Fj40 project keep stock or flatbed conversion?? (1 Viewer)

Keep it stock or turn it into a flatbed?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, I'm 17, and don't have any experience rebuilding a car, but somehow I've managed to overhaul the fj40 I have engine, and I'm beginning working on the body just needs some work on the rear quarter panel and wheel well. I have some friends that have been doing this kinda stuff for years so I get some help from them. What I've been wondering is how hard would it be to cut the tub in half and make a flat bed for the rear? Or should I just stick to keeping. It stock for my first build? I would like to crawl it but I think that's out of my budget for now, mainly just for overlanding and such. Thanks

IMG_1727.PNG

IMG_1730.PNG

What does your rig currently look like in back? If it's already too far gone, then flatbed it. If not, leave it be..

The other Rig is Mudraks. Not a heck of a lot left stock on that one..

What does your rig currently look like in back? If it's already too far gone, then flatbed it. If not, leave it be..
X2 pics of your truck first

Btw thats my buddys green cruiser ... lives in VT ... that's his winter DD

It's a cool rig ... great off road
Do u think u could get me more pictures of it? Like from the sides and back, I've always wondered what it looks like from different angles couldn't find a got her pics online

IMG_0117.JPG

IMG_0118.JPG

Pretty much everyone on here is going to advocate keeping your fj40 stock unless things are DRASTICALLY bad. Your tub looks to be in VERY good shape for its age, so chopping it up would be a waste.

All things considered, you probably won't get much utility out of a trayback that small anyways, and adding one would take a lot of cutting and fabricating. It would definitely be easier and cheaper for you to repair any minor problems with the tub, and run it as stock-style ragtop.

Even if you don't have a ton of metal fabricating experience, pretty much every piece of sheet metal on these trucks has someone out there selling replacements. (Except the hard top sides :mad:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom