Spring problems (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I purchased a 1980 fj 40 from a dealer and didn't think I was buying a bunch of crap put together from several different years until getting into it.
The newest project, or should I call it the newest problem, is the springs. I orderd replacement springs from skyjacker. When They arrived they were 2 1/2" wide and the springs on my 1980 fj40 are more like 3" wide.
I double checked fitment and it came up the same part # for my 1980 so I checked part# for 1979 and it was also same #. The reason I checked 1979 is that my 1980 was built in Jan. and would fall in same spring dimensions.
Will the springs work ? Seams like I would need a different spring plate,( perch), if that's what it's called so the springs will fit snug between the U bolts. And will the U bolts over the top of the axle be ok
Has anyone ever ran into this situation when buying skijacker springs ? And if skyjacker sells a lot of 2 1/2" wide springs kits then I wonder where did the wider springs on mine come from. Any help would be appreciated ,thanks

I would contact Skyjacker and make sure they are supposed to measure 3" wide. Original springs on my 1968 are 2 3/4" wide for reference.

I just check them again they are indeed two and three-quarter inches wide . Skyjacker swears that the springs fit a 1980 so the only conclusion I can come to if they are right, is that the Virginia Toyota dealership screwed me again. I bought a 1980 FJ 40 didn't have much time to check it out since I was in Indiana and I bought it in Virginia . Have a local check it out but apparently he didn't know what he was looking for . I don't know how a dealership claiming to know all about Toyotas since it's a Toyota dealership would not know that this had a early who hood with the windshield washer hole in the middle , A different Vin number on the inside of the engine compartment then that was on the door post Now that's all I can think about this time but if this is truly a 1980 frame which the numbers are stamped in the frame and the springs are from another year then so are the axles because the welded on spring perches are set up for a two and three-quarter inch spring . Thanks Virginia Toyota

I better watch out how much I say until after I figure this whole situation out but I know he's already screwed me a couple times .
It's buyer beware all the time but he did know that I wanted a project to restore to original If I was an upright standing Toyota dealership I would've notified the buyer of the mismatch Parts since the buyer said I want to buy a vehicle to restore to original shape all numbers matching , and it's nowhere near what I imagined it should have been . Number one it has a 1987 engine from a 60 – and for me to bring it back to original shape I would have to get an engine from 1980 rebuild it and drop it in . I'm done venting now, back to the issue, the springs I'm going to post a couple of pictures maybe somebody can help me

IMG_0855.JPG

IMG_0856.JPG

What's the frame vin number?
Sounds likely to be a later frame with the wider springs.

Edit.
It's a later frame.
Mid year in 80 they changed to the 2.75 inch wide springs....like they were putting under fj60s.
Just measured my 60s springs....2.75 inch wide.

As I recall when we made spring shackles for the 1980-older FJ40's they were about 2 3/4" wide inside, and our 1981-newer spring shackles were about 3 1/8" wide inside. Also, if I recall when an aftermarket spring manufacturer made a slightly narrower spring they gave spring bushings with a wider shoulder to compensate (this was a more common practice on the Toyota Pickup springs than FJ40 springs though).

From your photos you have the pre '81 style suspension mounts on your truck's frame which uses two bolts on the fixed spring pins. The '81 and later trucks use one bolt on the fixed spring pins. The spring width changed (wider) in '81 as did the diameter (larger) of the spring pins. The springs you have should work on your truck.
HTH,
Will

FWIW, I see some good features, and a bad feature in the photos of your Skyjacker springs:
(1) Good- - -they have tapered leafs.
(2) Good- - -they have anti friction pads, nice and slippery, slide easy.
(3) Good- - -they are loose bound, leafs not pinched into each other, slide easy.
(4) Bad- - -they evidently were painted after they were assembled, no paint between leafs, pure rust pouring out of the leafs.

A couple things I notice from your picture, which I assume are the ones you are replacing.

They look to be in good shape, not flat. Why are you replacing them?

They have anti rattle cushions and bolts on the spring clamps, very good design in my opinion. I have never seen anti rattle cushions there before.

They could be better than the skyjackers you want to replace them with.

Not sure I'd expect any random Toyota dealer to know anything about FJ40s. Used cars on any lot are there to be turned over, Toyota or not. If you just asked a local to check it out I doubt they'd cross check VINs across different locations, I know I wouldn't. I'd be looking for rust and non-OEM parts first and foremost. Where in VA was this?

The full extent of everything a Toyota Dealer knows about a Landcruiser is; "Those are one hell of a tuff vehicle"

reminds me of of a conversation with a young guy at a gas station when I was filling up my 71 240z. He asked me what kind of car it was. I said a 71 240. He said he didnt know they made a 240 way back then. I just smiled. We are getting old.

From your photos you have the pre '81 style suspension mounts on your truck's frame which uses two bolts on the fixed spring pins. The '81 and later trucks use one bolt on the fixed spring pins. The spring width changed (wider) in '81 as did the diameter (larger) of the spring pins. The springs you have should work on your truck.
HTH,
Will

Yep, OME only makes one FJ40 spring, the later type with the larger eye, and supplies adapter bushings for the early type rigs.

Vin # is ( on frame ), 317447 Jan 1980
I sent skyjacker springs back .
To tools R is -Springs on the front are different passenger side shackle points Straight down to the ground . I am probably going to keep some of them but I have a problem somewhere that I have to figure out . As for the anti rattle cushions, I put them in .
The spring on the passenger side front has a different look to it then the other one on the front and the shackle is pointing straight down which makes it for a rougher ride on that wheel . It seems like that one spring on the front is shorter and that is my only problem up front. The rear is A different story. I had to make different size shackles untill I came up with the same 37 1/4 inches off the ground on both sides .The shackle that I made is 2 inches longer on the passenger side then the driver side and I can't have that. The funny part about the whole mess is that it drives soooooooo good. I mean it just flies down the highway no Shimmy, no steering issues, 33 inch tires , no shaking , I can't say enough about how nice the ride is . But, and this is a big butt i'm not going to have a 2 inch longer shack on one side of my vehicle, I hope somebody can help me figure this out . Thanks for all the answers and come back's I do appreciate it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom