anyone use 6" PVC pipe as water storage tanks (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice video here

Kurt, oldies are the best! especially when looking at some extra overlanding options

A schrader valve drilled and screwed on top of pipe and one of these might take care of pressure?
CO2 Cartridges are ~$1 on Ebay.

CO2 Bike Tire Filler.jpeg

My plan is on-board shower with a 15' suction hose that can be placed in roadside crick or 5 gallon bucket.
System could also be utilized to clean the vehicle.
I have the Heat Exchanger & Bracket, see thru tubing, and 12V pump. Just have not installed yet.
Should accompany the manifold cooker quite well. Sleep, Eat, Shower....This Cruiser is turning into an RV!

before you decide on the tube diameter, figure out the weight of water cuz it'll be way up there and won't help the CoG while negotiating rough terrain... A 6" tube 6' long will be something like 250 or 300lbs when full of water I would guess. Adds up quick. Up there that would be felt I would think.

before you decide on the tube diameter, figure out the weight of water cuz it'll be way up there and won't help the CoG while negotiating rough terrain... A 6" tube 6' long will be something like 250 or 300lbs when full of water I would guess. Adds up quick. Up there that would be felt I would think.

pi * 0.5 * 0.5 * 6 * 7.5 * 8.3 is approximately 293 lbs. It's amazing how heavy water is.

Huh - what math are you guys using??

6" diameter, 6' long.

pi * r^2 x length = volume (cylinder)

pi * 3 * 3 * 6 * 12 = 2035 cu.inches

2035 * 2.54 * 2.54 * 2.54 = 33360 cm^3 = 33.3 litres. 2.2lb to the kg (one litre of water is 1kg).

So, 33.3 x 2.2 = 74 lbs of water. Are you guys calculating the weight of heavy water ? :)

cheers,
george.

You're right I used 0.5 ft as the radius instead of 0.25 ft.....

pi * (0.25)^2 * 6 * 7.5 * 8.3 = 74 lbs.

Still pretty heavy.

Pfff... real Mudders don't use PVC, we use thick-wall Stainless steel! That's why mine would be 250 lbs!

:D

PVC Tube water tanks are a common accessory used in vehicles down here.

Most are carried in roof racks, are around 6 feet long by 4 inches and carry only 15 liters of water (around 4 gallons).

For that small amount, I'd MUCH rather carry an EPA safe container inside the vehicle. They aren't very hard to carry.

Some of these tanks are pressurized using a Schrader valve, some have in-tank valves others use valved hoses. Either way, IMO, its not the best way to carry water on a vehicle.

I was thinking the same thing as the OP.

I calculated that a 6" tube 6 feet long holds 36 gallon of water. So if you have a full size roof rack or close to it your 20 - 30 gal should be easy. And since we all have onboard air, pressurizing it is easy peasy.

PVC in not UV resistant.. I will become brittle later in is life..pressure then BOOM

Yeah but since it's getting painted (black) UV should be no problem.

PVC Tube water tanks are a common accessory used in vehicles down here.

Most are carried in roof racks, are around 6 feet long by 4 inches and carry only 15 liters of water (around 4 gallons).

For that small amount, I'd MUCH rather carry an EPA safe container inside the vehicle. They aren't very hard to carry.

Some of these tanks are pressurized using a Schrader valve, some have in-tank valves others use valved hoses. Either way, IMO, its not the best way to carry water on a vehicle.

An online calculator I've been using shows that to hold about 8 - 10 Gallons. Depending on wall thickness. Maybe they're not filled all the way for pressurizing?

I was thinking the same thing as the OP.

I calculated that a 6" tube 6 feet long holds 36 gallon of water. So if you have a full size roof rack or close to it your 20 - 30 gal should be easy. And since we all have onboard air, pressurizing it is easy peasy.

Yeah but since it's getting painted (black) UV should be no problem.

More modern math at work... :slap:

It's closer to 9 US gallons... I already did the math for you, about 33.3 litres.

cheers,
george.

That's weird because I put in the numbers and came up with 36. I didn't however add the wall thickness. Revised numbers say 3.2724923474894 foot3

Or 24 Gallons.

Actually it was 24.479942755245382102 :)

Damned if I know why it's wrong though. :meh:

I was blown away when I first got this answer about a year ago. I was expecting around 5-7Gal.

Volume Calculator

That's why the SAE/Imperial system sucks. Even the poms went metric ages ago...

6" diameter = 15.2cm (close enough), radius 7.6cm
6' length = 182cm (close enough)

Area = pi x r^2
Area = 3.14 x (7.6 x 7.6) = 181 sq.cm

Volume of cylinder is A x L

Volume = 181 x 182 = 32000 cc (cubic centimetres) = 33 litres.

US gallon is about 3.8 litres.

So, volume in US gallons = 33 / 3.8 = 8.7 gallons.

No need for any online calculator. This is pretty basic arithmetic...

Even common sense should tell you that a pipe only 6' long and 6" in diameter couldn't be much more than a few gallons - just visualise based on 1 gallon milk jugs...

cheers,
george.

@george_tlc has the right math, or more precisely, the right units.

your math was close enough, but you calculated quarts (closer to liters).

For reference, a Land Cruiser hold about 20 gallons worth of fuel. If a 6"x72" cylinder held 36 gallons, our vehicles would hold a few hundred gallons worth of fuel. and this idea would be widespread. Also, can you imagine the weight of 36 gallons of water held on one side of your roof rack?

Didn't take it that far. I'm still trying to build the slide kitchen and solar panel tilt rack.

Think Homer Simpson's BBQ.

abZGc7B.png

I'll probably wind up with a sink on the roof and a stove that tilts and dumps all the food on the floor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom