Gear Wrench (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

iptman

SILVER Star
Threads
Has anyone here tried or currently use the Gear Wrench XP 120 wrenches? I'm thinking about picking up a full set of the flex heads to replace my craptastic Craftsman "ratcheting" open ended wrenches which are next to useless. I'd love to hear some opinions. I saw in the 80 section the Redline guys are using them but didn't want to hijack their thread.

I don't have the flex head style, but i have the Gear Wrench regular set and they are excellent. Smooth, compact and very reliable. I can imagine the flex heads follow suit.

I have the 7mm-25mm wrench set, and a full set of impact sockets from them. They're not snapon, but I can't imagine I'd ever need more.

I'd sport gear wrench in a heart beat.

Has anyone here tried or currently use the Gear Wrench XP 120 wrenches? I'm thinking about picking up a full set of the flex heads to replace my craptastic Craftsman "ratcheting" open ended wrenches which are next to useless. I'd love to hear some opinions. I saw in the 80 section the Redline guys are using them but didn't want to hijack their thread.

I have the flex heads in both metric and SAE , some of the finest wrenches I have ever used.

I have the flex heads in both metric and SAE , some of the finest wrenches I have ever used.

Do you have the Universal Spline closed end?

GearWrench-ratcheting-wrench-solo.jpg

No, just looking to see what folks are using. On Redline's 80 build thread I saw they had one of these universal spline wrenches so curious if anyone had feedback on them.

The only thing I don't like about the fixed direction wrenches is that you have to turn them around instead of flipping a switch. It's like plugging in a USB port. There's only 2 ways to flip it, but it takes 3 tries =D

They also don't have the angle built into the wrench which makes working in tight spots much easier

88f4f2890697898a377b6146f1acae6e_-three-tries-usb-cable-meme-usb_625-416[1].jpeg

I recently got into trouble using my Gear Wrench in tight quarters.

I was backing out a bolt with very little room to maneuver. Had the bolt 'almost' removed but not quite. Well, the bolt was backed up to another part of the engine...could not back it out any more and because you had to flip the wrench to change directions, I couldn't go forward or backwards. Took a bit of finagling but I finally got it out.

For me at least...this a good reason to buy the type with a flip switch.

The spline drive one's grip fasteners really well. They'll pull off nuts that a Snap On 6 point has partially rounded. The problem with them is they grip really well. If you really tighten something down with them it can take a small prybar to get them back off.

I have a metric set of the universal spline closed end. I use a regular wrench to "Break" the bolt/nut and then use the ratchet to speed things up. The universal started to round off some bolt heads before they broke free. I like them for the novelty and maybe I will use them more as the years progress. YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom