Frame Paint / POR15 Question regarding possible 4R purchase... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I just posted in the 100 series forum, but also needing some advice from this forum's vets as well. I am looking at a couple 4Runners that are selling near my area. The first is a '99 Highlander, the under carriage looks pretty good:

et8owz.jpg

15d813o.jpg

2ihmji8.jpg

And also a '01 Sport which looked really good as well:

1z5swux.jpg

2lsgy7a.jpg

I was wondering if either of the (from the photos I have provided) look to have been recently painted or hiding some rust. I have been searching my area for a few months now and these are the cleanest I have found and they feel a little TOO clean. Could anyone lend me some advice? Please and thanks in advance.

So I just posted in the 100 series forum, but also needing some advice from this forum's vets as well. I am looking at a couple 4Runners that are selling near my area. The first is a '99 Highlander, the under carriage looks pretty good:

et8owz.jpg

15d813o.jpg

2ihmji8.jpg

And also a '01 Sport which looked really good as well:

1z5swux.jpg

2lsgy7a.jpg

I was wondering if either of the (from the photos I have provided) look to have been recently painted or hiding some rust. I have been searching my area for a few months now and these are the cleanest I have found and they feel a little TOO clean. Could anyone lend me some advice? Please and thanks in advance.
Yes someone has painted the whole undercarriage very recently so that a buyer will think everything is great. It's a common practice by cheap used car dealers. I can see rust painted over. Likely they cleaned off any oil leaks as well. I would confront the owner with it and ask what he's trying to pull. Now, as to the rust and oil leaks, how bad are they? Tough to tell since everything is covered. The rust u could probably see how bad if you look in person carefully, but the oil leaks might not show up for a while. The question is, what else did they cover up?

All 5 pictures are from 2 different vehicles... are you saying that you feel both vehicles have recently been painted? I felt the same way, but was hoping I was just being overly cautious.

All 5 pictures are from 2 different vehicles... are you saying that you feel both vehicles have recently been painted? I felt the same way, but was hoping I was just being overly cautious.
Yes both look to have received aerosol paint to the frame recently. Some dealers will buy 4runners from the rust belt areas for cheap, shoot the underside with paint, and try to make a huge profit. Look at the frame from the rear control arms on back, that is where the worst rust forms. If that looks good your probably fine, but it can be hard to tell if they paint over rust.

I would run a CarFax and see where they have been registered. My 89 LC is that clean. Been in AZ it's whole life and kept off salted roads since I've owned it (93). Quick repaint you can usually see overspray. Not easy to mask off everything underneath.

If they have been properly cleaned and painted over with proper chassis paint, then why worry. I however have a feeling they may have painted them with rusteum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom