Annual Ouray camping trip Aug 2 - 6th, 2017 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
It's time to head up to Ouray again folks. Like previous years, the plan is to base camp out of 4J+j+1 CG based on the dates shown in the title. This is a family/dog friendly (dogs on leash inside the CG) event and everyone is welcome. You MUST have a 4x4 with low range capability. Even though most of the trails are Subaru friendly, the steepness require the use of a low range gearbox. For the first timers, please read this long post and let us know if you have any questions! If you have a dog that barks incessantly, please consider leaving him/her at home with a sitter!

Campground owner's name is Jill and she's very nice on the phone. They don't have a website so you'll need to call and reserve sites. We'll be paying $24/night with no hookups or water. Pets are allowed at this CG so we'll be bringing Riley the Border Collie with us. This CG is walking distance from downtown Ouray and has the usual amenities. The Ouray swimming pool that's fed by the hot springs is also nearby. In the past, we'd let the kids swim after returning from a trail run.

We'll be airing down at the trailhead and possibly airing back up at the exit of the trail if we have to drive on the hwy back to Ouray. If we exit the trails near Ouray, then we simply roll into the campground w/o airing back up. Regardless, an compressor or a CO2 bottle will come in handy for airing up duties. A recovery gear bag is also a nice thing to have (straps, gloves, etc).

The temps should be decent in the daytime and colder at night time. If we're on a trail and the clouds move in, we'll probably need to re-evaluate at that time. I don't want to be on the shelf roads at high elevations while visibility slowly diminishes. Lots of accidents happened this way in the past.

As usual, our trail comms will be HAM 2M radios.

I usually reserve site #8 hill side. All hillside tent spots from # 1 - #7 have Elec + Water. Their phone # (970) 325-4418, our contact there has been Jill the owner. This CG can easily handle a giant class A, C and fifth wheel campers. It is a full service camp ground with pull-throughs. The Hillside spots can handle popup up trailers and small hard sided campers, like Scamp/Casita/etc. These spots are large and can easily handle three or four tents so couple of guys can share a site if needed.

If you're looking for a super quiet, serene campground then this isn't it! We use this CG for convenience and centralized location not really for the ambiance. There is a forest service campground not too far away and lots of free primitive camp grounds off of the many trails in the area. The trail to Yankee Boy basin has several free primitive campsites.

See the attached map of the campground, please disregard the names on the camp sites, this is from two years ago.

We'll be camping out of the popup and wheeling my 4Runner on a 2" lift on this trip. Running Imogene with the stocker 4Runner in the past was challenging in places but it made it through. Last year we took Jessica's bone stock 4runner with XREAS suspension and running boards. It did great, with a couple of bumps and bruises on the chassis.

We'll be making day runs on various trails and returning to base camp. Chances are that it may rain up there so bring appropriate camping and clothing gear. You can opt to skip out on trail runs and just hang out in town, go to the hot swimming pool or meander around the town of Ouray.

In the past, we usually ate lunch on the trail and made it back to the camp site for dinner before the kids head to the hot swimming pool next door. The location of this CG makes it easier to eat out or cook in.

There are lots of Hotels, Motels and B&Bs in Ouray. There is also a FS campground less than five miles away, it's called the Amphitheater Campground. Make reservation through www.recreation.gov website.

Post up if you're interested in joining us. The wheeling up there is not severe so a stocker will do just fine. Really, all you need is a low range for some of the super steep hills.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pics from 2013 thread:
Ouray camping/wheeling trip July 24 - 28th, pics start at post #51

Pics from 2014 thread:
Ouray trip Aug 6th - Aug 10th, pics start at post #37

Pics from 2015 thread:
Annual Ouray Trip Aug 5-9 2015, pics start at post #92

Pics from 2016 thread:
Annual Ouray camping trip Aug 3rd - 7th, 2016

Ouray CG site map.jpeg

Site # and name

4 -
6 - Franklins
7 - Justin
8 - Ali
9 - Gundersons
12 - Landcruiser Larry and daughters

Last edited:
4 - Franklin (hoping to move to 6)

7 - Nighbert (there goes the neighborhood)

Last edited:
4 - Franklin (hoping to move to 6)

7 - Nighbert (there goes the neighborhood)

Yeah... that's why your moving closer! Stace will be in tow, or rather I will be in tow with Stace, in her new Taco offroad!

Yeah... that's why your moving closer! Stace will be in tow, or rather I will be in tow with Stace, in her new Taco offroad!

Stace has a new Taco? Do tell, do tell.

oh dang, brand spanking new. Nice!!!

Stace just picked up her Tacoma! It came in Friday and she had to wait all weekend in Phoenix. We made a mad dash from the airport to American in 5pm traffic...

This didn't happen without pics.....

You will just have to show up to Ale Republic on Saturday to find out if I am lying.....

I'll see your fake news allegation... with an outrageous tweet and a "CHINA!"

I approve.

Yo Pappy! coming this time?

Any ideas on trails for this year? I think I would like to try Cinnamon on the TW (I am sure I can do Yankee boy and maybe even the wall) Can we do Ophir and or Last dollar for Stacey? Is anyone willing to take Stacey on an introductory trail to cut her teeth before we start bashing the Tacoma?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom