How to find a newer 70 and import to NC? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Would love to somehow get my hands on a newer 70 and import it to North Carolina (at a decent cost).

Just curious if anyone has any ideas on how I can find one (left hand drive) and make it happen?

Thanks!

Has to be 25 years or older. There are ways to do it with newer ones supposedly if you want to spend an INSANE amount of money (imagine double the cost of your 200 series for an idea) ....but definitely no way "at a decent cost". Everyone would have them if that was the case.
If you want one look at 1992 and older but otherwise you are better off not wasting your time. For an example of how many people wish they could do this look at the 70 series classifieds and read some of the longest thread ever about someone claiming to be able to do it.

eBay - Not mine, but supposed 2016 Land Cruiser Double Cab Pickup for sale...

There are hundreds FS in Costa Rica and Nicaragua. years importable run around $10K will cost another $2,000 to ship and get into US. I've been shipping trucks out of CR for years.

i live in Australia and im planning to come to the usa around the 22nd of may. if you want a troopy i will happily arrange everything and collect and move the vehicle to simplify getting it over there for you and my only fee for helping by doing all the ground work is that i would like to travel in it untill the start of july then delivier it back to your door. surely we could write up a contract for an exchange like this. it can be driven for a year in the states with international rego from australia so that makes it easy for me to drive it over there.
i currently own a hdj100r and have also owned a hzj80 but im an absolute landcruiser nut and know what im looking at when it comes to purchasing one. lots of australian accessorys pre fitted from the likes of arb and tjm is most likely.

best regards
connor

259.jpg

I live in NC also (we are moving back from Dominican Republic)
We have a 1998 FZJ75, but I can't see any way of getting it over there through the barrage of EPA and DOT regs.
If you end up finding a way, please tell me!
Mike

A year? you can get a temp permit without going through EPA and DOT Regs?

Every vehicle allowed into US is done thru EPA and NHTSA allowances. The HS-7 lists all the means, (check boxes), for importing vehicles into US. There are many more allowanced than the well known 25 year exemption box #1 (which everyone calls incorrectly calls a rule, its a safety compliance exemption) Box #7 is also common option, geneally for 1 year but have heard of as many as 3 years. I've never used it.

As for H-1B on my 1970 Series 2A, it was sort of a joke. Originally the truck was just suppose to be in US for a year of overhaul then sent back south, so didn't want to nationalize. But decided to keep in US, so it was in US for 11.5 months (with CR plates) on work visa..... Now has full US citizenship and right to work and vote :) But, seriously, there is a diplomatic option on HS-7 but I have not and cannot use as I am not a foreign resident.

I don't wanna pester you ta death, but I do wanna express appreciation for your location: People's Republik of Cambridge!
Also, I AM a resident of the Dominican Rep. (not a citizen) and we WILL be taking more trips back here (we are in DR now) ...soooo, do you think it is possible for me to use this diplomatic option???? that is, is it REALISTICALLY gonna be approved, and does it circuit

... does it avoid the EPA AND DOT regs?
Again, there is no avoiding anything, you just have to comply with an allowance. Here is pretty much verbatum verse on allowance boxes 5 and 6.

NONRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES

A vehicle registered in a country other than the United States may be imported for personal use by a non-resident of the United States for a period not to exceed one year. The vehicle cannot be sold while in the United States and must be exported within one year from the date of entry. This period cannot be extended under any circumstances. The importer’s passport number and the name of the country that issued the passport must be supplied on the HS-7 Declaration form. Use Box 5 on the HS-7 Declaration form.

DIPLOMAT OR MEMBER OF AN ORGANIZATION DESIGNATED UNDER THE INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATIONS IMMUNITIES ACT

A vehicle may be imported for personal use during the importer’s tour of duty. The vehicle must be registered with the Office of Foreign Missions of the State Department and a copy of the importer’s official orders must be attached to the HS-7 Declaration form. The vehicle must be exported at the end of the tour of duty unless it is sold to another person who is eligible to import a vehicle under this exception. Use Box 6 on the HS-7 Declaration form.

Again #7 may work as well but dont know you and what your business is in US. Box #1, the older than 25 year allowance, is the easiest; as year of vehicle is on title. If you plan to check any other box I would advise seeking import cousel on its caselaw. The last thing you want is your truck in quarantine with CBP and you don't have a strong case as to why you checked what box.

I am about to purchase a '90 HDJ80, originally from the Canary Islands from Chris Spalding, Chrisspalding on here. He's out of Greensboro, and he has done this multiple times. Hit him up, he is a great guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom