long-ish trip - thoughts on my spare parts / tools / gear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DirtScaresMe

Trouble Maker
Threads
Website
facebook.com
I've got a 1994 FZJ-80. My buddy and I are doing the Mojave Road. It's ~140 miles off road from the Colorado River to Barstow, CA. I've heard 3 days is a good amount of time.

Driving ~400 miles to get to the start and ~300 miles back.

Tools:
  • Good selection of sockets / wrenches, even my electric impact driver. Hub/spark plug/lug sockets.
  • Screwdrivers, pickle forks, multimeter, FSM, front end tools, chain wrench, propane torch (matches the propane for the camping stove), pry bars.
  • Vice grips, pliers, channel locks, dykes, massive pipe/crescent/adjustable wrench.
  • Ballpeen and BFH 3lb hammer.
  • Tire patch kit (ARB).
Parts:
  • Old wheel and trunion bearings and races.
  • Full size spare.
  • Full set of belts.
  • Ignition coil.
  • 2 spark plugs, one wire (longest).
  • Fuses.
  • Few feet of 10 gauge wire.
  • Few feet of 3.5mm(?) vacuum hose.
  • Duck tape.
  • Some hose clamps.
  • Zip ties.
  • Bailing wire.
  • RTV.
  • Oil filter.
  • Grease (1 tube), oil (2qt), aerokroil, wd40, radiator stop leak, slime tire stuff.
Recovery-esque:
  • One crappy 2"x30' metal-hooked strap.
  • One nice 4"x30' strap.
  • Big orange traction plate things.
  • 3/4" schackles.
  • Pretty decent 12v compressor.
  • Jumper cables.
  • Spare jump battery thing. Might ditch since going with a friend, my battery is brand new, and it has a crappy compressor.
  • 15 gallons of spare gas.
  • 25 gallons of water (me+2 kids).
  • CB radio.

I think that's the list; I could be forgetting some stuff. Anything that's pretty obvious I'm missing or that you guys would recommend? I'm trying to be pretty careful to watch my levels and any noises/issues that I hear driving around in the mean time.

Last edited:
I'd ditch the slime tire stuff. It's really for tiny punctures if anything. This is what your ARB kit is for. Plus, once the inside tire is coated with schmoo and crap, it becomes incredibly difficult to patch properly or even balance. Your tire technician will hate you.

RTV seems useful. I've heard wonders about Toyota's FIPG- even some BMW and Merc techs have said they've not seen anything better. It's small, might as well carry some if you need to re-seal a pan. Might add JB weld to that list- good for quick fixes on numerous things.

As far as straps go, make a note of their intended functions and applications. "Snatch Straps" or "kinetic recovery ropes" are designed for a bit of stretch. This reduces strain on the recovery points and equipment. It's useful in applications in which the recovery vehicle cannot pull you out on traction alone.
Winchline extensions and straps are NOT suitable for shock loading (as in a snatch strap or kinetic extraction) and can destroy the equipment. Use them for winching. Pay attention to breaking strengths and working load limits, noting that working limit should be half of the breaking strength. I.E. a strap with a breaking strength of 20,000lbs is only good for a 10,000lb load day in and day out.

15 gallons of spare petrol seems excessive. I've done White Rim and Potash Rd (170ish miles between fillups) in high gear on a little more than half a tank. If you're grinding it in low gear for all 140 miles, you might need a full tank.

CB is good for vehicle comms, but don't expect to reach anyone more than 2 miles out.

The Mojave Road is not all that hard, for the most part. It is not particularly rough. Soda Lake can get wet and becomes a quagmire. Even when most of the lake bed is dry, there are several "washes" that the route crosses that can be muddy. Wait at the edge of the lake bed and look for dust trails from other vehicles, that indicates the route is dry....or ask somebody you pass going the opposite direction about the conditions

Then the Afton Canyon section is sandy, and when the sand is bone dry, becomes deep. So air down before you hit the wash. There are a couple places to "exit" the road and get basic supplies. Get Dennis Casebier's Mojave Road Guide, and you'll have a great guide book.

That said, if you are not sure about the lake bed surface, have one guy head out within winch distance and the surface.

I'd ditch the slime tire stuff. It's really for tiny punctures if anything. This is what your ARB kit is for. Plus, once the inside tire is coated with schmoo and crap, it becomes incredibly difficult to patch properly or even balance. Your tire technician will hate you.

very true on both, we wont even repair a tire if it has slime or some sort of equivalent and its really only good for a small hole such as a nail puncture. I would trade that out for a plug kit, you can plug for a quick repair and patch later for a permanent repair.

I would add a gallon or two of your favorite engine coolant.

If you're gonna carry a spare oil filter, throw in a quart, or two, of oil while you're at it.

Post up when your trip is complete? I'd love to see a post-trip review of what you did and didn't need as well as what you wish you'd brought.
Thanks!

If you're gonna carry a spare oil filter, throw in a quart, or two, of oil while you're at it.

It's on my list above; I should start a 20 page thread on what's the best kind of oil to bring. :rofl:

Post up when your trip is complete? I'd love to see a post-trip review of what you did and didn't need as well as what you wish you'd brought.
Thanks!

Will do. I'm leaving in two weeks or so with a few items that are getting installed between now and then. I'm sure I'm overdoing it with tools. I spent years of my life sailing in far flung destinations so I'm from a culture of ridiculous over preparation. Unfortunately I know a lot more about sailboats and diesel engines than I do cars and gas, so I'm still a little antsy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom