Bike racks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey guys, what rack do you guys use? Needs to go on the rear of the vehicle not the roof.

Thanks!

Kuat, money well spent. 1UpUSA is also excellent, but I require a setup to carry everything from cyclocross to fatbike a and tray racks work best.

Kuat

Küat.

26 years in the bike industry, and I have yet to find a better rack than the Küat! We ran a V1 Küat NV on the WD40BIKE rig, and did everything they say not to do to the rack... for 3 solid years!... and it kept on trucking! One of the guys had it on his truck, hit some ice and slid off Boulder Canyon Rd, between Boulder & Nederland, and the only thing they could get a tow line on was the rack. Hauled the truck 50' back up to the road, and barely scuffed the paint! True story!!

It's a solid product, and a great company to deal with. Get one. It's money well spent! I'm currently running the NV 2.0, and could not be happier!

Küat or a Yakima - just depends on where we're going. Although I really like the looks of that 1UpUSA.

Agree with the above, tray rack mounted to the hitch is the only way to go.

Kuat, Thule, and Yakima make great tray racks, nothing wrong with them. I will say that I receive a heavy discount from these three brands and have even been given a free tray rack from one of them. What is on my LX is a 1UpUSA that I paid retail for. Best rack I've seen, regardless of price. Especially like how each additional tray sits higher off the ground, a function that has served me well when driving through rough stuff.

I do recommend the black 1Up because I think the silver one looks like a senior citizen's scooter rack.

I do recommend the black 1Up because I think the silver one looks like a senior citizen's scooter rack.

That's funny... I bought the black for that reason (why is the font getting smaller!?!?) - literally paid extra for the "look" of the rack.

In addition to the 1UpUSA being just so damn well made and easy to use, I love that it's expandable. Start with a 2-tray, and another... and another.

I don't know if the others like Kuat (great rack) allow left-right movement... But it's hugely helpful when loading
various (holy $*@# why is the font getting so damn small?!?!) sizes of bike...if a bar is hitting a saddle, or shifter... you can move the bikes left or right to get them perfect.

I'm tempted to keep typing to see if the font keeps getting smaller... and smaller...

photo-2_1.jpg

Another vote for Kuat. I've had other racks from Saris and Yakima but the Kuat is my favorite.

I do hear good things about the 1up too.

IMG_2435.JPG

What I notice: all the ref tray racks are bike/2 wheel mounts. that typically means that the wheels protrude w/r to side of the 100 series (bike wider than body width), with potential issues on trail. Hate to see my bike/rack ripped off in the tight squeeze (they exist, unfortunately).

How about a tray rack minus front tire....say quick release mount to fork, front tire stored someplace on/in rig. That way the overall bike width would fit within body width envelope.

Any body seen this?

I think the pictures make the dimensions look worse than they are. I don't have a bike in front of me, but I think the total length of most mountain bikes is between 72 - 75" versus the 76.4" width of the Landcruiser.

Hm, I guess I should get off my lazy #ss and measure my bike (sp stumpjumper fsr 2006) and compare to the *ss end of my 100.

'course my bike is (now) old school 26". Any one out there with a newer 27.5/slack angle endo bike? If so, what is the horizontal wheel end to wheel end measurement? I will cross post this to the 2 wheel forum as well.

oops, stupid me as this was originally posted in the 100 section, then moved to the 2 wheel section:bang:

Bike length question above is still in play though:beer:

I have a Pivot Mach 429, which is a 29er, and measured it at just over 73 inches from end to end.

Hm, I guess I should get off my lazy #ss and measure my bike (sp stumpjumper fsr 2006) and compare to the *ss end of my 100.

'course my bike is (now) old school 26". Any one out there with a newer 27.5/slack angle endo bike? If so, what is the horizontal wheel end to wheel end measurement? I will cross post this to the 2 wheel forum as well.

oops, stupid me as this was originally posted in the 100 section, then moved to the 2 wheel section:bang:

Bike length question above is still in play though:beer:

Got the Pivot measurement. Thanks!

Verified, the 73" wheel to wheel measurement does in fact fit within the *ss end envelope of the 100 (just barely, by say 2").

Thanks & now can entertain all these racks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom