(Almost) OEM Intermittent Wipers for the FJ40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Update! The 1972 and late 1978 test went well. I will test the early 78 this weekend.

Is there anyone reading this with a 1973 FJ40 that can take a pic of their wiper switch and connecting connector? I'm getting some conflicting information about the wiper switch being different from the 1972, but can't figure out how unless 1973 was when they went to the connector being built into the switch instead of metal pins sticking out like the early switches?

Sorry for the long absence. Life gets in the way of what I want to do way too often lately. I finished the revision to the intermittent wiper unit. I added a metal-foil resistor and polyester capacitor to each relay. This RC snubber prevents arcing that could occur whenever the relay opens. The uC side has a resettable fuse, reverse-polarity protection, and a TVS diode for transient voltage protection. The voltage regulator is designed for much larger loads and uses the ground plane as a heatsink so it produces virtually no heat. The 12V side has an 8A fuse and the wiper motor traces were increased to handle a sustained 8A with very little (10ºC) heat rise. According to Coolerman, the wiper motor can pull up to 3.5A under heavy load with a stall current maybe twice that. If you see over 8A, you have a real problem somewhere. I need to take time to modify some of the uC firmware. It works fine, but it takes more of the memory space than I want it to.

There is a two-pin header that I use for testing. With a USB to TTL cable you can see what the uC is doing. The screenshot below shows the ignition switched on, and the wiper switch pulled to slow and quickly back to off twice ~3 seconds apart. This put the wipers in intermittent mode sweeping with a ~3-second interval.

I just assembled one, tested it, and will mail it to Coolerman next week. When I get his feedback, I’ll press ahead with any necessary changes and a final version. I'll try not to disappear again...

IMG_0217.JPG

terminal.png

Looking forward to this - We have been getting rain in CA!

@Coolerman

The pictures you requested. These are from my Jan 73 FJ40. The harness part no is 82210-90324, and interchanges for 7209-7309.

If you need more detail, let me know.

1cbc6ed2-6b5d-4ad8-ad0c-457d4d721713
upload_2017-3-4_20-8-4.png

upload_2017-3-4_20-8-29.png

upload_2017-3-4_20-9-12.png

upload_2017-3-4_20-9-32.png

I'm just swamped with work and exasperated with my two teenagers in high school. Haven't had much brain power left by the end of the day but I'll get back on it soon.
Family first mate! Then some cruiser time!

I'm just swamped with work and exasperated with my two teenagers in high school. Haven't had much brain power left by the end of the day but I'll get back on it soon.
Having had 7 of my own, I certainly understand. I patiently await. - Marc

A prototype of the intermittent wiper is available for someone to test for a month or so. It’s wired for a ’78 or later. It'd be best if someone took it that would use it the most (e.g., someone with a daily driver in the Pacific NW). Coolerman had no issues with his and I don't anticipate any with this one.

The module plugs between the harness and the wiper switch. The only other connections are a GND and 12V supply. The 12V should be something switched off with the key (e.g., the radio) so there is no battery drain. When the wiper switch is momentarily (< 1.25 sec) pulled to SLOW and pushed back to OFF for a single sweep, the module starts a timer. If pulled/pushed again within 15 seconds, the module sets the time elapsed as the desired sweep interval. If you push/pull again before the next sweep while in intermittent mode, that new shorter interval is set. Anytime the switch is pulled longer than 1.25 sec to SLOW or to FAST, the interval is reset.

If you’re interested in using it in your ’78 or later, send me a PM. The wiper switch is not included, of course!

IMG_0306.JPG
IMG_0305.JPG

Dang, PNW here but it's a 77, been watching this forever. I have the one that Coolerman wired for me with the ebay controller but waiting patiently for yours.

I would love to try out a unit. For a wiper switch, I simulated the FJ40 OEM switch wiring into a DPDT Contura switch using Coolerman's wiring diagrams to operate my triple wiper setup. It was difficult, but I finally got it. It still has the hi/off/low position, and my washer is a momentary off/on right next to it, so it would be awesome to have that operate the wipers for a few seconds like you mentioned previously.

So, I don't even need the plugs on the unit, I just need a few inches of wire coming out of each side. Let me know if I'm able to get a naked setup like that.

Thanks!

20151019_153423.jpg

buttons.jpg

Last edited:
I would love to try out a unit. For a wiper switch, I simulated the FJ40 OEM switch wiring into a DPDT Contura switch using Coolerman's wiring diagrams to operate my triple wiper setup. It was difficult, but I finally got it. It still has the hi/off/low position, and my washer is a momentary off/on right next to it, so it would be awesome to have that operate the wipers for a few seconds like you mentioned previously.

So, I don't even need the plugs on the unit, I just need a few inches of wire coming out of each side. Let me know if I'm able to get a naked setup like that.

Thanks!

Damn JetRanger! That ride is looking more like the Space Shuttle every time I see a pic of it! I'm sure you are documenting all that custom wiring with a nice thick manual of schematics. If you ever sell that truck they will need the manual just to start it! :D

Thanks!

Not a problem. I haven't purchased parties for producing more units yet. Waiting to see how the other prototype works out.

Incredible rig you have!

Are there plans for a run of overhead wiper units? I'll take three.

Boy, I'd love to see one of these for my 77 before I slap the dash back in. Installing electric power steering at the moment. More than happy to be a paying guinea pig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom