Who uses a stand-alone tent? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a soft top 40 with no roof racks and I'm unlikely to ever add them. This means no roof top tent.

I use a standalone tent and I chose one with an old school vibe - one of those "bell" tents.

20161117_072821_zpsanbuxqoa.jpg

Of course that's only when I take a significant other with me. Any other time I either just do this (swag under the stars):

20170317_073224_zpso1otinrl.jpg

or in mosquito country sometimes I'll do this (net tent pitched under a canvas tarp):

_DSC0205_zpsuqp7rwqc.jpg

Or this (hammock and japara tarp):

20161224_172921_zpsatj2kydo.jpg

What standalone tents or shelters do you use?

Last edited:
Big silver tarp for sun/rain.

Tent for camping. Various styles from the old canvas type from years and years ago, to more modern A-frame style and in recent years various dome tents (more room, better in strong wind or strong rain).

camp1.jpg

camp1.jpg

trip1b.jpg

campmm.jpg

thelma2.jpg

aug2k10b.jpg

etc :)

cheers,
george.

Nice one George. Thanks for posting the pics!

Loving the old wall tent you have there. Was it nylon or cotton japara?

George, you're in Cali now?

I got a smokin deal on a trek canvas 12x9 cabin tent last summer. still haven't got to use it:mad:...all work and no play...gunna hafta fix that here in a couple more weeks...pics will follow

Depends on time of year, weather and if the wifey comes along.

Me along and nice time of year and weather - on the roof the roof rack, with dogs in the 60

Cold with just dogs and me, I use my 30+ year old REI Dome2

When wife comes along, I have an REI Basecamp 4

093.JPG
110.JPG

The A-Frame is an old abandoned USFS facility in the Sequoia NF I have stayed under for many years. It sure is nice when it rains and snows!

Last edited:
Nice one George. Thanks for posting the pics!

Loving the old wall tent you have there. Was it nylon or cotton japara?

It's a nylon tent in the pics. When I was a kid my parents had a cotton japara tent which was somewhat water proof... Then migrated to a heavy canvas tent (heavy is an understatement!). Then when I was first heading out bush with my mate we got into the nylon fabrics and the wall tent style was king then.

Now it's hard to beat a decent dome tent, so easy to deploy with minor staking and minimal guys unless it's blowing hard. I love that the domes can be moved easily while erect by just pulling out the stakes, easy to clean as well if left erect and just tipped sideways.

Can also be setup on hard surface :)

house.jpg

Never seen the fascination for a rooftop tent, can't imagine climbing up/down in the middle of the night - that first step is a long one :) Besides in a swb and the trips I do, the roof is needed to store food, fuel etc. It's also nice to set up camp and then one can drive away easily and come back to home sweet home. If it is raining we set up the tarp which is pretty quick and then the tent can share some cover. We then cook off the tailgate and the vehicle, tarp and tent become one extended cover. Works great if camped and a few days of rain have set in.

Yeah, the REI dome/basecamp etc are pretty decent. A closeout dome4 was the best tent I ever had (REALLY water proof) until the main zip finally died. I have a big agnes 4 person dome now (the yellow one in the pics), seems to be a fantastic tent as well, will see how it handles a real storm eventually. 4 person domes are great with 2 people, plenty of room for bring in some gear during stormy weather.

And yes, I'm in Cali, have been here for nearly 30 years (but get back to the oz bush every year or so for a fix of red dirt/dust...)

cheers,
george.

I use everything from a backpacking tent all the way up to a hugeass cabela's dome tent ("The Discodome"). Depending on who is there and what we're doing. Not into the whole RTT thing either.

:meh:

If I were to get a ground tent it would have to be the Oztent RV-2

We use a little bit of everything, depending on situation

Small "two" person tent if I'm alone.
Decent little "four" person with vestibule me n the missus used for years.
Bigger "six" person dome and vestibule monster tent now thanks to the kids.
Free access to a tent trailer when we feel like taking it easy, or its looking like there will be heavy rain.

Only way i see a RTT in the future Is MAYBE if there ends up being a little offroad trailer being built one day. I like being able to leave camp behind for the day in most cases.

I use a few different tents as well. Solo I usually sleep in the back of the 80 but recently bought a single person swag tent, which I haven't used yet. I also have my single person backpacking tent that gets used when I solo camp for multiple days in the same location. When the wife is tagging along we use a Marmot 3 person tent.
I have also just been lazy and slept in my hammock.

25 years ago, we ordered a tent from llbean without carefully reading the size. It was a huge 12' x 12' dome - and we have used that size tent ever since! It has room! You can stand up, move around, room for tons of people. We have flown it to Kauai a dozen times - on rainy days four adults can sit inside with a table and play cards - no problem. We have other sized tents - a Sierra Design 9' x 9' - but it feels a little small!

If you have the coin and not using it as a backpacking tent the Shiftpod is another valid option.. https://shiftpods.com if I still lived in California I would have gotten on

Have a couple of Eureka tents. A Timberline 6 Outfitter and a twister 6. Unfortunately not many pics. I don't have any using the Timberline but some of the Twister 6.

I also have a canvas Duluth Campfire tent, it is like a Baker tent. Frost River makes the Duluth campfire tent now. I have the four person with the pole package and end cover with stove pipe hole. You can configure it a bunch of different ways depending on needs and conditions etc. No pics using it either but you can see how it can be set up and what it looks like on Frost River website; https://www.frostriver.com/shop/canoe-camp/campfire-tent/

We have some old canvas scout tents that are like a floor-less tepee. Haven't used those since I was a teenager. It's been a while.

The Twister 6 and my brother's Coleman tent in the pics as well.

Hunting Island 035.jpg
Hunting Island 037.jpg
Hunting Island, SC April 2010 043.jpg

I have never seen that A-frame in Sequoia. Is it near the Southern part?
Depends on time of year, weather and if the wifey comes along.

Me along and nice time of year and weather - on the roof the roof rack, with dogs in the 60

Cold with just dogs and me, I use my 30+ year old REI Dome2

When wife comes along, I have an REI Basecamp 4

View attachment 1445175 View attachment 1445176

The A-Frame is an old abandoned USFS facility in the Sequoia NF I have stayed under for many years. It sure is nice when it rains and snows!

Picked this up off of craigslist for $50. 10x14 or something like that. A absolute bit$# to put up but once up very spacious. I have 4 kids and we car camp mostly so we also have a 12x12 dome tent for the kids. Both are Coleman.

FB_IMG_1479933984424.jpg

I also have a cot tent I use sometimes when just me. I put a foxwing style awning on the truck this year and plan on sleeping under it in the cot tent in June.

71Zv0-qvpdL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

If you have the coin and not using it as a backpacking tent the Shiftpod is another valid option.. https://shiftpods.com if I still lived in California I would have gotten on

That shiftpod is very cool and insulated. 12x12 and 1 minute setup. 60 lbs, half the weight of most RTT.

I was thinking of getting an RTT but the shiftpod is better.

That shiftpod is very cool and insulated. 12x12 and 1 minute setup. 60 lbs, half the weight of most RTT.

I was thinking of getting an RTT but the shiftpod is better.

And has HVAC ports!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom