What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (25 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Lots of good posts on restoring your hard top: what are your plans?
I am torn with doing it my self and having someone do it for me. My big problem is the space to do the work. I do not have a garage I am looking at putting a aluminum over hang on side the house and that would give me a few more options. I am fairly sure I will rivet the gutter on with the aircraft rivet squeezer instead of bonding the gutter to the top i was going back and forth on that one but if I ever had to remove the gutter in the future removing the rivets will be the be the easiest. Plus I need to do some more research on how to gel coat the fiberglass top. And I need to do some more reading on here about the whole process.

Stripped rear ambulance doors, windows, hinges, hardware, in preparation of stripping and repainting. All parts for the top are already done, 2K primed and waiting on paint. Planning a base coat/clear coat finish in original 309 Freeborn Red.

I am getting the photos organized and with comments to post in an organized manner.

So here is my solution: OTC LIFTING EYE

I mounted it in the floor. I rig my hoist in it and pull my 40 back in the garage!!:hillbilly:

I know I'm not the first to think of this. But all of us should have one.
Adapt, Improvise, Overcome:clap: Thinking outside the box is what makes other people jealous. Good job Mate

Bikini Top installed. Shoulder belt moved up 1 hole. I'm 6'4 and this feels much better.

IMG_5121.JPG

IMG_5127.JPG

IMG_5141.JPG

Can you guys tell me what these 3 wires go to. On a '75 40, they come out of the center of the firewall, thru the small grommet. I think one is for the temp sensor?? But I can't find the other 2 on the wiring diagram...View attachment 1423989

One is probably the fuel cutoff solenoid on the carb, temp sensor and something else. I'll have to look. Unless your handle refers to you having a diesel, then I'm not sure.

One is probably the fuel cutoff solenoid on the carb, temp sensor and something else. I'll have to look. Unless your handle refers to you having a diesel, then I'm not sure.

Thank you! It has been a year since the gasser came out and apparently I didn't mark these...

Here's the marine paint being used by myself and @sterling on the inside of the roof cap.... in case anyone else is interested?

IMG_0708.JPG

I'm also digging old window/door caulk out of my rain gutter so I can redo it with seam sealer... PO says to me: "squeezed bunch a that caulk in there and never had a nuther leak"! Maybe I'm making a mistake... :meh:

IMG_0715.JPG

Also working on my wheels...

IMG_0723.JPG

IMG_0727.JPG

IMG_0728.JPG

Last edited:
Completed my power steering conversion by finally putting on the new tie rod kit I bought a couple years ago. So much better! I can't believe I've driven this the last five years without it. Steering is tight and responsive. I replaced the connecting rod because the old one was bent, but if I did it again I would replace them all. Easier than getting the old ends out to reuse the rods.
IMG_20170320_175153_zpsjaqqlr8d.jpg

IMG_20170320_175146_zpsaxobncr3.jpg

Then I drove straight to the store and ordered new tires. Milestar Patagonia MTs in 305/70 16s to replace my 12 year old 285/75 16 BFG ATs. I hope they don't rub on the drag link, looks close. If they do, I'll just have to get new wheels.
MILESTAR_PATAGONIA_MT_fd71d3bc-f9e3-41ab-892e-eb1ffd6d9343_large_zpsqfptrkth.jpg

Don't know much about them, but I like the looks and they had good reviews from what I could find and the price was good.

Had some issues with the radiator over flowing (was probably just the cap), but decided that the rusty ole water pump was due for a replacement.

So.. New Water Pump, New Thermostat, New Upper Rad hose, New Lower Rad Hose, 2 gallons (undiluted) antifreeze, gasket goo, new gaskets, a bit of spray paint to clean up a few parts....

Oh - this is a Chevota - 76 FJ40 with a small-block v-8 (circa 1970)....

Of course - the new water pump - had a threaded bolt hole - that I have to find a bolt for.. So, still have a few bits to put back together.
but its looking a lot better ..

20170319_175354[1].jpg

When I purchased my 40 29 months ago, all the hoses were toast so I replaced everything. The valve which is supposed to cut off the hot water on the F engine head was rusted shut so it was eliminated. Then I had to endure heat from the heater all summer and found another cut off that was a bandaid. I did purchase a heater shut off valve from SOR but I can't find it. So I started looking around. The local Toyota dealer wanted $116 for the valve and I ended up finding it on eBay for $52.43 and free shipping. Arrived yesterday, took all of 45 minuter to install and now I have a proper shut off valve for much less than the Toyopta dealer wanted. BTW The valve came from www.APSZone.com.

Tomorrow I will remove the air compressor and air tank from the firewall and install a Viair compressor/tank combo behind the passenger seat to power the air horns.

DSCN0282.JPG

Had some issues with the radiator over flowing (was probably just the cap), but decided that the rusty ole water pump was due for a replacement.
20170324_082121.jpg

Oh - this is a Chevota - 76 FJ40 with a small-block v-8 (circa 1970)....

Of course - the new water pump - had a threaded bolt hole - that I have to find a bolt for.. So, still have a few bits to put back together.
but its looking a lot better ..

View attachment 1426743
Had to drill out the threads in the new water pump.... cause the thread pattern was different...sigh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom