truth about spray on clear coat products ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my 93 80 series hood suffers from the notorious clear coat flake issue as so many do. I started a post elsewhere about my options and got a got an array of options and opinions. Unfortunately the obvious doing a re-paint even a cheap one is just not economically feasible so I'm looking at ultra low budget options.

One that intrigues me is a two stage spray on clear coat product that on one hand has huge amount of favorable reviews but on the other hand most of the paint and body sites seem to refute the ability to add any type of clear coat in a clear coat de-laminating situation. What's reality here ?

Here is the link to the product and I would appreciate thoughts and opinions.
2K clear coat: Spraymax

Thanks,
Brad

I was just thinking about trying some clear. It looks to me as if Eastwood's has struck a deal with whoever holds the spraymax patent. Or someone's found a way around the patent. Cause I see Eastwood now has a house brand 2K rattlecan. I've bought cygnus white 2k from APStower in a rattlecan. I also see a company called 66 auto color is loading cans of spraymax with paint.

However you’d apply a new clear coat, the issue is that whatever is causing the existing clear coat to delaminate won’t be solved by adding another layer on top of it. Really, you have to remove all of the existing clear coat before applying a new layer, otherwise the existing clear coat is just going to continue to delaminate and take the new clear coat with it.

However you’d apply a new clear coat, the issue is that whatever is causing the existing clear coat to delaminate won’t be solved by adding another layer on top of it. Really, you have to remove all of the existing clear coat before applying a new layer, otherwise the existing clear coat is just going to continue to delaminate and take the new clear coat with it.

At the risk of showing my complete ignorance on the subject how would one go about removing the existing problem clear coat and is it realistic for me to do so?

Check youtube, plenty of DIY type videos. Basically looks like you will have to wetsand the affected areas the clear/paint those areas again and blend and polish.

At the risk of showing my complete ignorance on the subject how would one go about removing the existing problem clear coat and is it realistic for me to do so?

That’s the million dollar question. You want to make sure you have all the previous clearcoat off but not burn through the paint layer. As Greg says, there is lots of information out there, but the question is on followup - did they get all the clearcoat off or were other areas peeling six months later?

If it were the whole vehicle, for all the time and effort put into sanding things down and such, you might as well go the extra distance, sand it down, repaint, and re-clearcoat. If it is just the hood and you’re not going for “perfect” then I’d experiment - wetsand the hood and just reapply the clearcoat. Worst case is that a year later you’ve learned a lesson, sand it all down, and start from repainting it.

That’s the million dollar question. You want to make sure you have all the previous clearcoat off but not burn through the paint layer. As Greg says, there is lots of information out there, but the question is on followup - did they get all the clearcoat off or were other areas peeling six months later?

If it were the whole vehicle, for all the time and effort put into sanding things down and such, you might as well go the extra distance, sand it down, repaint, and re-clearcoat. If it is just the hood and you’re not going for “perfect” then I’d experiment - wetsand the hood and just reapply the clearcoat. Worst case is that a year later you’ve learned a lesson, sand it all down, and start from repainting it.

PA, We are on the same page. I ordered the clear coat spray yesterday and figure worse case I'm out some elbow grease and $50.00 bucks.
My only other consideration is after I wet sand if I want to lay down a couple coats of the Duplicolor spray paint I bought. I tested it out on a couple of out of the way spots and the color match is actually very good but it is a spray can so I'm not sure how an entire hood would look versus just putting the clear coat on the existing factory paint with the flaking issues.

Putting down new paint with a spray can has the potential to be uneven over a larger area. But if you’re going to be painting, I’d be more aggressive with the sanding to make sure you took care of the clearcoat issue. You could put the paint down on the heavy side and then wetsand that to smooth it out before clearcoating.

The problem with adding clear is that it will show a line where the old base was exposed by loss of the original clear. The remedy on a new paint job, when you sand through clear to the base, is to apply another touch up coat of base over the sand through, then apply clear to the entire panel. Clear doesn't blend well into old clear, which is why most shops do the entire panel.

I'm far from an expert, but I think the delaminating clear will act similar to a sand through and should be treated similarly. Sand the panel with 600-800, being sure to sand off any clear with questionable adhesion. Spray base over the old exposed base and over the edge of the old clear, then clear the entire panel.

3 good coats of clear should be thick enough to allow some fine sanding/buffing

Don't.....!

Just paint the hood satin black and add a fart can exhaust
Trying to sand the old clear off without hitting the base colour will be almost impossible to pull off
Any sanding scratches in. The base colour will show
I don't know about using duplicolour rattle can
And putting the 2k clear over it
It could wrinkle up and you have a bigger mess
but if you talk to the paint supplier you can get the proper base colour mixed and put in a rattle can

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom