The Ultimate BBQ Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Me too! Looks delicious. What grill are you using?

Primo XL 400

33000671426_c245cbf8da_z.jpg

The day after St.Patricks Day is the perfect day to buy super cheap corned beef. So this year I smoked a couple flat brisket corned beefs with a coriander, black pepper, paprika Dijon mustard rub, after soaking them in fresh water for an hour. Turned out delicious. We are one still warm after an hour of resting. The other is I the fridge ready to be sliced.

33397840062_e12c8b0202_b.jpg

33195524660_d8978977b3_z.jpg

5220763bbe49ebf137740d3808909290.jpg

baeb4b95f1d609bc6b96a206abb2965f.jpg

Last edited:
Got to admit, cruisers and barbecue are my favorite hobbies. Who could ask for more then to get to enjoy these things!!

Scored a used Gatorpit Predator smoker about 3 weeks ago in Denver. Tried it with tri tip with a chimichurri sauce sunday. Also cooked some ribs for the family. Once I bring some pecan and Oak from Oklahoma next week then its cooking time!

Always wanted a good stick burner! Unfortunately we don't have the access to good smoking wood here in NW Colorado so I have had to rely on my Cookshack FEC 100 which I highly recommend for anyone looking!! Green Egg also is a fine cooking tool!

Got to admit, cruisers and barbecue are my favorite hobbies. Who could ask for more then to get to enjoy these things!!

Scored a used Gatorpit Predator smoker about 3 weeks ago in Denver. Tried it with tri tip with a chimichurri sauce sunday. Also cooked some ribs for the family. Once I bring some pecan and Oak from Oklahoma next week then its cooking time!

Congrats! This thread needs some love. I'm going to attempt a full brisket soon on my Primo. Just ordered a DigiQ and a nice brisket knife so I can smoke it while I sleep and slice it better this time.

Congrats! This thread needs some love. I'm going to attempt a full brisket soon on my Primo. Just ordered a DigiQ and a nice brisket knife so I can smoke it while I sleep and slice it better this time.

I will definitely throw some its way. I love cooking me some Q!! After several years i broke down and purchased the Maverick thermometer. I used a buddy of mines when we cooked a whole hog on the outdoor brick pit last month. These thermometers are wonderful. Just cooked a brisket all night last week with the receiver by my bedside. I also invested in a thermopen which can determine meat temp in 2-3 seconds limiting how long you keep the doors open.

I will definitely throw some its way. I love cooking me some Q!! After several years i broke down and purchased the Maverick thermometer. I used a buddy of mines when we cooked a whole hog on the outdoor brick pit last month. These thermometers are wonderful. Just cooked a brisket all night last week with the receiver by my bedside. I also invested in a thermopen which can determine meat temp in 2-3 seconds limiting how long you keep the doors open.

Gotta love the goodies! I need to unsubscribe from Thermoworks' emails. We have a thermopop, pen, and two chef alarms, now also the DigiQ, and of course a laser thermometer.

I just got my DigiQ today. Time to take on the holy grail of bbq and try to make a whole brisket and turn half into burnt ends and half into brisket sandwiches. Wondering if I should separate them before grilling, around the stall temp (what I do for bone-in pork shoulder in order to use half for pork burnt ends), or when the flat brisket holds in the cooler.

Gotta love the goodies! I need to unsubscribe from Thermoworks' emails. We have a thermopop, pen, and two chef alarms, now also the DigiQ, and of course a laser thermometer.

I just got my DigiQ today. Time to take on the holy grail of bbq and try to make a whole brisket and turn half into burnt ends and half into brisket sandwiches. Wondering if I should separate them before grilling, around the stall temp (what I do for bone-in pork shoulder in order to use half for pork burnt ends), or when the flat brisket holds in the cooler.

I'm a fam for the burnt ends when I trim it the brisket for dinner. I always use the cooler and thats when I cut the point off. Sounds good!!!!

Speaking of the ultimate BBQ, I smoked my first whole packer brisket this weekend. 13.7lb Prime grade brisket from Costco. Probably trimmed a few pounds of fat off. I forgot to salt it, but I used Amazingribs.com's big bad beef rub a few hours before putting it on the grill. Smoked it with hickory and applewood for about 17hrs. The new DigiQ kept the grill between 220 and 230F the whole time, including while I slept. The average IT stayed at 196F for a few hours. The bark looked good and it seemed properly wobbly to me so I pulled it, cut off the point, wrapped the flat in foil and held it in a warm cooler for another 2.5hrs. I turned the point into burnt ends, which ended up being the highlight of the meal.

I kept the grill going for a few more hours to render the trimmed fat in my new cast iron pan. Ended up with 2 cups of rendered beef fat and a seasoned pan. Amazing that the grill held more than enough charcoal for a 24hr burn.

Before, which also ended up being my most popular instagram photo ever:
17934082_726482727557248_5420287884768837632_n.jpg

After:

33424163194_890ea369cb_c.jpg

The point:
34225422166_d78621e760_c.jpg

Burnt End-ification process:
34225416106_3cc68dd7d2_c.jpg

The appetizer:
34226631036_ca6647eceb_z.jpg

33455899393_04bc14a886_c.jpg

The main course brisket on polenta. My au jus didn't turn out:
33881974310_1431b44fff_c.jpg

Last edited:
Couple O chickens and a pork shoulder...used the shoulder for some chile Colorado!
2017-04-30 08.48.25.jpg
2017-04-30 16.47.01.jpg

Yum. Interesting grill set up. Are you using a Smokenator?
. Nah... cheap WSM clone I bought about 6 years ago. I've been meaning to upgrade to the wsm but it won't die!

IMG_2277.JPG
I'm an egghead big time and wish I had the DigiQ. However Now that I primarily smoke several things at once I don't use the Egg except for grilling. Good friend of mine though bought the XL after I praised he EGG a couple years ago. He loves the DigiQ and says it works great.

The wife and I leave next Thursday for our 3rd annual Tx Bbq touring event. We go to Bastrop, TX outside of Austin. Stay at the Lost Pines resort and lay by the pool and Lazy river with adult beverages. Before we relax by the pool we drive to the BBQ places. Blacks, Smitty's and Kreutzs in LockHart. Snow's in Lexington where the 78 year Pit aster Tootsie cooks some incredible food. We will hit Coopers in Llano and Muellers in Tayler this year to let our friends experience more Q. The wife loves Coopers!! Damn, drooling a little here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom