New to me 2008 GX470 Sport (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been lurking the GX/120 forums for a few weeks and finally decided to pull the trigger on 2008 GX470 Sport with 65K miles. I live in Colorado but flew to Atlanta to pick it up and drove home this week. The GX has a few blemishes on the outside that have been touched up, but the inside looks brand new. I also opted for a platinum 3-year 45K mile warranty.

I already have a full-size SUV (Nissan Armada), but needed something to replace my BMW 330xi (e46) since its way to small for my family. I have 4 kids that are all in Recaro child seats. The GX is my new commuter car and off-roader (mild). I've previously owned Jeeps (4) and looked at LR4's before the GX, but I wanted something dependable.

Issues so far....I just discovered that my manifolds are cracked. I did JBA long tubes and high flow b-pipes with cats and custom Uprev tuning on my Armada, which took me ~14 hours. There aren't a lot of options for the GX. Surprised there isn't someone selling a repair/performance package for the GX/120's. I had a bad blinker, and thanks to the forums I was able to change it in 5-minutes in the auto store parking lot.

I also discovered that my KDSS light isn't turning on when starting the truck. Anyone know where the fuse/relay is to see if it's bad?

I have warped rotors, so I bought new PowerStop rotors and pads while I was on the road home. Hope to install them this weekend if we don't get too much snow. The wheels were stripped and repainted by the dealer.

Very nice ride! Love that sport interior.

Thank God you chose the GX over the LR4! I got one in my shop that I feel like I'm married too because it won't go away.

What are the big plans for the ride??

Welcome aboard!!!! Nice ride :)

What are the big plans for the ride??

Fixing the small issues first, then some paint correction, HIDs, A/T tires, and sliders. I will do more in the future, but I need to keep it mild since my parking garage at work has a low ceiling (I can hit my head on some signs).

Sounds like you bought it at a dealer and you say the interior looks like new.
Fair warning they might have dyed the leather. You do not want to deep clean the leather seats or you will remove all the dye. Even a long hot road trip will remove some of the dye.
You will just want to use leather wipes regularly on the leather if it was dyed. You can best tell if they were dyed by looking at the stitching.

Nice truck!

I recently picked up a black '08 with 50k on the odo and a Platinum warranty as well. I'm having my hood and front bumper repainted this spring. The black onyx paint is smooth as silk, but it amplifies every blemish.

I also had what I thought was warped rotors, but it turned out both front calipers had seized pistons (covered under the warranty). Just throwing that out there. You may want to have a dealer check it out. Mine brakes like a champ now.

Both of my manifolds were also cracked haha. Seems like we have twins. Warranty covered that too.

Congratulations! That is the twin brother of my 2009 GX Sport. I have all of the FSM for the KDSS system downloaded if you need it. PM me if you don't figure out the fuse / no light issue.

Looks good! Ill be interested to hear how you handle carting around gear and 4 kiddos...

I am traveling this week but will post pictures when I get back in town. I can tell you that it is tight compared to the space we have in our Nissan Armada. I wish the GX had the option to remove/fold the middle seat in the 2nd row. Right now I have my oldest two (6yrs/4yrs) sitting in the 3rd row because they can climb over the 2nd-row seat and buckle their seat belts.

I love how smooth and quiet the GX is compared to my Armada, but I love how much power my Armada has. My wife thinks its great that she can smoke me from any speed and with me getting a headstart on her.

I roll in mine with wife and 4 kids. Youngest 2 are 8 now. Used a booster seat in the third row for them so they had better leg position. Not going to fit back there much longer. We have pulled a pop-up camper to both coasts on big road trips. That's where the gear goes.

welcome aboard !

Out of curiosity, how long did you hunt for a KDSS equipped GX before landing this one ? Was it from a Lexus dealer ?

congrats

I have been looking for weeks, I have yet to even see one Sport model listed. Using all the search sites, 500 miles radius, nothing.

Clean ride! Great looking GX you got there. I'm kinda surprised the Armada can pull a GX so solidly. With the 4.7 and 5 speed they aren't exactly slow. I guess the big ole 5.6 just pulls. Enjoy the new rig!

Sounds like you bought it at a dealer and you say the interior looks like new.
Fair warning they might have dyed the leather. You do not want to deep clean the leather seats or you will remove all the dye. Even a long hot road trip will remove some of the dye.
You will just want to use leather wipes regularly on the leather if it was dyed. You can best tell if they were dyed by looking at the stitching.

This is exactly what I got - didn't know it until I drove home (Houston --> Gilbert) and had it for a while.....my seats were "painted" and the coating (which absolutely made the seats appear nice-and-new) can totally come off once you really get to using the vehicle. 96K miles when I bought it, 102K miles now - "it is what it is" :). Doesn't diminish the GX's ability to go anywhere......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom