Mark's Off Road Warehouse Fire Thread (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The past week has been a blur. I've been at the door of the home improvement store every day when they open. Lumber, screws, nails, sheetrock, mud, windows, AC. Had a demo guy come in Tuesday and take down 4 more walls (Daniel and I handled three ourselves) and the hardwood floors out of both bedrooms. Repairing subfloor before applying new sheathing. Installed two new dual glazed windows and removed two old sash windows to replace with wall AC. Pulled out the floor furnace and now have interior access to the sub for plumbing and electrical overhaul (attic is a mess of 5 year old blown insulation)

Work til lunch. Eat, nap, then start on the Landcruiser business. Deja Vu.This is how I started 28 years ago. Outside construction work every morning to suppliment my fledgling business. Pleasantly surprised that I can still pull this off at 55. I've got to get a course of stucco up today before it rains tomorrow.

Progress: IMG_1073.JPG IMG_1074.JPG IMG_1075.JPG

Do you think a 1939 floor furnace is worth anything? IMG_1076.JPG

I almost forgot a shoutout to @kulangot for the tip on the timber-locs and the driver. Very impressed with both.

The Mrs. and I are moving; in the process of packing, consolidating, throwing-away and etc., I found my 1995 Mark's Off Road catalog, 5th anniversary edition:

Rainy day planning.

@tequila4x4 is WAY into repiping the 78 year old house. And of course the water main broke.

Well, I planned for this day. A LONG time ago. The city made me pave the front yard on the property as a condition of my permit to open the business. Being already familiar with the nightmare of replacing water mains, I cast large, removable blocks over both the water main and the sewer line.

It only needed 28 years to need to pull up those blocks. But we had that main line exposed in 10 minutes. 100 percent bitchin.

IMG_1081.JPG

Rainy day planning.

@tequila4x4 is WAY into repiping the 78 year old house. And of course the water main broke.

Well, I planned for this day. A LONG time ago. The city made me pave the front yard on the property as a condition of my permit to open the business. Being already familiar with the nightmare of replacing water mains, I cast large, removable blocks over both the water main and the sewer line.

It only needed 28 years to need to pull up those blocks. But we had that main line exposed in 10 minutes. 100 percent bitchin.

View attachment 1428673

Now, that's planning, Mark!!

I also like the toilet and lavatory!!

When we lived in Brunssum, The Netherlands, all water mains ran under the sidewalks... But, the sidewalks were all square concrete pavers, laid in a bed of sand... No breaking concrete all the time... Kinda like your planning.

Those 78 year old pipes were all used up
IMG_1090.JPG
IMG_1091.JPG

Just posted a thread in chat. Big problem:iPad stolen.

Today was going to be a big day regardless. In a couple of hours my son and I are headed over to the warehouse with the 45 to pick up the final load of parts. Today is the day I hand over the last of my keys and walk away from 37 years of my life. I SO didn't need to have to deal with the theft today.

My whole neighborhood went up in flames a few years back, and it was a serious challenge to recover, from dealing with the insurance company to contractors. It took a while but life eventually returned back to "normal."

Wishing the best for you and your family, Mark.

My whole neighborhood went up in flames a few years back, and it was a serious challenge to recover, from dealing with the insurance company to contractors. It took a while but life eventually returned back to "normal."

Wishing the best for you and your family, Mark.

Thanks for the kind words.

Plugging away. The bathroom walls are all covered and mudded in with rough plaster. Front bedroom fully roughed out. New OSB screwed to the subfloor (IH8SQUEAKS) , R-13 on the exterior walls, screwing in Sheetrock now.
IMG_1119.JPG

Coming along nicely.

You could probably get away with about half the screws you are using on the drywall, and over wood studs it is best to run your drywall with the factory edge going horizontal. It's certainly not a deal breaker though.

It's amazing that you still get water through pipes that are that clogged and corroded.
I guess it is the same as a lot us with our arteries. LOL

Coming along nicely.

You could probably get away with about half the screws you are using on the drywall, and over wood studs it is best to run your drywall with the factory edge going horizontal. It's certainly not a deal breaker though.

It's amazing that you still get water through pipes that are that clogged and corroded.
I guess it is the same as a lot us with our arteries. LOL

Kevin

Thanks for chiming in. I had to set the first two panels that way because I forgot to staple the craft paper taut on the insulation. The rest of the sheetrock got half the screws. As for the orientation, the setting dictates the plan. I had no issue setting the Sheetrock horizontally in the bathroom, but the mix of old and new construction in the front bedroom made for some challenges.
IMG_0016.JPG

More karma.

When I made the deal for this property 29 years ago, I knew the sellers were going to demolish the buildings on the property across the street that I was trading them. I harvested a number of fixtures from those buildings, including the sliding glass doors that I have used on the shop office for the last 28 years.

A couple of days ago I remembered I had a virtually new medicine cabinet stashed above my shop bathroom. Not home quality, but definitely good enough for an office bathroom. And free! Only took 29 years to recycle it!
IMG_1128.JPG

Six weeks, $10,000 and 250 hrs of sweat equity later, and I'd like to think I am at the half way point. Putting the final coat of mud on the bathroom today.
IMG_1129.JPG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom