resealing hardtop rain gutter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I removed the rain gutter today, cleaned everything, and took it to the welder to get a few rust spots repaired.

I have been reading threads about resealing. My plan is to buy new rivets from CCOT. CCOT and others recommend using 3m fast and firm sealant. to reseal. I have also read about others using a self leveling sealant around the rivets after it is put back together.

After reading, here is my plan. Everything is going to be completely cleaned and painted. I was going to use 3M fast and firm to seal the gutter to the top, around the edges. As I put in the rivets, I was going to put some sealant in each hole. That looks like the way it was done in the factory. The 3m product doesnt have a lot of working time, so I think I want to do it in stages. Of course, final painting after all this.

Another option was to use the 3Mproduct putting on the rain gutter, then follow up with the self leveling sealer after installing the rivets.

I have a way of really messing up these type of projects, so I wanted to ask before I started buying stuff.

Thinking of going with the CCOT headliner also.....any comments on it?

Many thanks.

I did mine exactly how you are going to do yours and it turned out great. I did seam seal the top outer edge with the fast n firm also. It lays down nice and looks great now that it's painted. I bought cruiser corps liner and the corners did not come out very nice. I think the corners should have been sewn differently so they would lay down better. If it starts falling down I decided I am takin gins it to an interior shop to get it perfect.If you search my name you will see a picture of my install. I think it's under the restoration post.

The headliners are difficult to install and have a good result if the top is installed on the truck. Some people might call it 'near impossible' and I say that because I would have said it loudly while I did it.

It's a whole bunch easier to do if the top is off the truck, upside down/headliner up.

I'm liking what some people are doing with outdoor carpet type materials used as headliners. Obviously, that's not the correct way but the result can look very good and help retain cab heat or insulate against outside heat while being a sound deadening thing as well. If I ever need to do it again that's the way I'll go.

(Umm, Homer, 'outdoor carpet' doesn't have to mean AstroTurf or other phony lawn. There are other choices)

Please post some pictures of the process. I need to do the same thing but instead of a head liner I and thing about doing a spray in Rhino liner In White. I was also thinking about having the liner wrap around to the rain gutter and stop right past the rivets instead of using a self leveling Sealer

Hey there, I'm in the middle of a restoration of my roof, which is pretty chewed up on one edge/corner. Got the new gutter from CCOT with rivets, but have no idea how to install them (possible I got something when originally bought, but was over a year ago before I got to this project!)
Long term results good with your 3M product?
What's the name of the self-leveling sealer?

@CarDude --how'd the Rhino Liner work out? I'm planning on Lizard Skin.

3m Fast n firm sealer is what I used. Check CCOT website, they have some instructions for installing Rivets. You can get a hand held rivet squeezer on Amazon. I have one, but it is loaned to another Mudder. I can track it down if you want to borrow it.
Thx, @emac --might take you up on that, but I'm not quite at that point yet. Will look it up on Amazon to see if I can fudge it with another tool

Putting seam sealer in each hole is not necessary and will only make a mess. There is actually no need for a seam sealer between the metal and the fiberglass. A self leveling seam sealer should be applied AFTER the two pieces are riveted together.

Also, I recommend drilling out all holes to 5/32" and using 5/32"x3/8" aluminum rivets available at McMaster Carr.

Putting seam sealer in each hole is not necessary and will only make a mess. There is actually no need for a seam sealer between the metal and the fiberglass. A self leveling seam sealer should be applied AFTER the two pieces are riveted together.

Also, I recommend drilling out all holes to 5/32" and using 5/32"x3/8" aluminum rivets available at McMaster Carr.
Which self-leveling seam sealer do you recommend?
Which tool do you recommend for the rivets?

3m Fast n firm sealer is what I used. Check CCOT website, they have some instructions for installing Rivets. You can get a hand held rivet squeezer on Amazon. I have one, but it is loaned to another Mudder. I can track it down if you want to borrow it.
Do you have a link for the particular hand-held rivet squeezer? Brand?

Which self-leveling seam sealer do you recommend?
Which tool do you recommend for the rivets?

I modified a pair of vice grips to buck aluminum rivets. I've loaned it out to other members. I recommended the SEM set levelin seam sealer, but it requires a special mixing gun to apply. I've also loaned out this tool.

There should be a thread somewhere on here where you can see my work and the tools.

Sorry if this wasn't clear: the link is to the rivets, just trying to confirm these are the recommended item:

Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 2.42.00 PM.png

Sorry if this wasn't clear: the link is to the rivets, just trying to confirm these are the recommended item:

View attachment 1455933

I think those are them.

That doesn't seem grammatically correct, but you know what I mean.

Let me know if you want to borrow my tool.

Wait, that didn't sound right, either...

I modified a pair of vice grips to buck aluminum rivets. I've loaned it out to other members. I recommended the SEM set levelin seam sealer, but it requires a special mixing gun to apply. I've also loaned out this tool.

There should be a thread somewhere on here where you can see my work and the tools.
Could you send a pic or link of the modified vice grips?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom