Failed Colorado Emissions - NOx - FJ80 1994 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone I've just moved to Denver, Colorado and went to get my 94 FJ80 registered. I had to go get my emissions tested and I failed the NOx by .7 GPM; i read 4.7 the standard is 4.0. I need some advice on whats going on! If i can do a quick fix by running better fuel/ spraying the MAF/ or something else. Other than that i need recommendations. 1. Where are the land cruiser specilists in denver area ( ive heard slee is good in golden). 2. Quick fixes to pass. Thanks.

My dad's 94 4Runner failed a Utah emissions test for the same reason. We just did a quick swap on all the ignition stuff (Cap, rotor, wires, plugs) and cleaned the airflow sensor and she passed the next day. YMMV though.

Maybe take a look at your EGR passages and valve? Cleaning those could give you a little better result.

Ugh. My 94 doesn't even have 100k miles, but I stressed over the emissions check. Only thing that failed the first time was the gas cap. I think ignition components as stated above is a good place to start. I think NOx is higher when you don't have real good combustion of the fuel.

Pulling your plugs and eyeballing all of that, if you haven't done it lately, takes 45 minutes and you can rule out stuff of that nature.

My assumption would be that your engine is old and has some carbon build up or a bad CC. That or a vacuum leak/EGR issue. Slee is in Golden and they are good, but most likely are not going to be able to get you in and out quickly, as they do a lot more 'building' than emissions stuff and have long waits. Worth a call, though. They're known for their work around the world.

My neighbor took his '93 to Japanese Auto Services (303-467-0426) in Wheat Ridge for some fueling issues preventing him from passing emissions and they fixed him up. They're off I-70 and Ward Rd. I had them do a wheel bearing and I would say they are a bit on the expensive side, but very good guys and honest.

Otherwise, emissions are best serviced by an emissions mechanic.

OR...you could yank out your engine and put in an LQ9 like I'm doing. Haha. Good luck!!

Thanks guys.

1. I will run two rounds of quality fuel. 2. I am almost certain that it is a carbon buildup and everything needs to be cleaned.

MDJ: I called slee left a voicemail waiting to hear back. I am in the highlands so ill probably check out JAS if i don't solve the problem or slee doesnt call me back.
ThomasMore66: thanks for the information! I will most certainly read up.

Jesse @ ATLR in wheat ridge is a good option as well. He usually runs 1-2 weeks out. keep in mind you need to go to an "Approved" shop to have any money spent written off against the limit for the waiver.

NOx usually is a problem with the EGR system. If no CEL, I would remove throttle body and clean out w/ throttle body cleaner. it wouldn't hurt to work through the FSM procedure for testing the EGR system either. cap, rotor, plugs, wires and clean the MAF w/ the appropriate cleaner won't hurt either.

Also check out the Rising Sun forum for local tips on how to pass emissions. Treeroot and Ige's favorite recipes include premium, HEET, and running it nice and hot on the highway.

Thanks guys.

1. I will run two rounds of quality fuel. 2. I am almost certain that it is a carbon buildup and everything needs to be cleaned.

MDJ: I called slee left a voicemail waiting to hear back. I am in the highlands so ill probably check out JAS if i don't solve the problem or slee doesnt call me back.
ThomasMore66: thanks for the information! I will most certainly read up.

Sounds like we're really close by. I live off of 38th and Sheridan. I'll be tearing my truck apart soon (motor swap), so if you need anything, let me know. I'll be selling the engine, tranny, emissions stuff, etc... I have new headers and cats that'll be coming off too.

JAS could probably get you in next day, FYI. They're busy, but not Slee busy.

Maybe take a look at your EGR passages and valve? Cleaning those could give you a little better result.

X2
You didn't mention how many miles are on your engine, but if blow by has restricted the EGR passage in your intake manifold, you may have insufficient EGR flow without setting a MIL code.

9 times out of 10 NOx failure can be traced to EGR problems, check the system closely before moving on to other options. Start by applying vacuum to the EGR valve with the engine idling, the engine should either stall or come close to it.

Really sucks that Colorado still give measurements in grams per mile, makes it really tough to run the numbers through a lambda calculator to get a quick measurement on stoich and cat efficiency.

Sounds like we're really close by. I live off of 38th and Sheridan. I'll be tearing my truck apart soon (motor swap), so if you need anything, let me know. I'll be selling the engine, tranny, emissions stuff, etc... I have new headers and cats that'll be coming off too.

JAS could probably get you in next day, FYI. They're busy, but not Slee busy.
Nice dude! i am putting new tires on today and slowly building my rig. I would really like to come check out what your doing and snag some parts!

It is enough to have problems with blow by and fouling. Have you manually tested your EGR? Pull a vacuum on it while the engine is idling. It should stall. If not, it isn't getting enough recycled exhaust gas.

Nice dude! i am putting new tires on today and slowly building my rig. I would really like to come check out what your doing and snag some parts!
Right on!

I should be starting on everything within the next week. Shopping for engines as we speak. Hope things go well with emissions. Let me know if I can help at all.

9 times out of 10 NOx failure can be traced to EGR problems, check the system closely before moving on to other options. Start by applying vacuum to the EGR valve with the engine idling, the engine should either stall or come close to it.

Really sucks that Colorado still give measurements in grams per mile, makes it really tough to run the numbers through a lambda calculator to get a quick measurement on stoich and cat efficiency.
I remember when the readings in grams pre mile all came about, it was when states changed over to the IM240 emission testing method. Before that, test readings were read in percent of CO, and parts per million HC. In fact i still have an old emission tester in my shop that reads in % CO and PPM HC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom