will use that to cut so I can keep the stock one if I ever go back.

I haven't seen too many pictures of the rear bumper for the GX460. Even if the rear bumper is massive, its got to be better than the stock bumper in terms of clearance! Every time I wheel, I drag the factory tow package. Luckily I have that or I'd probably ripped my bumper off!
Thanks stilespendelton. Agreed, the rear bumper will be a huge upgrade over the bulbous stock rear bumper (which does drag). Here is a shot of the rear MT bumper on the 460 (from Cruise Moab last week). I hope there are no issues posting this up for people to see. It makes sense that some trimming will be required, that is the case with the Kaymar, and probably most/all that start making these go forward.
IMG_20170504_185838.jpg

Found a crazy deal on a set of Mamba M16's (specs are 18x9" -12mm offset) and couldn't resist. Really changes up the way the truck looks. Had to do some more fender massaging, but also realized am hitting the body mount, so a body mount chop will be happening in the near future.

That really completes the truck, nice work! Do you know if those wheels are hub centric? I've been looking at wheels and haven't really found anything that is hub centric in 18s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom