old mountain bike thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Lot of great steel frames still being produced, and not just by custom builders. For instance, 9'r offers the SIR 9 that's a great mix of Reynolds 853 for the frame and 631 for the head tube so tapered forks can be used.

Indecent fabrications (most of the people that work there, use to work for Chris chance in the really old days...

Plus the million builders still the hand made bike show( but sincerelymost of them are just to much freaking money)

Actually the best bike is one that fits you to perfection, make frame builders are really good with frame measuments, but is nothing like a professional fitting, that way you can go and shop for frames...

Then again for most people a bicycle is fine as long as the tires are not flat, pretty much the way a car is for me, I know nothing about them...

Last edited:
IMG_4381.PNG
If you're talking about the sexy dance of the tango with a bike of my past, I shared it with my Klein attitude race. It was exactly like this one (not my pic found it on the net). I put miles on it and rode it hard. The drop out cracked and heartache set in.

View attachment 1390216 If you're talking about the sexy dance of the tango with a bike of my past, I shared it with my Klein attitude race. It was exactly like this one (not my pic found it on the net). I put miles on it and rode it hard. The drop out cracked and heartache set in.
A TREK again not a Klein...

Trying to determine if I should sell some of the old vintage MTBs and buy a new or like new one. I worked at a Bike Shop during College making great money as a mechanic and a trained all of the new guys for a multiple location shop. This allowed me to get a lot small goodies.
My last bike was a Specialized M2 Comp in a unique color, Titanium stem, Chris king head set, Syncros cranks/seat post and all of the other little things to make it Specialized. I am wondering if there is any value to this bike? The Cannondale in the background is also one of vintage frames. It was built as a general around town cruiser after it was retired from racing.

Pardon the photos the bikes are hanging in my basement that was built in 1831
IMG_6891.JPG
IMG_6892.JPG
IMG_6893.JPG

So Heavy, But So cool..

Love Syncros...

Best "Focus group" ever, Interbike (1996) took them out ten minutes after the Canadian nerds install them on all the bathrooms and give them a fine too.. (Fuc%ers)
IMG_8610-XL.jpg

I love old school!! 2000 Schwinn Straight 8, my 1st and favorite platform of all the bikes I've had!

Mert Lawwill, the master mind behind one of the greatest suspension designs on earth!

Finally got my old '90 Salsa custom hand-built dusted off a little ...

IMG_0781.jpg

Yummers....

Plus Magura road bike levers, awesome power, zero troubles

The Magura hydro brakes are the schnizzel! But then small disks took over ...

The Magura hydro brakes are the schnizzel! But then small disks took over ...
Cross = mud > maybe

But then Ross will have a heart attach, just kidding he is s total motorcycle dude...

Have you ever try water, WATER on your magura's ....???

I know, I know water boils but the lever action is amazing. Old bike trials trick..

My 2000 Cannondale F1000SL

After years of suggesting that the :princess: get a bike so that she could ride with me and our son, she finally capitulated. Found her a 1998 S-Works, almost completely stock. Spent seven hours on Saturday tearing it down completely rebuilding/tuning, and replacing worn parts. The bike is 22 pounds fully loaded. It was their top-of-the-line ride, and retailed for $2,100 back in the day...picked it up for $300.

Went out on Mother's day for a nice 10 mile ride on one of the trails in a state park nearby.

full

We dubbed the bike "The Grinch Mobile" due to the color combination, and I got her a Grinch mojo to hang off of the cables.

I had to pick up my truck in town and the wife is out of town, so I bought some tires and tubes, dusted off the mountain bike and had an adventure. I bought it in 86 or 87 and haven't ridden it since 96. Town is 12 miles away, piece of cake! Not bad for a 64 year old grandpa. It's a Diamond Back Arrival. Check out the wild speckle paint.

IMG_3187.JPG

IMG_3188.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom