What was your deciding factor for the 5.7 Tundra? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ewillis

SILVER Star
Threads
A full size V8 truck is in my near future. My head is spinning with the whole Silverado vs Tundra vs F150 vs blah blah...I would be leaning toward the Tundra for the familiarity of Toyota and what is my perception of Toyota reliability. The Silverado High Country is one beautiful truck though, and can be had with a somewhat economical 5.3 or a beastly 6.2.

The Tundra is pretty dated with a 10 year old platform and the MPGs are pretty poor. Are the Toyota's that much more reliable than the contemporary Chevy's or other domestics? IDK anymore. What was your deciding factor when choosing your 5.7?

I just picked up the 1794 in Black. After seeing the new chevy's and the reviews on the Ram, F150, and Titan, I almost decided to test drive those but I didn't want to make the decision a hard one. The dated Tundra is in fifth place by most so-called experts and the gas mileage sucks. The deciding factor for me was the loyalty and familiarity with Toyota. My wife drives a Landcruiser, we have a Forerunner, and my daily is a 2011 Tundra. My nephew drives my original Foreunner with 450K plus miles on it, my father drives my first Landcrusier a '99 and he has over 400k on it. Toyota makes quality that lasts. I couldn't bring myself to test drive something else. My advice is if you have no loyalty to Toyota, test drive them all and pick the one you like best.

It was an easy choice for me. I'm a Toyota guy through and through. My first truck was a 1986 Toy 4x4, and I've never looked back. We had a 2006 Tacoma Double Cab 4X4 that I loved, but it wasn't up to pulling the 22.5 foot travel trailer we got, so we moved up to a new 2012 Mega Cab Tundra with the 5.7 V8, and it's been a great truck. It only goes on camping trips and ski trips, so it only has 23,000 miles so far. At this rate, it's good for another 30 years!

I am confident the Toyota reliability will come through in the Tundra. We have a '93 80 series with almost 200,000 miles and a Hybrid Highlander with the same, and I plan to drive both of those for at least another 100,000 miles.

For me it was to some degree brand experience but also 1st hand experience with the 2013-14 Chevy Z71 4WD, 6.2 supercab.

My Dad has that truck & has ~60K on it (we have lots of hobby cars so lower miles).

You may think I'm about to bag on Chevy but quite the opposite - that truck has never hiccuped. Granted Dad bought it new, and keeps his stuff nice, but we all have a truck to get used, and he's towed plenty with it.

That motor is far & away a better powerplant than late 90's Vortec - IDK the engine code but it's the aluminum block 6.2 with the top end similar in appearance to my LS3.

I've got experience with the local Yota parts guy, found a solid 5.7 Tundra that was owned by someone I knew, so that helped especially since my driver behind buying a 5.7 was towing a 5K load. The 1FZ just can't do it well, nor stop as I know the Tundra brakes will.

The Tundra may not get great MPG, but it's now a very tuned motor unlikely to see flaws. They made a few before mine. It's got enough HP it can haul my boat, or anything I'll see in the rearview mirror - and if you really want more the Magnuson kit is still there & has support.

Frankly I've got an issue with Ford & what they sell the Ecoboost for, plus that aluminum bed needs a hand if you ever haul steel like myself where sometimes it does land ingloriously from a forklift.

But for new trucks that Chev/GMC has a place in conversation with a Tundra, especially if you should tow something regularly - I really like what Chevy has done after the restructure. They are stepping up.

I even like the interior fit & finish in Dad's truck and a very recent Caddy Escalade I was in - domestic has really realized that it was adapt or die.

My uncle has a ~'13-14 Dodge fullsize, 3/4T he near leaves a camper on, it's gas & has also been good to him, but I'm not versed in Dodge.

I'm just jaded about Ford - but they never have been known as inexpensive horsepower. I like the Raptor, but can appreciate in someone else's driveway.

Also, it's nice jumping in the Tundra & finding all the controls about as they were in the 80 - updated for the new tech & all, but the basics are all the same.

Sadly, the same can be said about Ford. They still are using the same buttons & controls from a 1998 Explorer in the SUV/trucks - nice if you like them, but to me they scream dated.

They don't do this in the Mustang (heck, I like the retro way they did the current gen!), so not sure why in the utility market models.

"The Tundra is pretty dated with a 10 year old platform and the MPGs are pretty poor. Are the Toyota's that much more reliable than the contemporary Chevy's or other domestics? IDK anymore. What was your deciding factor when choosing your 5.7?"

There was never any question for me, I'm a pretty dated Toyota guy thru and thru, but for me it was that gas guzzl'in 5.7 itself. I just had to have it! :beer:

Tundra = old and dated

Me = old and dated

Easy choice

I picked up our '15 DC 5.7 4WD to tow project LCs around and have been super happy with it.

After pulling similar loads (FJ40 on an 18' trailer) with a pals new LS equipped 3/4 ton Chevrolet I definitely prefer the Tundra.

The Tundra is getting about 12.5 mpg loaded while I got around 8 mpg with the Chevrolet. The Tundra has more seat of the pants power, although technically the LS should have 40 more hp (not sure on torque rating)...crazy.

Very happy that the Tundra "won" me over and that I don't need to add a non-Toyota to the fleet.

Now I just have to restrain myself and try not to put a blower on it.

This is a decision only you can make. If you're a Toyota guy 'through and through', then everything else will become a bitching platform.

My son recently purchased a new Silverado 1500 double cab, with the 5.3L. He really likes the truck (other than the short bed - he had an 8' bed before). But the previous truck had the 4.3L V6 and NP35xx 5spd. There is no comparison between the gas mileage. The 5.3L wins hands down. Both towing or not.

I've been looking at the mid-size trucks, and I like the Taco's, but that Colorado/Canyon with the 2.8L Duratec is getting the edge. I just might order up the ZR2 when it comes to market this spring.

A full size V8 truck is in my near future. My head is spinning with the whole Silverado vs Tundra vs F150 vs blah blah...I would be leaning toward the Tundra for the familiarity of Toyota and what is my perception of Toyota reliability. The Silverado High Country is one beautiful truck though, and can be had with a somewhat economical 5.3 or a beastly 6.2.

The Tundra is pretty dated with a 10 year old platform and the MPGs are pretty poor. Are the Toyota's that much more reliable than the contemporary Chevy's or other domestics? IDK anymore. What was your deciding factor when choosing your 5.7?

We have a Tundra (2012 I think) that pulls our work trailer (24ft) daily. It's on the road (TN, NC, SC and FL) 45 weeks a year. No problems.

Why don't you wait for a year or two and see if Toyota will come out with a more fuel efficient competitor against the domestics. After 10 years they've got to be coming out with one soon.

Long time Toyota owner and resale values.

I've had old toyota pickup as a first vehicle and then upgraded to a Tacoma.

I bought a new 2011 4.6 D.C. Thinking it was enough. Which it is, but the 5.7 has that extra oomph and when towing on the interstate, the 4.6 would hunt for gears. I have a 2014 5.7 Crewmax now and it's a beast. I leveled it with bilstein 5100's and 2" rear shackles and it rides like a dream, with no power issues with bigger tires, where as when I put 34s on the 4.6, you noticed.

Resale value on my 2014 is pretty high, I just got it appraised at Carmax with 31k miles for $31k dollars. So it only depreciated $4000

Excellent power is one thing, but I am surprised no one has mentioned the tundras off road prowess. A tundra walks away from ford Chevy Dodge etc. the second you leave the pavement. If you spent a lot of time off road, as I do, the build quality of the tundra also shines. 50,000 miles of washboard gravel roads and the tundra will still be tight as a drum, while things will be falling off of the Dodge and the Ford will be rattling so bad you won't be able to hear yourself think.

Excellent power is one thing, but I am surprised no one has mentioned the tundras off road prowess. A tundra walks away from ford Chevy Dodge etc. the second you leave the pavement. If you spent a lot of time off road, as I do, the build quality of the tundra also shines. 50,000 miles of washboard gravel roads and the tundra will still be tight as a drum, while things will be falling off of the Dodge and the Ford will be rattling so bad you won't be able to hear yourself think.

You are absolutely right! I haven't taken my Crewmax off road, but my 2011 D.C. Was an absolute beast with toyo at's in 34's. It never gave me any issues taking it through whatever and even after the fact when pressure washing, my buddies new Silverado radio and headlights stopped working so we had to have him drive between us to get him home. Could of been a fluke, but I never had any mechanical or electrical issues after going off road. Also, he had to do a significant lift to get tires to fit under those square fenderwells that Chevy is so fond of.

Are we talking new or used? New they all have reliability. Used the Tundra quickly stands out. Unless you tow/carry heavy load regularly, the other than 5.7 will do the job just fine. Yeah not the power but on a slippery surface that could be a great thing.
The Tundra is on the same platform that they had in 07 but you know they did it right. And the others have been redesigned twice and still haven't done as good a job. Who cares the knobs aren't the latest fashion items? I bet none of you guys are fashionistas. Or maybe you are. Different is different. not better. Sometimes it is but since WWII, american mfg have convinced buyers that the newest redesign is the greatest and then they do it all over again when there is a newer design and that wonderful new design is now crappola.

Ditto to just about everything that's already been said... I posted something on Tundratalk.net about this experience a few months ago. I had a 2009 Tacoma Double Cab and loved it. Except, We're a family of four that does Sh..stuff, tow a boat during the summer months, and always find various other reasons a bigger truck is a better fit. Even though our last 4 vehicles were all Toyotas I promised myself I would give a chance to all the other truck trucks. My father and Brother both have Fords and love them. ZERO Issues! (2007 5.3L (I think) with 230K miles and a 2012 5.0L with 95K miles) My word of advice if you're considering a F150... Based on my own research, family opinion and talking to someone i know who works at a Ford dealership, if you want to stay out of the service bay, buy the V8. Don't touch the ecoboost.

My list of musts were pretty simple. V8, CrewCab, sunroof (my tacoma didn't have one and that bugged the crap out of me for some reason)

Anyways, I drove a Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Nissan and Toyota. Reading other reviews makes me think the Chevy may have had problems. I made it about 1.5 miles before I knew it was not the truck for me. (Thing must have shifted 800 times in the first mile trying to figure out what gear to be in, did not respond well to pressing of the accelerator, (felt delayed), seemingly more buttons than a space shuttle and at the end of the day had a little yellow bowtie on the front of it). The Ford was nice, drove well, had all the creature comforts you would want and looked pretty sharp on the inside. Nissan was "OK" but I didn't care for the interior, and the unproven platform in regards to reliability and the regular half ton version looks silly to me. The larger XD looks OK but the smaller truck with that front end doesn't appeal to me at all. The Dodge drove the best of any truck I have ever been in. Not even close to be honest. I liked most everything about it. Honestly, it was online research that was the only factor that kept me out of a Dodge. Too many folks with transmission issues. (Certainly not like everyone who owns one has problems but enough chatter to make you think twice).

At the end of the day, I wanted something that had all of the same mechanical problems as my tacoma. Which of course was NONE. A truck by the way that sold for $18K with 120K. (Another reason to stay with toyota?!) There are a few grievences. Can't get a 6 ft bed. The rear seats don't hide any useful storage. The gas tank is too small (mine is a 2014 with a 26 gal tank). The snap in bad-liner is total crap. will be removing this at some point making a snowmobile groomer/drag out of it at some point and spraying one in. That's it though. Everything else is as it should be. I got lucky and found a 2014 with only 20K on the clock for about $20K less than it would have been new. Old timer was moving on from the crappy MPG. (I'm convinced Toyota will never make my perfect truck)

What's good about it and why I said ditto at he beginning of this post? Most everyone has already mentioned everything I've already said. I'll pay an extra $20-$30 a month in fuel (based on the amount of driving I do) to drive a Tundra over all the rest when it comes to fuel economy. It's a premium you pay to stay out of Toyota's garage. I have a great deal of comfort knowing that I have virtually the same engine as folks from the last 10 years. An engine that has had been reported to have little to know major issues. Should also make it easy to get parts down the road when this truck has 200K miles and I need something... should be enough stock in the local salvage yard... then again, maybe they'll all be on the road... Oh and the sunroof. yeah it's got one. But you've got to get the limited package to have it. Problem is, I don't care for or need ANYTHING else that comes with the limited (leather, dual climate control, chrome up the wazoo). So, it was an expensive sunroof.

I just picked up a 2007 Dual Cab SR5 with tow package last week so I could tow my FJ60 around (after regearing it is a little too slow for highway driving!). Got a great deal on it because it had body damage and 289k miles. Was comfortable diving in even with the high mileage due to the reliability I'm accustomed to with my other Toyotas, it also had a solid and documented maintenance record. With the tow package it's got about 10k towing capacity.

We'll see how it goes, but I'm optimistic it will be a good truck....

As bought...

IMG_4021.JPG

After pulling bashed up brush guard and nerf bars off...

IMG_4024.JPG

Polished headlights, cleaned engine, and went through all fluids and safety stuff...

IMG_4031.JPG

IMG_4044.JPG

Tundra is a work in progress, but at least I don't have to see my FJ Cruiser like this anymore!

IMG_4005.JPG

Well I just joined the Tundra group and had for a month now. I don't regret my purchase! Deciding features for me was it's a proven platform that I've been able to compare side by side. My buddy owns a 2009ish Tundra , if I'm not mistaken, I drive a 2010 Ford for work, and lucky enough a Chevy is driven by my cousin. All these vehicles have had only one owner. My work truck has been in the shop multiple times and the worst going to my cousin where the tranny had to be replaced. My buddies Tundra, which he wheels and mom takes the kids to school everyday, has yet to go to the shop for major repairs. That was the major selling point for me. You also can't go wrong with how well the Toyotas keep their value. As far as the old fashioned, older platform.......dang that just means I'm a old fashion kind of guy.

IMG_5415.JPG

Also thinking of buying a Tundra 5.7 ! for me a long time Toyota fan.
''Same platform'' Landcruiser was built from 1950 to 1984 fj40 and bj40 models. So if something works then why change it ?
'' Other trucks'' I looked at others and really didn't like surprise maintenance Dodge later model trucks, Ford, and Chev.
for me If I'm spending hard earned cash I want something thats not high maintenance but more like a Timex ( Toyota )
My serious other interest is a diesel 4x4 5 speed Dodge Ram 1989 to 1993 but then again the front ends were not designed well enough but will haul and be somewhat dependable.
I will expect that the Tundra has Toyota ''Reliability'' built in with low maintenance compared to the competition.
When it comes down to it will I be pinning for a Tundra if I drive a Ram or will I be happy with the $20,000 I shell out for the Tundra and not look back ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom