Builds Fj40 re-rebuild! (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Leafs are tough, links are sweet!

Updates have been far and few between recently, I've been busy with my bike and working on the house.

Initially I wanted to build a tubed rear frame and tube bumper, but I just found out my wife is pregnant sor I'd like to get this thing back together and running!

Started to build the rear bumper out of 2x4 today and picked up half a stick of 2x3 for the frame.

Should have some updates by the end of the weekend.

20161118_133040.jpg

Small update. Ordered some flush mount fridgids (fake rigids). Not super necessary but gives it something extra I guess.

Also got the receiver tube welded in, I'll try and box in the ends on my lunch break today.

Trying to get the bumper and tube perfect flush was a real pain in the ass, but after welding, grinding, devil tool, welding grinding, devil tool, about 5 times, it came together!

Hopefully my lack of large updates will be made up by lot of pictures!

20161121_121606.jpg

20161121_115806.jpg

20161121_170209.jpg

20161121_130720.jpg

Last edited:
Looks nice!

Well I finally got a few hours in the garage today so I have some updates! I cut the frame rails back about another 16". Also cut a slight taper into the frame to accommodate the 1/2" difference between the new frame rails and the old. Also was able to build the new frame/bumper section.

I was pretty primitive on building the rear frame, I found the flattest spot on my garage floor, measured, adjusted, measured adjusted etc about a 100 times till I was happy. Tacked it up and found it all just as I wanted. I'll bring that part to work and weld it there, my little Lincoln kinda sucks nowadays.

The rails were only set inthere to check fitment, ill need to notch out the rear sill for clearance. I copied TXCRUZRs build on pirate a little bit, that thing is epic!! Now I'll have to design some cool fish plates and have a friend cut them out.

IMG_2987.JPG

IMG_2988.JPG

IMG_2992.JPG

IMG_2993.JPG

IMG_2994.JPG

Last edited:
Also, pulled a Wired HDH switch panel out of a customers car for an SPOD. When I wire customers cars, its beautiful, when I do my own, its a total hack job because I rush, so using this should make wiring the dash a dream. Should be the only switches on the dash.

IMG_2989.JPG

IMG_2990.JPG

I'm hoping that I won't have to unbolt anything else, I'm getting sick of unbolting things!

Hdh is out of business unfortunately. if have any problems, I can just replace it with an S-pod. they are definitely durable and a good product. the only additional wiring that would go to your battery would be 1 power andground. Then all your circuits go to the control box, and a ribbon cable goes to the switch panel.

It works great for the people that are afraid of the dark and need 10 light bars. but I plan to run headlights, running lights, wipers, maybe 1 set of aux lights, and 1 interior light. This thing hasn't had working wipers for close to 7 years now!

It's still stuck to that trim piece out of a JK. but it's just a small switch panel with an adhesive backing looks like this without the panel. I have a set of the billet dash panels from jtoutfitters, I'll get to the interior stuff later. Should be spring time.

HDH.JPG

Well I haven't been totally slacking. I finished up the rear frame and got it mostly burned in. I had some teraflex joints with an 1 1/4"-12 shanks laying around wanted to try something new for shackle hangers. Welded some bungs into the rear bumper and plug welded them to the face of it as well. It looks kinda goofy, but it functional and I'm sure pretty strong. Just going to roll with it for now.

It's sitting on its own weight again with a frame height of 22" so I'm very happy with the height.

I'll throw the drivelines in the weekend and get pinion angles dialed in.

The list of things is definitely dwindling down but it's the small things that take forever.

20161227_124122.jpg

20161227_125730.jpg

20170120_203222.jpg

Don't really have any great updates. Just been doing tons I'll find clean up and tying up loose ends everywhere. I put in a new chip that @White Stripe burned for my tbi. Seems to be running pretty well.

How much gear oil are you guys running in axles with pinion turned up for double cardon shafts?

Here's a current pic. I blew the dust off it today.

20170213_114917.jpg

Last edited:
It's been quite sometime since I've posted an update, but I have been working on it quite a bit.

Tons of odds and ends to tie up, but it is back to running and driving which feels so good to have done! Hasn't been driving for over a year!

Here's a few pics. Should be going wheeling in April or May for a maiden voyage.

20170321_184407.jpg

20170321_184527.jpg

It's been quite sometime since I've posted an update, but I have been working on it quite a bit.

Tons of odds and ends to tie up, but it is back to running and driving which feels so good to have done! Hasn't been driving for over a year!

Here's a few pics. Should be going wheeling in April or May for a maiden voyage.

View attachment 1425541

View attachment 1425542
I really like the stance, just right

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom