What have you done to your 200 Series this week? (21 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally got around to mounting our radio Saturday. I'm not going to lie, I really struggled with the look of the radio against the factory dash landscape, but I guess it's a necessary evil...

For the mic clip I used a magnetic mic clip and even though it looks like it's screwed to the dash it isn't, shhhh, VHB double stick tape:D:cool:

IMG_5385.JPG
IMG_5386.JPG
IMG_5388.JPG

Finally got around to mounting our radio Saturday. I'm not going to lie, I really struggled with the look of the radio against the factory dash landscape, but I guess it's a necessary evil...

For the mic clip I used a magnetic mic clip and even though it looks like it's screwed to the dash it isn't, shhhh, VHB double stick tape:D:cool:

View attachment 1424709 View attachment 1424710 View attachment 1424711

Man, no worries on the look! I think that looks great. I'd like a radio there too, but need to get my HAM license...

DOH!!

My starter just DIED...3 weeks after my radiator died... :bang:

I hate spending my mod-fund on boring stuff. :mad::wrench:

DOH!!

It's labor intensive to change starter. Ouch.

There are a couple of tutorials for the sequoia and Tundra. You could swap it for under $300 and a days work. Or pay a shop $1200+

Darn. My left wrist is still broken and in need of an operation. Officially non-weight-bearing. So most of the "wheelchair mods" I've posted have been done mostly with one hand...! Might make it tough. But wow. Hate to spend my 35's money on a dang starter...

Darn. My left wrist is still broken and in need of an operation. Officially non-weight-bearing. So most of the "wheelchair mods" I've posted have been done mostly with one hand...! Might make it tough. But wow. Hate to spend my 35's money on a dang starter...

Ugh, so sorry to hear that man. If I lived closer, I would certainly help in any way I could. Do you have a mechanic that can replace the starter for significantly less?

DOH!!

Man that does suck:mad: I don't suppose you can get a rebuild kit, like for an 80 series, and do the rebuild yourself and save some$?

Ugh, so sorry to hear that man. If I lived closer, I would certainly help in any way I could. Do you have a mechanic that can replace the starter for significantly less?

That's very kind of you, and I know you mean it. Thanks. Waiting for injuries to heal is getting really ooooold.

I'm already at Toyota.
Good news is they are doing it for $890 out the door.

It's money I hate to spend...but the normal cost really is 1200+. Called an independent shop that's usually cheaper and with OEM, even they wanted $900+. So... could be worse.

In other GOOD news...
I've now covered the 3 typical failures at this stage: radiator, water pump & starter.
So no worries come Breckenridge or in the boonies alone. :hillbilly:

Last edited:

Does your radio just happen to fit perfectly in the ash tray opening or did you have to modify the opening to make it fit?

Man, no worries on the look! I think that looks great. I'd like a radio there too, but need to get my HAM license...

Thanks and let me be the first, err hundredth, to tell you how easy it is to get your license:D

Does your radio just happen to fit perfectly in the ash tray opening or did you have to modify the opening to make it fit?

Actually I needed to trim a little notch in the upper corner of the trim around the ashtray opening about 1/4" wide by 1/2" tall

Previous owner - Ahmed, spilled some soft drink on A/C panel. I've dissasembled it, cleaned and soldered some switches. Now I've got my rear A/C back and recirculation working properly. I'm happy as a kid that got his favourite toy!!!!!

It's money I hate to spend...

In other GOOD news...
I've now covered the 3 typical failures at this stage: radiator, water pump & starter.
So no worries come Breckenridge or in the boonies alone. :hillbilly:

That's how ya gotta look at it man. Better it happen now than in then boonies...

Guy

Made up some new front tow points.

J

View attachment 1425416

Nice! Gotta say... The ARB recovery points are literally like tank-armor (OK, Taco...maybe not LITERALLY, but they are incredibly strong). It's just that I couldn't help feeling a little taken advantage of on the ARBs when they cost the better of $90 for a single piece of metal.

I'm genuinely curious (since you are going to the trouble of actually MAKING these yourself)... -What do you think is a fair price?

Nice! Gotta say... The ARB recovery points are literally like tank-armor (OK, Taco...maybe not LITERALLY, but they are incredibly strong). It's just that I couldn't help feeling a little taken advantage of on the ARBs when they cost the better of $90 for a single piece of metal.

I'm genuinely curious (since you are going to the trouble of actually MAKING these yourself)... -What do you think is a fair price?

I personally have no idea on actual pricing but for reference, his other recovery points are $55/pair. So probably very reasonably priced for grade 70 mounts that are probably strong enough to hang your 200 from.

I'll know more in about a week, hopefully sooner. I'm hoping that a pair of mine will be the same price as a single ARB. My material is a bit stronger than the ARB, but the cost isn't that much more from a strength standpoint.

ARB = 50ksi-- 350Mpa
Trail Tailor = 70ksi-- 480Mpa

J

I personally have no idea on actual pricing but for reference, his other recovery points are $55/pair. So probably very reasonably priced for grade 70 mounts that are probably strong enough to hang your 200 from.

Ya, but $90 wasn't for a pair. It was $90 per EACH. :)

My 2 cents here. Word of advice on front tow hooks strength. I would keep factory strength. I rather bent a factory tow hook than a front cross member. I bent a Tundra tow hook last year in Moab. @kreiten has a picture of it somewhere here. Since tow hook was strong it also twisted front cross member.

It would be nice to move front tow point higher than factory location.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom